My doctors advice on my ideal weight is wrong

Options
Seigla
Seigla Posts: 172 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,

I was 106 kg, lost about 20 kg now. When I was still around 88 my doctor said that I shouldn't lose more. I am 1.86 meters and so my BMI was still above 25, in the overweight range (I am aware that doesn't say everything, especially because I have a lot of muscle, but I think I still had about 16% body fat). I also told her that I loved to exercise and that I did that 4 times a week. She warned me not to do that more either, that 30 minutes per day is enough.

I need to be active in order to feel alive and I'd like to be active for much more than 30 minutes a day, I think 30 minutes of activity is just a minimum to prevent illnesses. I don't worry about preventing illnesses, my standard is much higher; I want to become the strongest version of myself. I feel alive when I am active and I want to become a great triathlete. I agree with her that there should be a limit, but she places it so low. And to be honest she was a bit big herself, which made it harder for me to take this advice serious (I felt bad about thinking this though).

Of course she has a lot of patients that are different from me, most people don't like exercise. And she's probably seen some who have health problems because they did it too much or in a bad way, and the same for weight loss. So I think I understand why she gives me this advice, but my life is not about being careful and preventing every risk, my life is about being truly alive, about becoming stronger, growing, moving! And of course I use my brains to make good choices in how I exercise and how much weight I lose.

So, I was happy when this happened: 2 months ago I spoke with a foot doctor because I had flat feet, and I said that I would adjust my goals (I wanted to do an ironman 70.3 this year) and do that next year. He said "noooo, I understand you want to be careful, but that may not be necessary. if we fix this issue you may just be able to do it this year, and why not try?". I loved that!

What do you think and what are your experiences with doctors?

Cheers,
Jasper

Replies

• DrLauraDVM16
    DrLauraDVM16 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Doctors are human, and have a lot of opinions. If you ask 10 doctors advice on one question, you'll probably get 10 different opinions. If working out makes you feel good, do it. If it hurts (bad hurt, not good hurt!) stop or back off. Sounds like your podiatrist is going to help, and I think you may need to look for another GP. You and this one are not a good fit!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My doctor is young and up to date with her studies. She is very happy with my weight loss and exercise habits and has the ability to help me with injury due to her major in sports medicine...Yah. She is estatic that I live heavy and eat lots of protein....

You have to remember that on average a GP has 23 hours of nutritional classes during their entire time of study unless they specialize.

I get what you are saying about taking advice from her tho...but remember that lots of people can give advice based on knowledge and experience even if they don't follow it.

But at 6 ft 3 and 193lbs and 16% BF...you sound pretty lean(based on my son being your height and knowing what he looks like at 190lbs). If you want to lower bodyfat perhaps try a recomp or bulk/cut cycles...
  • Seigla
    Options
    Good point I can just find a new one. Added it to my todo list! ;)

And yeah there's good hurt and bad hurt and it's important to take it serious if you feel the latter.

Btw I do like my doctor as a person, but in many ways we think differently so yeah it may be better to find another.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think your doctor is just uneducated in fitness and exercise.from my experience, they're used to dealing with patients who have a lot of complaints and then prescribe anti depressants when they're not necessary. Then they make it out like all your problems are mental and never take you seriously.... I went to a doctor once because I was having difficulty sleeping. And told him I would wake up every few hours and have a hard time falling asleep again. And he was like "let's put you on a trial of Wellbutrin and see how that goes" I was like WTF? And just left to see another doctor.

Also, how did the foot doctor go? I have flat feet too, but never thought it was necessarily bad, I haven't had them checked out.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Well, 30 minutes 3x a week sure as hell ain't gonna get you to IronMan! :smiley:

The first doctor is giving generic advice - it's worth considering switching to a doctor who is themselves more athletic. First hand experience does have value!

• Seigla
    Options
    @galgenstrick - yeah it went very well. My injury got cured (I had bad pain in my lower leg) and I can finally go exercising again. I've got insoles now for both my running shoes and my regular shoes. Cost me some money, but they are working so it was worth it for sure.

@SezxyStef - sounds like a great doctor, I hope to find someone like that! :)
    23 hours of nutritional classes is nothing. I spent way more time educating myself on that topic. So that explains something. And yeah she can give good advice even if she doesn't follow it herself, which is why I think I felt bad thinking that.
    And yeah I am pretty lean, not unhappy about it, but still I see I have the potential to lose more. I would like to have a BF% of around 8% or so. Would make me a lot quicker at triathlons! ;)
    So I agree that for general health it is not necessary for me to lose more, but for my own goals (to become a better athlete) it is good.
  • Seigla
    Options
    @Mr_Knight - yeah I will ask my podiatrist (who's been an athlete himself) if he knows a doctor who is more athletic (without telling him the story about the other doctor; I don't want to gossip about her).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I personally don't worry about BMI...I'm overweight per BMI, but at a totally healthy BF% which is what counts. As far as the exercise advice, is there maybe some other reason she suggested only 30 minutes per day? Do you have any other underlying health conditions?

Keep in mind that it is pretty difficult and not particularly healthy to maintain very low BF%...8% is pretty low and most competitors don't maintain that year around. 10-12% is more manageable...for me, 12% is pretty much ideal and easily maintainable and my hormones don't go into crazy town.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Your GP is concerned about exercise injuries from pushing yourself too hard. I think if you explain that you know what you are doing then there won't be a problem.
  • Seigla
    Options
    @cwolfman13 - 10% is fine too, 8% is just an estimate. That's exactly what I wanted to discuss with her, but because she placed the standard so low I couldn't. She did not understand my goals; she was arguing from her position that is that you should exercise and maintain a weight for your general health. So I should find a doctor who has the knowledge and experience to help me set the right goal with my goals in mind.

@fearlessleader104 - Indeed she seemed to be, and of course a lot of people get injured for that reason. I am always very careful, for example I don't make sudden (extreme) changes in my exercise routine, only gradual ones.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is only looking out for your general health, that's what they do...I don't think you'll find a GP in the world who is going to be concerned about your overall fitness goals...being 8% BF has nothing to do with being healthy...doing triathlons has nothing to do with being healthy, etc. A doctors advice is going to be geared more towards your general health and well being.
  • Seigla
    Options
    I kind of agree with you, but health to me is not just about delaying death or about avoiding getting ill, that's just one side of the spectrum (the negative one)... there's also the positive side... becoming stronger, faster, more energetic, etcetera. Of course the many people have health issues and that's what doctors are very busy with and I understand that they may place their goals lower, because they would be very happy if people would just made basic healthy life choices and avoid all the health problems that they encounter every day. That would be great indeed, but there's also a group of people who have no health concerns and who have the opportunity to become stronger.

Anyways my point is not that she is a bad doctor, I actually think she's good, we just don't match.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Going by BMI doesn't always work. I weigh 215, so I'm still considered overweight by the BMI charts, but I can't tell it to look at me. I intend to drop to 208, which will put me only two pounds below the high end of normal, but I already have people telling me I don't need to lose any more weight.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Going by BMI doesn't always work. I weigh 215, so I'm still considered overweight by the BMI charts, but I can't tell it to look at me. I intend to drop to 208, which will put me only two pounds below the high end of normal, but I already have people telling me I don't need to lose any more weight.

People have told me that I have never looked what I weigh. I guess they figured I had not Muscle mass until I got small enough to see muscle definition. With that said I feel the BMI chart need to die like food pyramid and just have body fat% be the need standard.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    SirJaseph wrote: »
    23 hours of nutritional classes is nothing. I spent way more time educating myself on that topic. So that explains something. And yeah she can give good advice even if she doesn't follow it herself, which is why I think I felt bad thinking that.
    And yeah I am pretty lean, not unhappy about it, but still I see I have the potential to lose more. I would like to have a BF% of around 8% or so. Would make me a lot quicker at triathlons! ;)
    So I agree that for general health it is not necessary for me to lose more, but for my own goals (to become a better athlete) it is good.

The issue really is that it's not a doctor you should have gone to for this advice. The information they have is based on population data, not individuals - meaning they know the basic guidelines for how to keep people healthy, but aren't qualified to help with individual goals. Check out this fact sheet and you'll notice that 8% and below can actually carry some significant medical risks in men; and that even if you are at 16% BF (which is sounds like you're completely guessing at) that would place you within a healthy range. In fact, for your age (you sit right on the line of the adjustment) you could be considered in "exceptional health" with a body fat of 10.5-14.5%. This is likely why your doctor said what she did. The average person isn't looking to train for an Iron Man or a Triathalon.
  • Seigla
    Options
    Good point yopeeps025, I see that BMI doesn't make sense and somehow I still use it. So yeah, from now I will just stop using BMI on myself (and for individual cases in general) and only use body fat% (and just how I look in the mirror).

@TimothyFish - so you make some great progress, nice! About what people say; I don't listen to it in general, because I don't think people nowadays have a good idea about what a healthy weight is. If I look around to people above 30 in the pool or at the beach I see that a lot are overweight and I think that if you are just slightly overweight that people already think you're thin. But again I agree that BMI is not the right indicator. You may have a lot of muscle/bone mass.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Good point yopeeps025, I see that BMI doesn't make sense and somehow I still use it. So yeah, from now I will just stop using BMI on myself (and for individual cases in general) and only use body fat% (and just how I look in the mirror).

@TimothyFish - so you make some great progress, nice! About what people say; I don't listen to it in general, because I don't think people nowadays have a good idea about what a healthy weight is. If I look around to people above 30 in the pool or at the beach I see that a lot are overweight and I think that if you are just slightly overweight that people already think you're thin. But again I agree that BMI is not the right indicator. You may have a lot of muscle/bone mass.

I remember when I had my last bod pod done. I made a goal to get down to 10-14% body fat which If I am able to do perfectly, with no muscle loss, would leave me in a in shape overweight BMI.
  • Seigla
    Options

The issue really is that it's not a doctor you should have gone to for this advice. The information they have is based on population data, not individuals - meaning they know the basic guidelines for how to keep people healthy, but aren't qualified to help with individual goals. Check out this fact sheet and you'll notice that 8% and below can actually carry some significant medical risks in men; and that even if you are at 16% BF (which is sounds like you're completely guessing at) that would place you within a healthy range. In fact, for your age (you sit right on the line of the adjustment) you could be considered in "exceptional health" with a body fat of 10.5-14.5%. This is likely why your doctor said what she did. The average person isn't looking to train for an Iron Man or a Triathalon.

About the 16% BF estimation: I see how you think my 16% bodyfat estimation sounds like a complete guess, but I actually did a dexa scan when I was 86 kg and the result was 15% body fat, so from that I estimate that at the time when I went to the doctor I had about 16% (which should be accurate).

I did not aim to be below 8%, and my 8% goal was just a guess and I am looking for the right weight, so 10.5-12% is fine to me too. Thanks for the fact sheet, very useful! :)
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is concerned with general health not with high levels of fitness. It sounds as if you want your GP to act more like a sport specific coach. If you want a coach, then get a coach don't have an unreasonable expectation or ask your family doctor to work out of scope. Whether or not your doctor agrees with your sport specific training is just polite chit chat and warm fuzzies...not medical care.
  • Seigla
    edited May 2015
    Options
    well they always say "discuss with your doctor before losing weight" and "discuss with your doctor when you choose go exercising", so I expected to be able to do that. But yeah doctors are mainly concerned with general health and they are busy enough, so I understand. And you're right indeed a coach is a better person. Still I think it would be nice to have a GP who also has a bit more knowledge about nutrition and exercise and I'm going to look for such a person.