Calorie Intake question

Options
I have used MyFitnessPal in the past, maybe 2 years ago and it worked very well. I was wanting to lose 10lbs and it worked great. I actually lost the weight faster than the app said I would. Back then it said my calorie intake was to be a little below 1300 calories per day. I'm using the app again, as I'm wanting to drop 10lbs again, because I gained it back, but this time it's saying I should be taking in 1690 calories a day.

So my question is, what has changed? I'm on day 6 of keeping within the calories goals of the app and I have actually gained a pound this week. Now I know the first week is not a good gauge since maybe some food from the week prior is still working through you system. But 400more calories a day? Is there anyone that could explain this? I have it set to my weight and goals and have it listed to be sedentary lifestyle as I do walk every other day, but I'm sitting most of the day.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure how MFP was set up 2 years ago but at this point, it will not give males a goal under 1500. I'm not sure how to account for the rest of the difference.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    what changed about you?

the calories are based on what you enter for data.

But you are a 34 YO man...you can eat more and still lose. I am a 42 YO woman and lose 1/2lb a week eating 1800 a day and just lifting weights...now that I added in cardio I can lose on 2200 a day.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    The National Institutes of Health indicates that eating plans of 1,500 calories for men, and 1,200 calories for women, are safe and effective in achieving weight loss. To align with these guidelines myfitnesspal has implemented a separate calorie minimum for males of 1,500 calories per day. Previously, the minimum was 1,200 calories for both men and women.
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals
  • spears11b4
    spears11b4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awsome, thanks for the replies and the link. I was wondering lol. At first I was thinking I input my info wrong, so I re-entered 3 times. But yeah, I understand now. No wonder I was losing so fast when I first used it a few years ago. I literally lost 10lbs in 6 days eating about 1290 calories a day, but I did feel like crap and tired.