What triggered your decision to start losing weight?

Options
CarmellBear
CarmellBear Posts: 6 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Exactly a year ago my sister passed away at the age of 22. I have been dreading this month, May, all year. Instead of reliving every day from last May I wanted something to take my mind off of it.
I broke out my summer clothes a few weeks ago and realized they were fitting a bit tight; I'm also starting Nursing School in the fall and I have obviously already gained the "freshman 15".
So inorder to give myself a healthier start in sept and fit back into my summer clothes I decided that I needed to start eating right and being more active.
Which was a perfect thing to focus on this May. Something that would not only improve myself physical and save me a few bucks, in regards to clothes, but I'd be taking care of myself emotionally.
Working out clears my mind and every day I remind myself i'm doing this for my Body and my Mind.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply
- Carmell

Replies

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your sister and the pain you are going through. But congratulations on starting nursing school; it'll be a tough journey but worth every struggle in the end. The world needs good, caring, compassionate nurses! I'm in the medical field myself (EMS). Good for you for making the decisions you have. There are lots of lovely supportive people on this board, so hopefully you can make some good connections. Read up on a lot of the posts; I have learned so much about lifelong diet and exercise, as well as mindset. Best wishes on your journey.
  • KOW75
    KOW75 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss but so impressed with your decision to channel your focus into something positive! You go!

I am a runner. I started to combat stress and keep doing it because I love it. The problem is I am carrying too much weight on my frame and causing myself little injuries that limit my ability to run. So I decided May was the time to focus on health and weight loss. I am eating whole foods, limiting portions and cooking at home.
  • Momma_Raucks
    Momma_Raucks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    :( Im sorry to hear about your sister. My story is similar to a lot of people I think. It all started with a desire to be more than I was right then. I saw a picture of myself and didnt like what I saw. So I started working out, that changed nothing. I started eating clean. That changed nothing. I hired a food coach and did Lee Labrada's 12 week transformation and it changed my life. Now I am eager for more.

Good luck with your journey.
  • joanalerias
    joanalerias Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your lost :( I can't imagine how it would be to loose one of my sisters..

I've started this diet because every year I gain 1 kg or something like that..and after all this time I feel that it would make me feel better to have less 10 kilograms..I am just not sure if this program will help that much, but we'll see.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    mine is a bit trite in comparison but I got married in 2009 to the love of my life...I was at 178lbs...ballooned up to 205lbs...then my dad got remarried...and I had to be in photo and I saw them on FB and was totally mortified I was in an extra large dress with a tummy control panel and wow...just wow.

But I yo yo'd for 3 years then found MFP in 2013...I haven't looked back since....