maintaining my weight 10 months out after a sleeve gastrectomy

Options
cbona2008
cbona2008 Posts: 3 Member
I'm looking to see if there is a nutritionist out there that can help me figure out how many calories I need to consume to maintain my current weight. Having the sleeve gastrectomy I fill up rather easily and I am already twenty pounds less than my goal. I do not want to lose any more. I exercise and strength train 4 days a week. My fitness pal app is saying I need to get in 1900 calories, I just can't do it. I'm really pushing 1600,1700.

Replies

• flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Do you have a regular doctor that can refer you to a nutritionist? If you live in the Seattle area, there is one at Healthpoint Tukwila. That's the one I am going to see. I am glad you are taking good care of your health after this procedure. Many people don't realize the regimen one must follow post surgery. It's more than just eating less and dropping the weight. As I am sure you already know, nutrition is key if you don't want to end up in the hospital, or worse. Good luck (-:
  • cbona2008
    Options
    Yes I do, I am going to see the nutritionist next month. There is a lot that goes into this. People say to me. Oh just eat some cake or cookies, that'll help. That is just going backwards for me. I did this for a reason , to be healthy . Not saying I can't do that once in a while, but my body feels it when I don't eat well....
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised, but even weight lifters eat cookies & cake to reach their calorie goal at times.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I know you're meant to eat your protein first - can you switch to fattier cuts of meat to increase the calorie counts? Protein shakes? There's a great thread somewhere with a list of calorie dense foods but I can't find it right now.
    You'll really need to figure out your own maintenance if the TDEE calculators aren't working for you. Try adding 100 cals a day for a week at a time and see if you slowly start to gain back to where you want to be. Maybe lay off the cardio for a bit too.
    You can probably get better help if you post in the Gaining Weight forum.
  • cbona2008
    Options
    Thanks
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not a nutritionist here, but I had WLS last summer (bypass). I was going to say much what @Tubbs216 is suggesting, adding 100 cals a day, try for a week, until you find your sweet spot. Nothing can make me give up my cardio though. I love it too much.

I have strayed from the conventional advice in that I eat a little bit from my whole plate, not protein first. Protein goes down hard and I just find it easier if there's some vegetables and carbs in there to mix it up. I don't have problems getting enough protein. If you are having trouble getting in enough calories, eat more calorie dense foods, mixing it up say, with crackers, if it makes it easier to get down.

Calorie-dense; cheese, nut butters, edamame seed pods. Maybe try fattier meats.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    If I had to jack up my calorie intake I would eat milkshakes. I can't think of much that is more calorie dense than that.