Got fish?

Options
So my I'm looking for new lean protiens rather than just chicken and Pork. Husband is not a sea food fan so making crab and shrimp is out of the question but we are both open to the idea of fish. What are some good non fishy tasting fish and what are some good recipies for them? If you have ideas please share :) Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• MrsAvent79
    MrsAvent79 Posts: 18
    Options
    You may want to try a Tilapia, as it's a light fish that's not a "fishy fish".. if that makes sense. Bass is also very good mild fish.

Salmon and Tuna are probably too much for you... but good luck :)

Allrecipes.com
  • MikeBenWilliams
    Options
    I think Cod, grouper, and flounder are pretty mild tasting choices. I also think it's important to get some of the fatty fishes in your diet like salmon and sardines. These fish contain several vital nutrients that others do not. If you season them well, and add some other things like lemon and a side dish, you'll be surprised how great they taste and how great you feel afterwards.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I work at a fish restaurant and fish market so you are in luck lol.

Anything that tastes fishy is usually not the freshest, but sometimes the fish will taste more like the ocean when it has a higher fat content i.e. salmon.

If you want none fishy tasting fish try starting out with lemon sole, flounder, grey sole, halibut, swordfish, scrod, haddock, black sea bass, and grouper. Tilapia is good too, but make SURE you trim out the blood line.

King Salmon is pricey but is not as fishy tasting as regular Salmon. There are a plethora of ways to cook salmon to make it not fishy and still healthy. You can coat it in honey and/or dijon mustard and broil/bake it; teriyaki glaze works wonders; you can do lemon caper, butter dill, or even a curry sauce.

I'll link a good flavor profile for many kinds of fish that will help you determine which you would try, but lemon sole and flounder are the most mild, lemon sole is very very mild.

Here is a fish directory from our restaurant describing the flavors of fish. Feel free to contact me anytime and I can give you a handful of ideas as far as preparation. And the key is to always try and find the freshest fish to avoid fishiness.

arctic Char: a distinctive flavor, somewhere between that of salmon and trout. Moderately firm meat with a finer flake than salmon or trout. A high fat content keeps it moist.

atlantic salmon: milder than that of the wild salmon species. The meat is moderately firm and oily, though not as fatty as the wild King salmon. It has a large, moist flake. It is farm-raised.

black Sea Bass: a small, plump fish related to grouper. It has a mild, fresh, somewhat delicate flavor and a tender but firm texture.

bluefish: a strong distinctive fish flavor. The oily meat is soft with large bluish gray flakes.

catfish: a consistently sweet, mild taste with a fresh water twang. The moist, dense meat is firm and has fewer flakes than typical whitefish. It is farm-raised

chilean Sea Bass: has a rich, melt – in – your – mouth flavor. The moderately oily meat is tender and moist with large, thick flakes.

flounder: is pure white, lean, thin, and flaky with a sweet flavor.

grouper it has sweet and mild flavor somewhere between bass and halibut with a firm moist texture.

haddock: a delicate flake and slightly sweet taste give it a wonderful, melt – in – the – mouth appeal. The lean meat has a firm yet tender texture, and the flake is finer than cod.

halibut: a very mild, sweet – tasting, lean fish with fine – grained, and dense meat. The snow – white meat is flaky and tender though still firm.

king Salmon: has a pronounced, buttery, rich taste. Its oily, flaky, flesh is softer than that of other wild salmon species.

lemon Sole: the meat is pure white, lean, boneless, and flaky with a mild flavor.

mako Shark: is moist and slightly sweet, with a full – bodied, meaty taste. Both flavor and texture are similar to swordfish, but the flesh of mako is moister, and the meat is not as sweet.

ocean Perch: is mild tasting yet a bit sweet, with a moderately firm texture. The meat is lean, moist and flaky.

rainbow Trout: is mild, with a delicate, nut – like flavor. The flesh is tender, flaky and soft. When the meat is cooked, it has a delicate flake and the color pales. We serve it whole. It is farm-raised

red Snapper: is lean and moist, with a sweetly mild, distinctive flavor. The semi-firm texture is lean but moist. The American Red Snapper is second to none.

scrod (aka baby cod): the lean meat has a mild, clean flavor and large, tender flakes. It’s less firm than haddock and sweeter than Pacific cod.

swordfish: is moist and flavorful with a slightly sweet taste. Steaks have moderately high oil content, lending to a firm, meaty texture.

tilapia: The mild, sweet tasting, lean – meated tilapia has a slightly firm, flaky texture. Water quality and feed are critical to the raising of premium tilapia. It is farm-raised

yellowfin tuna: has a mild, meaty flavor similar to swordfish. It is firm but moist, with large flakes. Yellowfin is also served raw as sashimi and in sushi.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Cod
    Orange roughy
    Trout - Trout is crazy bland, so find a recipe with good seasonings or try it smoked.
    Catfish
    Halibut

All of these fish are good oven baked, grilled, poached, or blackened (OK, don't blacken the trout, the seasoning is all you'll taste)

Don't know if you'd be open to it, but you might try eating fish raw as sashimi or sushi. I personally don't like 99% of fish when cooked for the fishy taste, but I love it raw. Or smoked - I love cold smoked trout and salmon.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I work at a fish restaurant and fish market so you are in luck lol.

Anything that tastes fishy is usually not the freshest, but sometimes the fish will taste more like the ocean when it has a higher fat content i.e. salmon.

If you want none fishy tasting fish try starting out with lemon sole, flounder, grey sole, halibut, swordfish, scrod, haddock, black sea bass, and grouper. Tilapia is good too, but make SURE you trim out the blood line.

King Salmon is pricey but is not as fishy tasting as regular Salmon. There are a plethora of ways to cook salmon to make it not fishy and still healthy. You can coat it in honey and/or dijon mustard and broil/bake it; teriyaki glaze works wonders; you can do lemon caper, butter dill, or even a curry sauce.

I'll link a good flavor profile for many kinds of fish that will help you determine which you would try, but lemon sole and flounder are the most mild, lemon sole is very very mild.

Here is a fish directory from our restaurant describing the flavors of fish. Feel free to contact me anytime and I can give you a handful of ideas as far as preparation. And the key is to always try and find the freshest fish to avoid fishiness.

arctic Char: a distinctive flavor, somewhere between that of salmon and trout. Moderately firm meat with a finer flake than salmon or trout. A high fat content keeps it moist.

atlantic salmon: milder than that of the wild salmon species. The meat is moderately firm and oily, though not as fatty as the wild King salmon. It has a large, moist flake. It is farm-raised.

black Sea Bass: a small, plump fish related to grouper. It has a mild, fresh, somewhat delicate flavor and a tender but firm texture.

bluefish: a strong distinctive fish flavor. The oily meat is soft with large bluish gray flakes.

catfish: a consistently sweet, mild taste with a fresh water twang. The moist, dense meat is firm and has fewer flakes than typical whitefish. It is farm-raised

chilean Sea Bass: has a rich, melt – in – your – mouth flavor. The moderately oily meat is tender and moist with large, thick flakes.

flounder: is pure white, lean, thin, and flaky with a sweet flavor.

grouper it has sweet and mild flavor somewhere between bass and halibut with a firm moist texture.

haddock: a delicate flake and slightly sweet taste give it a wonderful, melt – in – the – mouth appeal. The lean meat has a firm yet tender texture, and the flake is finer than cod.

halibut: a very mild, sweet – tasting, lean fish with fine – grained, and dense meat. The snow – white meat is flaky and tender though still firm.

king Salmon: has a pronounced, buttery, rich taste. Its oily, flaky, flesh is softer than that of other wild salmon species.

lemon Sole: the meat is pure white, lean, boneless, and flaky with a mild flavor.

mako Shark: is moist and slightly sweet, with a full – bodied, meaty taste. Both flavor and texture are similar to swordfish, but the flesh of mako is moister, and the meat is not as sweet.

ocean Perch: is mild tasting yet a bit sweet, with a moderately firm texture. The meat is lean, moist and flaky.

rainbow Trout: is mild, with a delicate, nut – like flavor. The flesh is tender, flaky and soft. When the meat is cooked, it has a delicate flake and the color pales. We serve it whole. It is farm-raised

red Snapper: is lean and moist, with a sweetly mild, distinctive flavor. The semi-firm texture is lean but moist. The American Red Snapper is second to none.

scrod (aka baby cod): the lean meat has a mild, clean flavor and large, tender flakes. It’s less firm than haddock and sweeter than Pacific cod.

swordfish: is moist and flavorful with a slightly sweet taste. Steaks have moderately high oil content, lending to a firm, meaty texture.

tilapia: The mild, sweet tasting, lean – meated tilapia has a slightly firm, flaky texture. Water quality and feed are critical to the raising of premium tilapia. It is farm-raised

yellowfin tuna: has a mild, meaty flavor similar to swordfish. It is firm but moist, with large flakes. Yellowfin is also served raw as sashimi and in sushi.

Very cool!
  • Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love mahi! We make it a lot. It makes fantastic blackened tacos. Or we will just grill it and make some grilled veggies to go with it. It's one of the few fish I can get everyone to eat.
    Stripped bass is another favorite and when we lived in NC would have a lot.
  • headertat
    headertat Posts: 6
    Options
    you like a fish God!! Thank you so much! I will deffinitly be contacting you in the future about the fish :)