oatmeal

Options
LiftForRevenge
LiftForRevenge Posts: 19 Member
Plain oatmeal... how do I make this taste better without adding salt, milk or butter to it. suggestions anyone?

Replies

• CCGwald
    CCGwald Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like raisins, dried cranberries, almonds and cinnamon.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Fry it. I am seriously addicted to this. Make ordinary oatmeal in microwave, fry it as a patty in a pan (I use minimal oil). Fried/poached egg on top (~200kcal) <--lazy way.

The ordinary, non-lazy way is to make oatmeal ahead of time, refrigerate it in a form so it becomes solid. Cut up slices in the morning and fry it in a pan.

• BeesmaMFP
    BeesmaMFP Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon, nutmeg, and raisins.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I add granola and mixed berries - maybe drizzle honey if in the mood.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    protein powder and nut butter.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I use gluten-free steel cut oatmeal. The steel cut has a really nice nutty crunch to it. I put blueberries in it for the last couple of minutes while it's simmering, and they pop open and flavor it nicely. I put a teaspoon or two of brown sugar in it when it's done and a dash of cinnamon and that's it!
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of sugar free flavor syrup, French Vanilla, and Caramel. I use that along with adding raw blueberries or strawberries. I finish it with a touch of cinamon....ok more like a spoonful.
  • heyspearsy
    heyspearsy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I add blueberries.
  • Tandy63
    Tandy63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    use brown sugar splenda and dash of skim milk awesome
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I eat foods I enjoy. If you don't enjoy the texture and flavor of oatmeal, perhaps find something else that does please your palate. I add yogurt and currants to mine.

If you enjoy salt/milk/butter, perhaps you would prefer toast, an English muffin, or scrambled eggs.
  • GramBux
    GramBux Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use any combination of frozen grapes, frozen or fresh blueberries, walnut halves, cinnamon and skim milk. My grapes are frozen because the quantity is so large to buy and I can't eat before they become raisins.
  • GramBux
    GramBux Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Overnight Oatmeal taken from Good Housekeeping: 3/4 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup oatmeal (old fashioned), 1/2 tsp chia seeds, 1/2 ripe banana sliced, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract to a container with a lid. Close and shake well to mix. Refrigerate overnight and enjoy in the a.m.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I put it in the microwave with the recommended water amount, and 3 egg whites. It makes it so fluffy and fantastic!
  • amphilion
    amphilion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon, blueberries!!
  • sererev
    sererev Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    smash half a banana in it while you cook it, it sweetens but not too much and adds a creamy consistency.... makes all the difference, trust me!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Things I add (not all at once, but some combination of):
    • Banana
    • cinnamon
    • Apple
    • Brown Sugar
    • Pear
    • granola
  • golfs321
    golfs321 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1 tbsp of honey
  • twinoakbob
    twinoakbob Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I live on oatmeal. This wonderful whole grain keeps me full, stabilize my blood sugar and simply delish!

I add chia and hemp seeds or almond sliver, blueberries, ceylon cinnamon. Sometimes walnuts instead of almonds and goji berries. Super versatile whole grain that takes any flavor you add. Just read PB-- sounds yummy! I'll try that too! :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Sweetener
    Nut butter or PB2
    Fruit (such as blueberries, banana, or raisins)
    Sugar-free or Walden Farms pancake syrup
    Cinnamon
    Honey

Why can't you add milk and butter? You can save calories by using reduced fat or almond/cashew milk, but still get the creaminess. I add butter to my oats because I have a hard time reaching my fat goal and adding a bit of butter is an easy way to get more fat in. Nothing wrong with butter.