need to know if I should eat.....

Options
so i went above and beyond today with the exercise and now I have 1,500+ calories to eat for lunch and dinner today. I already ate breakfast, is it ok to have such a huge deficit? Even if I managed to eat 1000 calories between the two meals (which i wont) is it unhealthy for me leave those calories untouched?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Running a large deficit a day or two a week probably won't be a problem. But if it becomes a trend you may want to either cut back the exercise or add more food. Too large a deficit for a prolonged period of time can promote muscle loss and screw with your body's hormones.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Running a large deficit a day or two a week probably won't be a problem. But if it becomes a trend you may want to either cut back the exercise or add more food. Too large a deficit for a prolonged period of time can promote muscle loss and screw with your body's hormones.

This...plus also take into consideration the source of the burn report....how do you know you burned that many calories? That is why I try not to have huge cardio days, its hard to predict how many calories you actually burned....typically running a mile is about 100 calories...so if you ran a mini-marathon, you'd burn about 1500 calories.
  • skpresley20
    skpresley20 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I didn't burn 1500, i only burned 600 and I was on the elliptical for an hour. the 600 is plus the other calories I had left over. I usually try to eat less than my allotted 1290 per day that way if I DID exercise that day it wont matter how much i burned and if I possibly logged that I burned too much and I really didn't.

Does that make sense? ^.*
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Left over from when? Yesterday? It's much better for you to just eat the allotted calories every day. Your body needs them, and "banking" 600 calories when you only eat 1200 anyway is not a good plan.

So, yes, eat them.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I say eat. I can eat 1,000 for dinner. Your body likes fuel in order to move better.

Eat More to Move More to Weigh Less.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I didn't burn 1500, i only burned 600 and I was on the elliptical for an hour. the 600 is plus the other calories I had left over. I usually try to eat less than my allotted 1290 per day that way if I DID exercise that day it wont matter how much i burned and if I possibly logged that I burned too much and I really didn't.

Does that make sense? ^.*

Oh that is a different story then....yes, I would eat it all in that case....600 for an hour of elliptical may be a tad high unless you were going at an intense pace the full 60 minutes...but thats not a huge issue. Being only at 1200 to begin with...I would highly recommend you eat the 1200 + 600 as you probably should be taking in more normally anyway.