3-Day Military Diet

Options

Replies

• denniskelly06
    denniskelly06 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Eat fewer calories than you burn. That's my advice. Eating a balanced diet is great for overall health but a caloric deficit is the key to weight losd.

Thank you
  • denniskelly06
    Options
    Thanks for the advice 3bambi3. Thus far, I've been on a pretty strict, low calorie diet I just came up with myself. I eat lots of spinach salads, protein shakes, and fruit and veggies. I also exercise at the gym at least 5 days per week. I'm just used to losing weight extremely fast but its just not happening that way this time. Maybe its my age- I'm 37.
    Well, this is the first time in my 37 years I've had to diet/exercise to lose weight. I've always weighed about 100 pounds at 5'1.

Does not compute.

How do you mean?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice 3bambi3. Thus far, I've been on a pretty strict, low calorie diet I just came up with myself. I eat lots of spinach salads, protein shakes, and fruit and veggies. I also exercise at the gym at least 5 days per week. I'm just used to losing weight extremely fast but its just not happening that way this time. Maybe its my age- I'm 37.
    Well, this is the first time in my 37 years I've had to diet/exercise to lose weight. I've always weighed about 100 pounds at 5'1.

Does not compute.

How do you mean?

You directly contradicted yourself. Either you're used to losing weight fast and this time is different, or you've never had to diet before and have always weighed 100 lbs.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Patience is key here.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I weigh just about what you do and I'm 5 feet tall even. I actually quite like how I look ;)

To each their own, of course! I am trying to lose another 5lbs. I'm a little squishier than I want to be so I wanna see if I can lose a touch more fat.

I'm gonna suggest you start a heavy lifting program, such as Stronglifts 5x5. That will help you preserve muscle, which in turn should mean you look better/slimmer, even at a heavier weight.

A few people like to share this image as reference:

more1.jpg

~Lyssa
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Patience is key here.

She doesn't have any patience because ADD and dad. Or something.
  • denniskelly06
    Options

Does not compute.

How do you mean?

You directly contradicted yourself. Either you're used to losing weight fast and this time is different, or you've never had to diet before and have always weighed 100 lbs.

Sorry, it does sound like I'm contradicting myself. However, the only time I've had to diet/exercise was to lose baby weight with my 2 kids.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Another impatient person looking to fad diets to lose weight quick ... and turning to one of the most inane diet plans out there. A simple rule of thumb is if a diet has to lie about an association with a group to gain an air of legitimacy (military, GM, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, etc) is that the diet is probably not sustainable and a bad idea.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    People here can be very direct--they really are just trying to be helpful. Fad/crash diets aren't healthy and everyone is trying to warn you away from them. What they preach isn't sustainable--no one can eat like that forever. If you don't change your eating habits, once you switch off the "Insert-Diet-Name-Here" the weight will come back.

Check out this site for info on caloric intake for your height and goals: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Weigh all your solid foods, measure all your liquids so you know how much you're taking in. Someone already said it--weight-loss comes from a caloric deficit. Most of us grossly overestimate what we eat. And we underestimate how much we burn. Especially us short girls! :smile:

Also, please consider how harshly you're judging your appearance. Be good to you. :smiley: Would you tell your best friend she looked disgusting in her bathing suit? No? Then why say it to yourself?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APgEJoAYh0Y
    http://bit.ly/1hjdJtq
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPjeelgG9Cg
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

Have you considered the fact that there may be a problem with how you go about losing weight?

Forget fad diets, forget crazy food restriction. Find something sustainable, long term.

Well, this is the first time in my 37 years I've had to diet/exercise to lose weight. I've always weighed about 100 pounds at 5'1. Now, I weight 121 and want to get back down to at least 105. If you have any advice on how to do this, I'm all ears.

I'm 5'1" and I went from 136 to 102. I did it by counting calories (I set mine to 1300) and exercising moderately.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    If you can't get to a gym straight away start with Bodyweight: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Eat at a defecit, a sensible defecit to lose 1-2lbs per week. Weigh and log your food accurately on MFP

Lose too fast and you will rip through your LBM and look worse at a lower weight and find maintenance tougher

You lose scale weight by calorie defecit, you get a taut, tight body by calorie defecit and resistance work ....
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You're 37 years old?? Oh my God! How are you still walking around???? Please, tell us what it was like when dinosaurs roamed the earth. ;)

Sorry....I just crack up every time I someone uses their age as a possible reason for slow weight loss....and they're in their 30s.

I didn't start being serious about weight loss til I was in my 40s. I just turned 50 and I'm still losing. I know people who made it to goal in their 60s and 70s.

You don't need some silly fad diet to lose weight. Just eat at a deficit and have patience. Lots of patience.

Wow! I just joined this community so take it easy on me. I actually don't have much patience as I'm ADD and also just take after my dad. I'm also sorta in a hurry to lose weight as our neighborhood pool is about to open and I'd like to take my kids without looking disgusting in a swimsuit. I appreciate your response and if you have any better tips on how I can lose weight fast, I'd love to hear from you.

I think I gave you some good tips: Eat at a deficit and have patience. I understand that the latter is hard for you, but that doesn't mean it's not good advice. Patience is necessary.

As is having a sense of humor. You asked me to take it easy on you, but where was I hard on you? I gently teased you (hence the "wink" that I used) about the fact that you were intimating that your age was a factor. You're still young, IMO.

I sincerely wish you good luck in your efforts.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are 'used' to losing weight fast kind of implies that the weight loss hasn't been sustainable and hence you have had to do it repetitively. Which is why, doing it slowly is the key. It sticks.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Lift heavy: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    If you can't get to a gym straight away start with Bodyweight: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Eat at a defecit, a sensible defecit to lose 1-2lbs per week. Weigh and log your food accurately on MFP

Lose too fast and you will rip through your LBM and look worse at a lower weight and find maintenance tougher

You lose scale weight by calorie defecit, you get a taut, tight body by calorie defecit and resistance work ....

Bolding the above. At your ht/wt, I believe the last thing you want to do is lose weight fast. You'll just be a smaller version of yourself with basically the same BF%.

Investigate a body recomp.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    There are no shortcuts here. It's science and math. You can't shortcut these things. Doesn't matter if you have ADD or not. This is one of those times where no wormhole or black hole or time machine is going to save you from having to do the real, patient, consistent work.

You must create a calorie deficit every week. 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat, so about 500 calories per day you need to cut. You can create that deficit however you like; by eating fewer calories than you burn, by adding exercise to increase the calories you burn, or both.

However, as said above (and bolded), if you don't also incorporate strength training, you will lose not only fat, but muscle.

A 3500 calorie deficit will create consistent weight loss for you over time. About a pound per week. Which means if you want to lose 21 pounds, you need 21 weeks. There's no shortcut. Pool or no pool, you can't shortcut this.

If you try and create a larger deficit, you're just going to be hungry, and that's going to lead to binge eating and sabotaging yourself. You're also going to strip more muscle off your bones as well.

There's a healthy way to lose weight. It requires consistency and patience. If you do it the right way, the weight will come off and you'll be healthy and fit when you reach your goals.
  • Harold76
    Harold76 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You're 37 years old?? Oh my God! How are you still walking around???? Please, tell us what it was like when dinosaurs roamed the earth. ;)

Get off my lawn! Damn kids

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    This is like the 5th post in 2 days about this diet. :|

I feel like the end of the school year has ushered in the summer of crash diets.
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    [/quote] if you have any better tips on how I can lose weight fast, I'd love to hear from you. [/quote]

You most likely aren't going to find advice or tips on how to lose weight fast on MFP. Most people on here know that this is a way of life, not a quick fix to get into a bikini. You've been given great advice by multiple people on this thread, I personally would follow that advice, but that's just me.

Also, I wouldn't worry about looking "disgusting" in a bikini. People of all shapes and sizes wear bikinis without feeling that they look that way. The key is to love yourself enough to know that you do not look "disgusting". It's also the key to not caring about what other people think of how you look.

• phamtq
    phamtq Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Here's what I tell people who wonder if these fad diets work: If the diet has you losing more weight than cancer and in a short time span, then it either doesn't work or it's unhealthy. A disease that ravages your body is less effective then a new diet? Don't think so.

Here's a relevant video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hhzdcRaB3I
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Dear OP:
    1. Have realistic expectations. You have two kids. You are not going to look the same as you did when you were 105 lbs before you had two kids. You can do every fad diet in the book and are not going to look the same as before by focusing on dropping weight quickly.

2. Don't take things for granted. You said you've always lost weight easily, but came back and said that was when you were losing baby weight. That's hardly the same as embarking on a program to drop 15 lbs and show off your fab bod at the neighborhood pool.

3. Speaking of showing off... neighborhood pools? If you live in a typical suburban neighborhood, then you at 120 lbs would probably be the envy of 80% of the mom's there...

4. Military diet? If your kids are like mine, you are doing everything in your power to try to eat them the importance of a balanced diet with fruits, vegetables, protein, dairy, etc... my kids would eat hot dogs and saltines every day if I let them, and I don't have a problem with either of those things, but I'm certainly not going to choose that for my diet that I'm modeling to them...

5. Read this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/