Options
2»

Replies

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    If you are weight lifting, you may want to consider up to 1g per lb of body weight, but really, getting over 100g

That's a myth
    . You likely don't need anywhere near that much.
    segacs wrote: »
    If you are weight lifting, you may want to consider up to 1g per lb of body weight, but really, getting over 100g

That's a myth
    . You likely don't need anywhere near that much.

This is the second best news I heard all day!

There's so much conflicting advice about this!! I'm trying to work it out for myself and have had several different answers over the past few days, including just using a percentage of your total calories, or going as low as 0.6g protein per pound of bodyweight, all the way up to 1.12g per pound. And then it depends on your starting point and goals. 0.6-0.8g per pound seems to be a common consensus (and scientifically backed up) for a person who is overweight and wants to maintain LBM while in a calorie deficit. That would be me. Then as your weight goes down you can reduce the amount of protein accordingly. If you're a person of normal weight wanting to maintain LBM then the formula changes. If you actually know what your LBM is (accurately) then there's a more accurate method of calculation you can use, based on grams of protein per LBM. If you're a bodybuilder (heavy lifting) then the formula changes again. If you're doing a recomp (wanting to actually gain muscle whilst in a calorie deficit) then it changes again. There's a blog on MFP somewhere about how to do that. Aaaaaggghhh!

Right now I'm going with 0.7 per pound of bodyweight, which up until yesterday was waaay more than I had been doing.

Anybody feel free to correct me on that if I've still got it wrong!

[Edit:] p.s. oh yeah, and then there's apparently some wisdom that says not to consume more than 30g of protein at one sitting or your body can't utilize it. Again, this is a major change for me in the past few days, so basically I have to split my protein up into four different meals to get enough to maintain LBM at my current (very high) weight.
  • Luisc82787
    Luisc82787 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Does anyone take a protein shake before bed?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Luisc82787 wrote: »
    Does anyone take a protein shake before bed?

I sometimes do on days when I run - I have a snack before the run and a protein bar/shake after. Don't really have time for a real dinner.

It's purely as a protein boost, though. I've found that the achiness I usually feel the next day is a bit less with the increased protein.

~Lyssa