Too much exercise messing with hormones.

Options
I've heard the too much much exercise messes with your hormones. How does one know how much is too much. also are then any warning signs, and which hormones and what is the actual damage done? Just interested in the details. I feel I am pretty good at reading my body signals, but i would like to know just to be safe and out of curiosity. As I have been loosing weight and exercising more I have been able to walk longer and longer distances, faster,, and lift heavier.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It takes a lot to over train.. and when you do over train, you will definitely know it as you will have health issues like unsteady heart rate, immune system issues, insane thirst, moody as hell, pain, serious muscle aches, the list goes on... yadi yad yadi..

Unless you are seriously training for a god number of hours a day, I doubt you are over training... unless you have underlying medical issue... then see a doctor..

• andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    was just a curiosity thing, try to learn something new.

Moody, I get moody if i go to long with out food. I Also drink so much water poeple have asked if I was diabetic. (my doctor says I am fine)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »
    I've heard the too much much exercise messes with your hormones.

Hmmm...never heard that. I know the negative effect that the stimulation you get from exercise can be a from of addiction, but that isn't too common. I very well know the positive effects it has on emotional health through the same chemical balance and releases. I have bouts of depression that I manage strictly with exercise and no meds.

Never researched that one before through so have to look around.

• andympanda
    Options
    Maybe it's just bro-science. That is why I am trying to find out details.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    If you start missing your period, you're probably exercising more than you can recover from, and if you have spotting afterwards, your workouts may be more vigorous than you're ready for.

Oh. That probably doesn't apply to you. NVM.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    It's not bro-science. But it's also not something that the average person has to worry about. It's encountered more in athletes training at elite levels.
  • andympanda
    Options
    Being a guy, not a issue for me.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    well I know that for women obsessive exercize in combination with food restriction can alter or stop your cycle. I don't know what it does to men. I had certain hormonal symptoms that were exacerbated by exercize, but they weren't 'caused' by it.
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of (hormone-wise) is that when you exercise for an extended period of time (especially long-duration cardio without proper fueling) your adrenaline gland starts producing cortisol, which is the "stress" hormone. Cortisol's job is to increase blood sugar through gluconeogenesis, to suppress the immune system, and to aid in the metabolism of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. It also decreases bone formation. It's a part of the "flight or fight" stress reaction.

So yeah, having elevated cortisol levels is a bad thing.

As for knowing when your doing too much? I found that "life will get in the way". When your immune system is suppressed, you tend to get sick, which keeps you away from the gym (and you recover). You lose motivation to hit the gym... (and you rest and you recover).

I keep an eye on my Resting Heart Rate in the morning. When it shoots up by more than 10 points I know that something might be going on that maybe I should pay attention to. I might be overreaching with my training, or just getting sick, or maybe my stress levels are high because of something happening in my personal/professional life.

But in general, I've found my RHR a good indicator and warning flag that "something is going on".
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Which hormones, specifically? Testosterone will be fine. Fat is full of estrogens, so losing that will be good for everyone - men and women. Maybe excessive training can increase corticosteroids - like cortisol mentioned above, but I doubt that regular people get to that point. Are you concerned about other specific ones?
  • andympanda
    Options
    Was just curious. I am not having problems.