So much sugar in watermelon

Options

Replies

• CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Unless you have issues with high blood sugar, I wouldn't worry about it at all. I also wonder how you know if the wedges you eat are the same size as the ones on the lists.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Lol, maybe i'm just not going to count fruit calories anymore. I'll do a test run, because this whole calorie tracking thing has me eating less fruit than i used to eat before i started using MFP. Decisions decisions...

I replaced my "sugar" tracker with Vitamin C in my diary. I shoot for at least 100% of RDA of Vitamin C from food sources every day, and this often forces me to make room for fruit.
  • LadyElby
    LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Watermelons are full of water. The sugar is natural, don't worry about it. You only get one season to enjoy the really good ones, so why pick apart eating something that's soooo good?

This.

I'm no expert, and won't claim to be one. But I, too, could eat half a watermelon in one sitting. Sure it has a lot of *natural* sugars, but it's also loaded with water and other great nutrients. I think those things help to naturally balance out the sugar content. I say, if you've kept your melon addiction this long and don't feel like it's adding on any extra weight, keep enjoying. If you start to notice a little extra weight, try eating one or two less wedges at a time.

Personally, though, I wouldn't sweat it. There are much worse things you could be indulging in.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    as others have said, natural fruit sugars are not the same as the processed stuff, and watermelon is a very nutrient rich fruit. It has lycopene, potassium & a bunch of other good stuff in it.

eat away!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Yes, I count them because calories still add up no matter what it is. But your original post was worrying about the sugar in watermelon, and when you compare watermelon to a candy bar there's a big difference in the type of sugar we're talking about. Fruits have natural sugars, which are a lot better for you than processed. I really wouldn't worry about my whole lifestyle being thrown off from eating a few wedges of watermelon, though! It's good for you!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    So much more than "too much sugar"

Surprising Health Benefits of Watermelon

Some foods are fun to eat, and watermelon is definitely one of them. That triangular wedge of bright red/white/green, sweet juiciness forbids us to take life too seriously and shouts, "SUMMER!!!" As if that weren't enough, watermelon is packed full of nutrition, hydrates and is low-fat. While many of us think of watermelon as a great snack option, when you tally up its nutritive value, you might consider making this all-star a feature player in your cuisine.

Watermelons are an excellent source of several vitamins: vitamin A, which helps maintain eye health and is an antioxidant; vitamin C, which helps strengthen immunity, heal wounds, prevent cell damage, promote healthy teeth and gums; and vitamin B6, which helps brain function and helps convert protein to energy.
    Tomatoes have been highly touted as a great source for lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that helps fight heart disease and several types of cancer — prostate cancer in particular. Watermelon, however, has the highest concentrations of lycopene of any fresh fruit or vegetable.
    If your little ones don't dig into their swiss chard, lima beans or spinach — all great sources of potassium — consider offering them a serving of watermelon instead. It is a great source of potassium, which helps muscle and nerve function, helps maintain the body's proper electrolyte and acid-base balance, and helps lower the risk of high blood pressure.
    Watermelon also contains the amino acids citrulline and arginine, which can help maintain arteries, blood flow and overall cardiovascular function.

Alone or in a fruit salad are the most common ways many of us eat watermelon. While eating the meat of the fruit is the best way to take advantage of all of its nutrients, this is one of my favorite bits of summer refreshment. I get a version of this from my local burrito truck. The key to making this great: don't oversweeten it. With just a touch of sweetness, it's heavenly.

Watermelon Agua Fresca (Fresh Water)

- 3 cups cubed, seeded watermelon
    - 1 1/2 cups water
    - juice from 2-3 limes
    - natural sweetener, to taste
    In a blender, puree the watermelon, then strain it through a fine sieve. In a pitcher, mix the strained juice with water. Add lime juice and natural sweetener to taste. Serve cold over ice.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Excess fructose can cause inflammation which will make it hard to cut when you are doing a cut cycle. So keep that in mind.

That being said... you can still eat your delicious sugary treat (which is a million times better than the simple sugar products you could eat) but it's a matter of when you eat it.

Here is a very informational article that may be of service for you:

http://thenaturalnutritionist.com.au/nutrient-timing-for-athletes-how-the-right-types-of-sugar-can-help-you/

I found it incredibly helpful and hopefully you will too!

Have a great day and best of luck in your fitness endeavours! ^__^
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Lol, maybe i'm just not going to count fruit calories anymore. I'll do a test run, because this whole calorie tracking thing has me eating less fruit than i used to eat before i started using MFP. Decisions decisions...

Count the calories of fruit, not the sugar.

Eating a bag of sugary candy is not the equivilent of eating a bowl of watermelon. People concentrate on the wrong things.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    mmmm frozen watermelon slushies or throw it ina blender and pour into icecube traysand freeze for a quick treat ( you can baggy them after frozen0
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of watermelon in the last couple of weeks and I also eat three to four servings of fruit a day. It doesn't seem to be holding me back from my fitness goals. As long as you're not eating a ton of junk food type sweets, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The data I found for watermelon is (per ounce - 9 calories, 2 carbs and 0.1 fiber).
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who got fat from eating too much watermelon.
    This! I would cut back if you are having trouble meeting goals and you want to test it, but other than Watermelon is amazing.
  • Jalyst79
    Jalyst79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was advised to eat fruit in the morning so that the body can break down all the sugars throughout the day. Hopefully that is helpful :)
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    Watermelon is one of the best foods you could ever eat. It fills you up and is low in calories compared to most
    foods. I read you could eat a whole watemelon a day and not gain weight because of course all of the water
    passes right through you. I love to eat about a quarter of a watermelon and than spin, so much energy and
    you sweat it all out.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I have decided that fruit in moderation like anything else is ok for you. When i see that i have gone over in sugar and its mostly from fruit i dont worry about it. Its the ADDED sugar that you need to worry about. The health benefits from fruit far outweigh the worry of the sugar/carbs
  • tlouiseh
    tlouiseh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of watermelon and find the amount I get for the calories is pretty good. I cut mine into cube and weigh it though because I don't know if MFP and I consider a wedge to be the same size. Plus it's way less messy that way.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit in season=over in MFP sugars. (for me anyway).

I've decided, within reason, I don't care. I am not restricting my intake of watermelon, strawberries, peaches, etc. in summer. The health benefits are awesome and the flavor is AMAZING.
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Fruits Very High in Sugar...

Tangerines

Cherries

Grapes

Pomegranates

Mangos

Figs

Bananas

the sugar you find in soda is added, but the sugar you find in grapes or any other kinds of fruit or vegetables are natural. there is a BIG difference between the two; natural sugars = good, refined/added sugars = bad.

THIS^^^^^^
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    the sugar you find in soda is added, but the sugar you find in grapes or any other kinds of fruit or vegetables are natural. there is a BIG difference between the two; natural sugars = good, refined/added sugars = bad.

This!!
  • DDCNY
    DDCNY Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi Rob - Google "low GI fruits"

While watermelon is high in natural sugars it is one of the best fruits for you. Cantaloupe, too. Combined with apples (skin on) and apricots you have some super foods that are low on the glycemic index. This means they won't spike your blood sugar.

It depends on what kind of body type and blood type you have. For me? I can't eat bananas or pears very often. But I'll have watermelon daily once I crack it open.

MFP is sooo awesome except for the sugar tracking. It cannot tell the difference between natural sugars in natural foods and added sugars in processed foods. If you like watermelon and eating it keeps you from eating other things - by all means dig in!