How to stay active this weekend?

Options
jaga13
jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
For memorial day weekend, I will be staying with my husband's relatives near the beach Friday-Monday. So I will miss some of my "normal" workouts at home (I normally lift weights M, W, F; and run on T, Th, Sun). I won't have access to weights, or really much privacy any way. It's a lot of lounging around by the pool and eating/drinking. I'm trying to think of ways to discreetly add in more exercise (at home with my kids, I act like a fool, dancing or jogging in place, and my kids laugh, but I don't really want to do that in front of a bunch of in laws).

I hope we'll walk along the boardwalk, and maybe i can take the kids for a walk a few times around the neighborhood. If it's warm enough I'll actually swim in the pool, but weather sounds a little cool for the weekend.

Any other ideas? If I don't exercise I only get to eat 1250 a day for a .5 lb loss, which is a sad, small amount, so I want to get in more activity.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Swim in the pool. Walk or run on the beach.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    How long have you had this workout routine? Because this may sound odd, but taking a break from exercise for the weekend might actually benefit you more than trying to sneak in workouts.
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You could do yoga while away. There are so many apps and free youtube videos ranging in length and it's something you can do right inside your room (out of sight of the in-laws).
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender, Sworkit, and the Nike+ are all good bodyweight workout apps. Do them anywhere anytime.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Walk, run, swim, bicycle.
  • jaga13
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    How long have you had this workout routine? Because this may sound odd, but taking a break from exercise for the weekend might actually benefit you more than trying to sneak in workouts.

How would it benefit? It's been a while, but it allows me to eat more and I've been steadily losing weight!
  • jaga13
    Options
    I'm thinking a combo approach of letting hubby know I am going out for a walk/run (without the kids), and some yoga/bodyweight work in private when I get a few minutes to myself. I know I make things more complicated than they have to be, and I appreciate your reminders that it really is simple, thank you.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Is it out of the question to wake up early and do your runs? Or just walk around the neighborhood? I'm sure any strength training can be set aside a few days without too many problems.

If I'm staying with my husband's family (even if I'm staying with my own!) I NEED TO GET OUT and start out my day early with a walk. Love em, but everyone's so different than I am (I know, that makes me the weird one....) I am not at all an outgoing person, so getting some light exercise in every morning boosts my confidence and encourages me to talk with everyone. Almost as much as the margaritas and other adult friendly beverages do at night! And, bonus, the walk lets me imbibe even more...a vicious cycle!

Heck, I don't even take the kids. I just wake up early and go, I need my alone time!
  • maldomaldo
    maldomaldo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    when you walk on the beach walk in the loose sand and really dig your feet in with each step, or walk in the water knee deep to add some resistance
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Instead of just hoping you'll walk, organize the walks! :)

There's a pool - do you swim? You could also play in the water with the kids.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »

How would it benefit? It's been a while, but it allows me to eat more and I've been steadily losing weight!

Taking a break from exercise, especially if it's a routine you've been doing for awhile, gives your body a chance to recover. You have one rest day a week worked into your schedule, but you're working pretty hard the other days (I have a similar training schedule). A few days off with just doing some yoga and walking (as others suggested) would give your body a break, and it's also nice to take a mental break from dieting/training as well. You're not going to undo all your hard work in a few days, and you might find when you get back to your routine next week that you're more focused and have better sessions.

I find taking a deload/recovery week every so often to be helpful. I know there are articles out there that get into the scientific aspects of it, that of course I don't have handy at the moment. I also don't want to see you spend a "relaxing" weekend with your family worrying about how you are going to fit in training or counting calories to fit into your non-exercise calorie goal. Go have fun, try not to go overboard, and get back to it next week. It's what you do the majority of the year that matters, not one weekend.
  • 90days_lex
    90days_lex Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Go for a run? You can find 30 minutes to let everyone know you'll be back in a half hour.
    Or take a break, it's not a huge deal!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Get up and run, find a gym and lift before everyone else gets up.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Purposeful, scheduled exercise is not the only way to boost your activity. You can also boost your "lifestyle" for the time being. Don't lounge by the pool, play in it with the kids. Out of milk? Offer to walk to the store. Be the one getting up to get stuff from the kitchen. Organize walks. If you're near the beach, go walking or swimming there. Help set up for meals and clean up after. Help with meal prep. Socialize while standing sometimes, you don't always need a chair. Stay on your feet a lot.

Also, it's a holiday. Why not eat at maintenance for the weekend? That would get you another 250 cals right there.

And I agree with others. If you want to get your run in, get up early. I'm sure you could fit in a 20-40 minute run easily enough! And yoga is also a great idea, as it's free and can easily be done from a computer/tablet/phone on YouTube, and requires little space. If you don't have a mat, a towel or something will work in a pinch. If you have a bedroom, you should be able to do it privately.

And echoing the fact that this should all be fun. It's a holiday, it's family time, and "moving more" should not have to be a chore. I find often that the more energy I pour into something, the more I get back, as long as I have a good attitude about it. (Ex. if your inner narrative is anxious or grumpy about "having" to move or "doing all the work", you'll exhaust yourself. If you're positive and open, you'll have fun, feel good about your day, and sleep better for all that energy you expended.) So don't let it ruin your weekend if it's cold or something prevents the run or you do a lot of lounging. It's one weekend -- even if you overeat, you'll be fine.

(Swimming is weather permitting, I know! I hope it's warmer than expected for you!)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah just go for a walk or a run by yourself. Honestly I go crazy not doing anything all day anyway, so I always end up going out for a walk at some point.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Walking is so easy, and so good for you, and you can do it for fitness reasons and none of your relatives will be the wiser.

I'd just make it a point to go for a walk every day, for 45-60 minutes. Take the kids. If yours are anything like mine, they'll enjoy it.

My wife, when we're on vacation: she runs by herself. Doesn't care what anyone thinks. And why should she?

Your fitness is important. Don't let perceptions derail you for a weekend.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Bring a frisbee and play with your kids or anyone interested... Or bring a badminton set or volleyball.
    Walk or run.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    My favorite "add a little discreet activity" activity is to go out, and hit a jumbo bucket of golf balls (usually around 175 balls). It usually takes around an hour, and I can burn off a couple hundred calories for my weight/height.
  • jaga13
    Options
    Rogstar wrote: »
    Is it out of the question to wake up early and do your runs? Or just walk around the neighborhood? I'm sure any strength training can be set aside a few days without too many problems.

If I'm staying with my husband's family (even if I'm staying with my own!) I NEED TO GET OUT and start out my day early with a walk. Love em, but everyone's so different than I am (I know, that makes me the weird one....) I am not at all an outgoing person, so getting some light exercise in every morning boosts my confidence and encourages me to talk with everyone. Almost as much as the margaritas and other adult friendly beverages do at night! And, bonus, the walk lets me imbibe even more...a vicious cycle!

Heck, I don't even take the kids. I just wake up early and go, I need my alone time!

My young kids have me up at 5:45, so I probably won't get up earlier! But I like you're line of thinking. It is a lot of time with his family, and I could use, and have every right to do so, some time to myself. So I'll pack my sneakers and make a point to get out for a walk or a run, at the very least to get a little me time since otherwise I won't have any all weekend.

• harieta
    harieta Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What if you take a break for 4 days from your workouts and just enjoy these days? Is this going to have a huge impact on your long term goal?
    I don't think you should try to "discretely" add a workout or feel guilty for not exercising.
    If you are already fairly active, have a good balanced diet, are logging everything accurately and have already seen results, not working out for 4 days should not be the end of the world.