Cleaner Eating and Calorie Counting

13»

Replies

• NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    I don't think eating clean is necessary to lose weight but clean recipes are useful if you one of those people who is trying to reduce (not necessarily eliminate) the amount of added sugar or packaged food you're eating or if you need to change your eating for health reasons/direction from your doctor. In terms, of losing weight it is CICO.

You definitely don't need to spend money if you want to explore clean eating. This site, for example, has many yummy recipes no charge.

http://www.toscareno.com/recipe/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I never understand the "clean" recipe thing. How are they different from regular recipes?

For example, those found in the Italian cooking book I mentioned upthread or a nice simple learning to cook book like Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything (or his excellent Fish). Or a classic like Greene on Greens or Barbara Kafka's Roasting or Vegetable Love. Or maybe 660 Curries which is a fun book if you want to try to learn to cook Indian food yourself, like I did, and lack family background or experience in the area beyond eating out.

I have an insane number of cookbooks and love general recipes sites like 101cookbooks (someone else with my problem), and few of the savory recipes involve much added sugar, if any, and if one has an issue with salt you can leave that out, I suppose (although it pains me).

The idea of "clean" recipes and eating plans just seems like a scam unless we aren't just talking about normal cooking (as it seems we are).
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    katem999 wrote: »
    I'm pretty new to mfp but I read this all the time: "clean eating". What does this mean? It sounds like eating like a normal person? If so, why are people packaging it like an "approach", as a new sort of restrictive diet?

Money. Books and sponsored blogs etc. promoting it, people buying into the latest jargon cos it's fashionable, plus a bit of good old fashioned pseudoscience.

It's pretty simple to have a well rounded healthy diet. But that doesn't sell books or bait clicks or whatever. So the idea of 'clean' eating has been packaged and sold and people are buying (into) it.

This. "clean eating' is a term that irritates me to no end!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I never understand the "clean" recipe thing. How are they different from regular recipes?

For example, those found in the Italian cooking book I mentioned upthread or a nice simple learning to cook book like Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything (or his excellent Fish). Or a classic like Greene on Greens or Barbara Kafka's Roasting or Vegetable Love. Or maybe 660 Curries which is a fun book if you want to try to learn to cook Indian food yourself, like I did, and lack family background or experience in the area beyond eating out.

I have an insane number of cookbooks and love general recipes sites like 101cookbooks (someone else with my problem), and few of the savory recipes involve much added sugar, if any, and if one has an issue with salt you can leave that out, I suppose (although it pains me).

The idea of "clean" recipes and eating plans just seems like a scam unless we aren't just talking about normal cooking (as it seems we are).

This. In fact, the only cookbook I've seen that MAYBE could be considered as not having "clean" recipes is Sandra Lee's Semi Homemade. She uses a lot of convenience items to help get things started, then finishes them off herself. I personally like the concept, because as much as I love to cook elaborate meals from scratch, I don't have as much time as I would like to devote to that with work and two little kids. I didn't buy the cookbook, because I really can't stand watching her TV show, she seems so fake... and seriously, don't get me started on her "tablescapes". Maybe if she spent less time redecorating her fake kitchen set for every themed meal she's making, she could make "Fully Homemade" meals...

Rant over. Sorry for the tangent.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This. In fact, the only cookbook I've seen that MAYBE could be considered as not having "clean" recipes is Sandra Lee's Semi Homemade.

I don't know if she has a cookbook or only online recipes, but Hungry Girl would be another.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    My first crockpot cookbook from the 80s was full of ingredients like canned soup and dried soup packages, but none of my subsequent cookbooks have been like this. The Joy of Cooking has a few "quick" variations that use canned soup, but have the whole roux option as well.

I'll put this in sour cream for the Super Bowl, but that's it.

Lipton Onion Soup Mix

Ingredients:
    ONIONS*, SALT, CORNSTARCH, ONION POWDER, SUGAR, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT (BARLEY), CARAMEL COLOR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, CORN SYRUP*, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, SULFUR DIOXIDE (USED TO PROTECT QUALITY). *DEHYDRATED