Dentist Apt after work and can barely focus!

Options
I'm finally going to the dentist after work today. Between my alcoholism, bad eating habits and abject fear of the dentist I haven't been in 10 years. I went in for a basic exam about a month ago and they told me they can't even do a regular cleaning bcuz too much plaque built up. Ugh. So disgusted with myself and who I used to be. Anyway I start the deep cleaning process today and I am TERRIFIED. The main reason I stopped going was because of the anxiety attacks I get in all doctor offices so this should be really interesting. I really want a Fillet-O-Fish (my ultimate eat-my-emotions food). I'm being semi good and munching on popcorn instead but my heart is racing and I can't even focus on what I'm doing.

Someone please tell that this isn't going to hurt that bad? :sad:

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Well, I can promise you it will hurt a lot less than having your teeth completely removed!!

Take some pain killers before you go if you have a lower pain tolerance. Maybe take an ipod and some headphones to distract yourself?

Good luck!!!
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My hubby goes to the dentist twice a year and he had to have a deep cleaning too. It's really no big deal and dentistry is really a gentler profession than some remember.

Just try to imagine the boost of confidence you'll have once your teeth are all pretty again.

If that doesn't work, ask the dentist if they can prescribe you something for the anxiety to take beforehand for future appointments. There's no shame in needing something like that once in a while.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Does your dentist do sedation dentistry? I see TV ads all the time for this kind of dental care for people who are anxious (more than usual, that is).
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Does your dentist do sedation dentistry? I see TV ads all the time for this kind of dental care for people who are anxious (more than usual, that is).

I had thought of this but I would have to pay out of pocket since the plan I have through my work wouldn't pay for it. Painkiller ahead of time is a good idea though! I heard the only part this kind of hurts is when they clean in the gums but I'll survive lol

I actually have quite a high pain threshold, mostly mental conditioning because I always refuse to go to a doctor. :tongue:

I will feel great after though! I just know that the boost of confidence will be worth it. Thank goodness I don't pass out after eating a bunch of junk food and sugary cocktails every night anymore, I will never let this happen again!
  • minnndymae
    minnndymae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Been there! Its not terrible...does your dentist have NOS???! lol works wonders!! ...the part I hated was the video my dentist made me watch afterwards, like I'm a little kid needing to go back to the basics... :blushing: I won't be going 10 years without going to the dentist again tho, thats for sure! You'll do fine, just pretend your out running and get outta your head for a bit :flowerforyou:

Don't feel so down on yourself over it tho either...we ALL make mistakes and sometimes live how we know we shouldn't, doesn't make us bad people.

Good luck chica!!
  • sandym1988
    sandym1988 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know you posted this yesterday so you've already been BUT they SHOULD have gotten you numb before they did the quad scale. I work for a dentist & very rarely do we do any work (besides a regular cleaning or a denture adjustment) without the person being numb, and when we do that, it is patient preference. There is also a sedation pill we give our patients one hour before hand (if they're very anxious & want to be sedated). It's called Halcion, from what I understand you wouldn't remember anything afterwards. ALWAYS chose a dentist/supporting staff you are comfortable with. We always have people come here that have horror stories of other offices. I hope everything went well!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    I'm finally going to the dentist after work today. Between my alcoholism, bad eating habits and abject fear of the dentist I haven't been in 10 years. I went in for a basic exam about a month ago and they told me they can't even do a regular cleaning bcuz too much plaque built up. Ugh. So disgusted with myself and who I used to be. Anyway I start the deep cleaning process today and I am TERRIFIED. The main reason I stopped going was because of the anxiety attacks I get in all doctor offices so this should be really interesting. I really want a Fillet-O-Fish (my ultimate eat-my-emotions food). I'm being semi good and munching on popcorn instead but my heart is racing and I can't even focus on what I'm doing.

Someone please tell that this isn't going to hurt that bad? :sad:
    They'll numb you up. It hurts more when it wears off. Teeth and gum health are very important and ask your dentist how that health affects your heart. You'll be surprised.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sapphies
    sapphies Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have the same anxiety about doctors/dentists. For example, I had a baseline mammogram done yesterday and I have my self convinced I have cancer. The few days it will take to get the results will be torture!!

So, anyway. I had a deep scaling on my teeth, because of bad plaque build up. It was not that bad. Dentist offer numbing agents for the scaling's. The first time I had it done they used a topical spray and the second time they used novicaine. It was okay. I have found that the not knowing was worse than the visits them selves.