Gym membership or not..?

Options
Bandiiit
Bandiiit Posts: 27 Member
I found a women's gym that's offering a special right now for $15 a month for 24 months. The other gyms in my area run $30-$50 a month. I'm thinking about joining since that's a pretty good deal and the people there are really nice. They gave me a free 3-day pass to try it out and the special is available until May 31st. Both my fiance and his mother don't think I should join because summer is coming up and I can "go outside and walk" which I do agree with. Do you think it's better to get the membership now while that offer's available or just wait until winter. I will use it during the summer, especially on days when the weather's not the best.

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    $15/month at a women's gym....I'd sign up in a heartbeat. The women's gym I go to is 40$/ month for the yearly membership and the equipment is old and the gym is small
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You already said you will use it. The price is pretty good. Presumably they have equipment sych as weights, machines and some classes? Walking is ok exercise but its limited. Resistance training helps you retain lean body mass so your % of fat loss remains high. You already saud the people are nice and a 3 day trial should be more than enough o see if you like it. Imo join if it feels right and you cna afford it/will use it.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'd only do it if they have things there that you would use/do that you cannot do on your own. Like olympic barbells.
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't see what the season has to do with it. I assume you will join the gym to do more than walk on a treadmill? Do you use the cardio machines? Lift weights? If so, you would make use of it summer and winter.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Is there a big fee to sign up? Or is it just month-to-month?
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If you'll use it, join! However, gyms seem to always be having specials, so I wouldn't sweat the special "deadline". There'll be another special come along. There are even lots of articles online about haggling with them over the price. They seem worse than used car salesmen! But . . . yeah, if you'll use it, then it's definitely worth $15 a month!!!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If you'll use it. I pay a lot more and its worth every penny to me.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you're gonna go, yes. If you aren't gonna go, no. Only you know that answer.
  • Nyappykim
    Nyappykim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Paying for a gym membership motivates me to go to the gym so my money doesn't go to waste, lol.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I'd say if they have equipment there you'll use then go for it. If you're looking to just walk, mehhh maybe wait till winter then.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Different people have different values and ways of seeing things. If you can afford it, and you'll use it, then go for it, I say!
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Make the decision for you and do what's right for you - not what others think is right for you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I walk out side and go to a gym.. why not do it all.. NO excuses, Just do it!
  • hbarnesccs
    hbarnesccs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I do a healthy mix of both using the gym and utilizing the outdoors. I go to the gym 3 - 4 times a week and use the elliptical, stair master, or bikes, then use free weights and weight machines.

On days I don't go to the gym, I run and walk outside.

And of course, I love having a membership on rainy days! I would go for it.
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The season thing is a silly argument imo. I live in the Deep South and it can get unbearably hot and it rains a lot. Two reasons I love having a gym membership. Would you utilize what the gym has to offer? Can you afford it? If so I say go for it!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, get it. You're all set to go right now, and you want to do this, so do it. You can work out at the gym and go outside and walk.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Do you have a planned structured workout you will employ in the gym? Do you like the idea of working out with others? Do you find going to a gym convenient? Will you get a better challenge and push yourself harder at a gym?