Post-weekend weight gain

Options
Anyone else fall victim to this? I know it's not all about the number on the scale, and it's likely just water retention... but does anyone have tips for getting through this without getting discouraged, or quick fixes to shed those pesky pounds?

Replies

• holasunshine
    holasunshine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try not to weigh yourself for a good few days, get back into your normal routine and remind yourself that this is only a temporary blip :)
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I don't know of a quick fix. One thing that helped me was to realize that a 1 pound gain is equal to one 16 oz bottle of water. So I don't let a pound get me down. Retaining one bottle of water is not far fetched. If I've had a splurge weekend, I try to drink lots of water Monday, especially if I had alcohol.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I assume I'm missing something, but isn't the answer to eat better during the weekend? I'm not saying it's always easy, but...

I weigh in Mondays and Fridays, in part so I can see what's happening during the week vs the weekend.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My official weigh in day is Thursday. As Thursday night sometime is the start of my weekend, it puts me in positive mood and conscience of my goals. The weekends can be hard and come Monday I'm not always happy with the number on the scale but by Thursday I'm usually on track again.

I think you either learn to accept daily fluctuations or only weigh yourself once a week or less.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating better on the weekend, especially if it keeps happening and seems to be bothering you. Make better choices and see some better results. I need to heed my own advice as well.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I drink like a fish and eat like a pig over the weekend, but I eat better during the week, so the calories even out. Of course the extra intake makes me "gain" a pound or two, but after it all passes through, I'm back to where I need to be. I refuse to give up my fun just to look good. What good does it do to look good if you hate your life?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    quick fixes to shed those pesky pounds?
    WNYEj9G.gif
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing daily? If not, why not change your weigh in day to something midweek to give your body some time to shed the excess water?

Do you log what you eat/drink over the weekend? If not, you really should do so. I find this helps when I see the number go up. Most of the time I went way over on sodium and/or ate more carbs than usual. Bam! weight gain.

If I gained a few pounds and it stuck around for the whole week, I'd maybe be worried.

Are you finding that your weight loss is stalling and you're just bouncing between a couple numbers?

~Lyssa
  • girlalmighty08
    girlalmighty08 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    No my weight loss has been great, slow and steady. Which is why I panic when I'm up a few after a weekend like this (special occasion: long weekend camping). I know it's not realistic for me to NOT have weekends like this where I indulge every once in awhile, but it's also not always worth the stress I feel when I see the numbers creep back up. That's just why I'm looking for some tips on how to flush out the water weight (if that is in fact, what's causing the increase).

And yes I always log my calories; the good, bad, and the ugly!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Anyone else fall victim to this? I know it's not all about the number on the scale, and it's likely just water retention... but does anyone have tips for getting through this without getting discouraged, or quick fixes to shed those pesky pounds?

yeah, don't weigh in on Mondays...
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    No my weight loss has been great, slow and steady. Which is why I panic when I'm up a few after a weekend like this (special occasion: long weekend camping). I know it's not realistic for me to NOT have weekends like this where I indulge every once in awhile, but it's also not always worth the stress I feel when I see the numbers creep back up. That's just why I'm looking for some tips on how to flush out the water weight (if that is in fact, what's causing the increase).

And yes I always log my calories; the good, bad, and the ugly!

Honestly? Patience. Water weight will usually dissipate within a few days.

If you're weighing daily, just see the number as a data point. If you weigh weekly, switch to later in the week.

You can't prevent your body from retaining water on occasion. Your body is gonna fluctuate around 5 pounds or so (YMMV - I seem to have a 3 lb range).

~Lyssa
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh on Mondays. I tend to eat out all weekend...usually within my calorie budget....but high on sodium.
  • ObiWanJacoby_
    ObiWanJacoby_ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You should definitely weight yourself everyday, but look at weekly averages, and then monthly averages. Weight loss is not a linear progression. It's going to be up and down, up and down. But it should be more down than up. That's how you know you're still on the right track.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    I agree with eating better on the weekend, especially if it keeps happening and seems to be bothering you. Make better choices and see some better results. I need to heed my own advice as well.

This.