Losing while maintaining

Options
Hi, everyone:

I'm currently close to my goal of 135 or 26" waist, whichever comes first. (Started at 160, 30" waist). When I reached 138 pounds, I switched to maintenance, which for me is 1600 plus eating back any exercise calories, which I almost always do. However, I'm continuing to lose. I know things will even out, but I wondered if t other folks continued to lose as they maintained and if there are any suggestions as to how to strike the right balance.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    To find the right balance you have to experiment - the maintenance setting is just an estimate. Same as your food and exercise logging are just estimates.

So really it's as simple as eat more!
    It took me about 10 weeks to find my true maintenance numbers and even then it can change. I seem to need slightly more in winter and less in summer for example.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight, then you're not eating at maintenance. It's not rocket science - eat more.
  • just4me123456
    just4me123456 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ha
    If you're losing weight, then you're not eating at maintenance. It's not rocket science - eat more.

No, I suppose it isn't :)
  • just4me123456
    just4me123456 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    To find the right balance you have to experiment - the maintenance setting is just an estimate. Same as your food and exercise logging are just estimates.

So really it's as simple as eat more!
    It took me about 10 weeks to find my true maintenance numbers and even then it can change. I seem to need slightly more in winter and less in summer for example.

Thanks, that is helpful advice!
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I had that happen to me, but it took me a while to figure it out, because 1) my weight fluctuates a lot and 2) I was losing very slowly. I've been in maintenance for about 4 months and I'm still working on finding out what my numbers are. I probably only need to add 50-75 calories a day, and I think it's because I'm burning slightly more in my workouts than I have been logging.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone:

I'm currently close to my goal of 135 or 26" waist, whichever comes first. (Started at 160, 30" waist). When I reached 138 pounds, I switched to maintenance, which for me is 1600 plus eating back any exercise calories, which I almost always do. However, I'm continuing to lose. I know things will even out, but I wondered if t other folks continued to lose as they maintained and if there are any suggestions as to how to strike the right balance.

Thanks in advance

You have to understand that none of these calculators can dictate to you exactly what maintenance is...these calculators are reasonably good starting points based on population statistics...you still have to make changes per actual, real world results.

If you're actually still losing as a general trend (not natural fluctuations that can be up or down) then you need to eat more.

Do keep in mind that your weight isn't static though...you will fluctuate up and down...nobody weighs exactly XXX Lbs...this is why watching the overall trend is important.

Also keep in mind that your maintenance number is also not a static thing. My maintenance numbers are much higher in the warmer months because I'm just generally more active...not just exercise, but just generally out and about doing things...going to the zoo or for a family hike in the mountains, etc. In the winter my calories are lower because, while I still workout, my level of general activity goes down.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    When I reached my goal I would occasionally slip backwards and lose again. I had to play with my macros not my calories. Once I upped my protein quite a bit I stayed steady.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    When I reached my goal I would occasionally slip backwards and lose again. I had to play with my macros not my calories. Once I upped my protein quite a bit I stayed steady.

That makes no sense as it is calories that dictates weight loss/maintenance/gains.
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When I reached maintenance, my daily MFP calculation was about 1500. I continued losing so slowly added calories each week. I found that I gained at 1700, but maintaned at 1600. I've been doing well on 1600/day for past 2-3 months.