I'm In A Salad Rut, What Do You Put In Yours?

Options
Usually my lunchtime salad consists of dark green leafy greens, an ounce of nuts, four ounces of brown rice and half a chopped avocado or a tablespoon of olive oil. Sometimes I add Cholula for extra zip. It tastes great but I would like some ideas to change it up so I can vary my diet. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    My favourite at the moment is dry roasting a whole tray of pumpkin (in cubes) and throwing that in with a heap of spinach, some red onion, tomato, cucumber, and a bit of Danish feta, you don't even need dressing. Some pine nuts goes really well in there too.
  • amberjo1986
    amberjo1986 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That sounds so good, I never would have come up with that combo!
  • Kirstincarnage
    Kirstincarnage Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Raisins, feta, sunflower kernels, cucumber, garbanzo beans, red onion, spinach, green leaf lettuce, and oil/vinegar. SO good.
  • amberjo1986
    Options
    I down for all of that but the raisins, sounds amazing.
  • mummibear
    mummibear Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow, these ideas sound lovely, so much better than the boring stuff I make. Maybe I can stop hating salads!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I like spinach with roasted butternut squash, goat cheese and dried cranberries with a sweet onion vinaigrette.

Or greens topped with a mixture of chickpeas, sliced tomatoes and mashed avocado topped with feta and a Greek yogurt dressing.j

Greens with black beans and corn topped with salsa.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have baby leaf salad (pre-packed stuff), spinach, tomato, mushroom, capsicum, kalamata olives and cucumber. That's my basic lunchtime salad. Depending on what I have on hand I add a can of flavoured tuna (no need for dressing) or, cold meat and dress it with a vinaigrette or a mix of lemon juice and peri peri sauce. Sometimes I add feta cheese, sometimes I add nuts.
  • amberjo1986
    Options
    So far, crumbly/soft white cheeses are a common theme. Interesting. They all sound like great wrap ideas too.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I love roast/grilled vegies like zucchini, capsicum, mushrooms, Brussel sprouts, onion, broccoli, cauliflower, pumpkin and beetroot with rocket, pinenuts and balsamic. A bit of basil pesto is nice too. It works well with Quinoa if you want more carbs and you can add a protein if you like
  • amberjo1986
    Options
    Yes! Different veggie mixins, awesome!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I had a great vaguely BLT-inspired salad today: spinach, tomatoes, avocado, pan-grilled chicken breast, yogurt ranch, and chopped turkey bacon. It was a crazy amount of food, ridiculously delicious, and less than 300 kcals. It's in my diary under lunch if you want to look at amounts; the chicken was cubed and pan-grilled with just a touch of salt and garlic powder. Outstanding.
  • amberjo1986
    Options
    Will do, thanks!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I love roast/grilled vegies like zucchini, capsicum, mushrooms, Brussel sprouts, onion, broccoli, cauliflower, pumpkin and beetroot with rocket, pinenuts and balsamic. A bit of basil pesto is nice too. It works well with Quinoa if you want more carbs and you can add a protein if you like

Yes, I love doing this too. Some brown rice or cous cous, with a whole heap of different roast veggies. Good as a side dish to my protein. Roasted garlic (a must), onion, peppers, pumpkin, sweet potato, zucchini are my go-to veg for this. Just toss it all in one tray in the oven with a splash of EVOO and you're done!

Also, it's worth remembering that spice pastes (like tandoori for example) when stirred in to greek yoghurt makes a great salad dressing.
  • glitterandmagic
    glitterandmagic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    romain lettuce and spinach, with onions, tomatoes, celery, avocado, mushrooms and rice vinegar
  • bluepenguin1
    bluepenguin1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    romain lettuce, tofu marinated in seasame, tomato, red onion, corn, sunflower seeds, walnuts and a lemon tahini dressing is my current favourite
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Mixed beans, dried peas, lentils etc (pretty much whatever I can find) boiled together until tender. Add chopped tomato, onion, mint, sometimes avocado, lots of lemon juice and a bit of olive oil, and this is a salad that is a full and very filling meal.
  • nmtk
    nmtk Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Baby arugula - pomegranate seeds- smoked turkey ( thinly striped slices) and EVOO with freshly crushed black pepper.
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    i eat salad almost everyday. some fav variations:
    -chicken
    -greens
    -avocado,cherry tomatoes
    -peppers,cucumbers, pecans/dried cranberries
    -light goat cheese
    -pickled beets ***freakin delicious
    -balsamic vinaigrette
    **kinda choosy how much of what as it can add up quick for calories!

-chicken
    -greens
    -manadrin oranges (canned)
    -red onion
    -pecans
    -roasted butternut squash mm
    -goat cheese
    -pickled beets
    -nectarine slices
    -some kind of vinaigrette

-lean ground beef or black beans
    -romaine
    -tomato
    -onion
    -avocado
    -canned corn
    -cheese
    -salsa as dressing!

• reedleanda
    reedleanda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A ton of baby spinach
    Baby portabellas
    Yellow or white onion(I love onions lol)
    A oz of all natural turkey(no additives or preservatives)
    Grape tomatoes
    Himalayan pink salt(trader joes)
    A dash of black cracked pepper
    A dash of saizon salad seasoning
    2tbsp of Marzettis Italian Vinegarette
    Cucumber slices
    Pepperocinis on the side(I love these)

Some days more veggies,just depends on how I'm feeling. I've been eating salad daily since I joined My Fitness and it is sooo good. I use the correct serving sizes and this is still a very hearty salad and between 250-400 calories.Depending on how hungry I am. Yummy!
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My favorite is pre-bagged salad with bacon bits, raisins, and cottage cheese. The cottage cheese stretches the dressing out, so I don't need too much. I always get "lite" salad dressings (not fat free, just lower calorie).

Sometimes I throw a can of tuna on there, or the leftover pickings from a rotisserie chicken.

Sometimes I also add different bagged salads, like broccoli slaw or chopped cabbage.

Goldfish crackers are fun instead of croutons.