Running

Options
2»

Replies

• K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm abit concerned cuz I sit just under 250 so this will be a process for sure haha but I would love to try it out. Plus I think it's less about weight and more about endurance cuz someone 150 pounds could be more outta shape then the 250 pound person. At the gym I can do hard cardio with the best of them but from what I remember running outside is much harder. I'm not outta shape I'm just fat hahaha..
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    How did you guys over come the "omg this sucks" faze?

um, for most runners that never completely goes away. It's common for the first 5-10 minutes of a run to just suck. But then it gets better.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I get so pumped to go run. I get my shoes on and get into a pace. And then, a couple seconds later, I'm wanting it to be over. The one thing that gets me through it is music--it's a"ll about the beat". I'm keeping some Black Sabbath and Zeppelin and adding some Nicky Minaj and 2NEI to my playlist.

I'm new to running and my style is evolving. I found that short and quick strides helped strengthen the areas needed for running (hips, lower legs...). I tried different styles like Pose and Chi and like practicing those techniques as I feel they help propel me better than my beginning heel strike stride. I run 2 miles and like to sprint at the end. I would like to run a marathon one day but my goal is to perfect a short sprint.

The one thing everyone agrees on is taking it slow to prevent injuries. And run like "The Critic" Jay Sherman(anyone remember that?)--your trainer could walk beside you at your running pace. Speed will eventually come.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm abit concerned cuz I sit just under 250 so this will be a process for sure haha but I would love to try it out. Plus I think it's less about weight and more about endurance cuz someone 150 pounds could be more outta shape then the 250 pound person. At the gym I can do hard cardio with the best of them but from what I remember running outside is much harder. I'm not outta shape I'm just fat hahaha..

One thing I have learned is that the only way to get better at running is to run!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Why not just walk, until you feel more comfortable? And I do not use "just" to imply walking is less effective, it is usually simpler, regardless of weight, fitness level etc. If you do not enjoy running, are obese and concerned about how this will affect running, and you have this "that sucks" feeling, why not just aim for longer and longer walks? It is cardio, it is effective, it is easier to adjust it to your pace and go for longer distance/time and it will make running easier after a while.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm abit concerned cuz I sit just under 250 so this will be a process for sure haha but I would love to try it out.

When I started I had just turned 53 and was 255 pounds. Yes, it took awhile before I could honestly say I was happy with how I felt. But one day out on a run I noticed I'd turned a really big corner... my energy and breathing and form were all starting to come back and the end of that run was all smiles. I've been smiling ever since and running more than ever.

I'm still 53 but now 65 pounds lighter, and my cardio fitness is vastly improved. Vastly. I'm now a pretty fit still-fat guy, but not still-fat for very much longer.

If you don't have underlying health issues / joint issues, and do have the desire to see if you like it, go for it. You might discover you love it.
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If you do not enjoy running, are obese and concerned about how this will affect running, and you have this "that sucks" feeling, why not just aim for longer and longer walks? It is cardio, it is effective, it is easier to adjust it to your pace and go for longer distance/time and it will make running easier after a while.

Walking is great but is not nearly as effective as running in:
    1. Building up your cardiopulmonary system
    2. Burning calories; if you need/want higher deficits, running will deliver far more bang per unit of time.

Some will have no choice but to walk for various health reasons. Others who have the luxury of choice shouldn't be discouraged from choosing either.
  • bjdavidson964
    bjdavidson964 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    With me absolutely a 'love-hate' relationship with running. I'm new to running (just finished C25k in April and did my first 5k in May). The first mile or so I definitely find myself thinking 'this sucks', but I eventually start to feel better and feel so accomplished when I'm done. Some days will be better than others. I'm still working on form and breathing ... but getting better. I had a piece of cake this past Saturday night and man-o-man did Sunday morning's run ever hurt!! Felt as though I couldn't control my breathing and just felt like sludge. I think at the next graduation party I'll bypass the cake if I know I'll be running the next morning...the smarter choice!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It sucks when I hit the six minute mark and realize it's not time to stop yet. But overall I really enjoy running because my body responds more reliably to my new demands than, say, changes to my diet. I ask it to do more and then I can! That's a huge boost for me. Also, I get to places faster running than I do walking.

Go slow, never forget your stretches, and slowly work up to longer runs.