What do I need to eat in order to become healthy?

I understand the 'no junk food' thing and I know the 'eat more fiber and protein', but what exactly am I supposed to be eating? Is there anyone here who might be able to help me out and give me some lifestyle change tips? I mean, even the non-junk food that I eat doesn't seem all that healthy to me. I usually pay close attention to fiber, protein, and iron percentage because I feel I lack on those most.
I want to lose 30 lbs by October, and I'll be exercising lots and going to the gym. I just need to figure out what exactly I should eat and shouldn't eat. Also, I'm a muncher, so if you know of any healthy snacks I could eat all day that would be great! XD
The diet part of fitness has always been confusing to me because I don't know what constitutes good food worth the calories and bad food not worth it, like things with only 1 gram of protein are deemed bad food to me. It just feels like even once you get past not eating junk food, there are still lots of 'bad' foods that you shouldn't eat >.<
Any help and tips please? Thank you, I appreciate all help! :)

Replies

• lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    The best thing you can do is eat mostly whole fresh foods. Try to limit processed foods. Eat plenty of fresh greens. Try having fruit and nuts for snacks instead of cookies or crackers. Try out new recipes and keep it interesting!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 839 Member
    I recommend watching the video "Forks Over Knives". Not only will it tell you what to eat, it will explain how different foods affect your body. It's a fascinating film - you can check out the website, too (google Forks Over Knives) for a lot of good recipe ideas.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    I agree with the first two responses. It may take a few days to adjust to a whole plant-based diet, but once you do, the temptations of processed sugar and fat diminish and you will start feeling great. It is also very satisfying and you can lose weight without being hungry.

You don't need more protein to be healthy. Most people are consuming excess protein. 8-10% is more than enough for an average person. Eating like this has gotten me down more than 100 pounds and will get me to my goal.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Ask our doctor for a diet plan ( a diabetic or food option list for 1200 or 1500 calories is a good place to start). They know what your problems can be and which diet suits your life style. Avoid fad diets as they may work for a while, but usually are lacking for the long term lifestyle which should be your ultimate goal. A quick tip is to only shop the perimeter of the grocery store and avoid going down the aisles where most canned and processed foods are.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    I found that increasing fresh and organic food intake led to better health and very easy weight loss. I also find dishes like steelhead with quinoa/kale salad, or halibut with spinach, or steak and sweet potato fries, to be appealing. And I really like what I cook, so basically I grab fresh ingredients, cook them, and eat them.

What someone else needs mentally and physically, who knows. If I hated fresh vegetables and couldn't cook, or if I had severe budgetary restrictions, everything might be a lot more difficult.