For oldtimers - an MFP question

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
Lots of maintainers have been here a long time. Has the site slowed substantially since it was sold to UnderArmour and they did the last update? I feel like it hangs when I want to select a food and takes a long time load with all the animated ads.

I've taken to doing all my logging on my phone. Although you can now see the forums there! (hidden)

Replies

• Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think we get spoiled by digital connections being so fast that when something takes more than an instant to load we think consider it slow.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed it slowing down and I've been on here since about 2012 at least. I agree with ncservant - we're pretty spoiled. An ad blocker will help on the computer site, too, since it won't have to load the ads. Can't complain about those too much since they have to pay their bills and nobody wants to pay to use the site.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    NCServant wrote: »
    Honestly I think we get spoiled by digital connections being so fast that when something takes more than an instant to load we think consider it slow.

That might be true but there are more ads since the UA takeover than there used to be.
    I've been on MFP for over 3 years.
    So between the extra ads, including IN my *kitten* newsfeed, and the completely different forums, yeah it's a bit slower now.

Ad block only gets rid of the sidebar ads, not the newsfeed ones for me. And the ads in my newsfeed on the app, are even worse.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have also noticed a difference when adding foods. Been using the phone app more and more.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't see any ads on websites because I'm using Mozilla Firefox with adblocker.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    We have fast wifi at home and everything else loads fine. This is the slowest site in the whole universe. :/
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I use the website and the app for my Windows phone. The website hangs and hangs and sometimes errors out. It has gotten 10 times worse since all the upgrades and premium stuff.

I actually changed from interet explorer browser to mozilla.. I think there is or was a memory leak with the internet explorer browser as it hogged my computer memory (waiting on the next internet explorer upgrade). I still have loads of ad and ad video using mozilla (still sucks but better)...
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Yep, sure seems that way to me. Not going to complain though for something that's free and has helped me a great deal.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I use the website and the app for my Windows phone. The website hangs and hangs and sometimes errors out. It has gotten 10 times worse since all the upgrades and premium stuff.

I actually changed from interet explorer browser to mozilla.. I think there is or was a memory leak with the internet explorer browser as it hogged my computer memory (waiting on the next internet explorer upgrade). I still have loads of ad and ad video using mozilla (still sucks but better)...

You need to also install "adblocker plus". Go to the tools tab, click on add-ons and search for adblocker.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I've only had a handful of problems when adding food -- on Monday evening I couldn't get anything to load on the website, and did it all my phone. Overall, though, I haven't had any trouble.

I can't speak much as to how it compares. For most of my active time on MFP (since late 2012), I used my tethered phone for Internet. Literally EVERYTHING was slow.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Eh, I might be a little slower, but I don't feel like I'm back on my 14.4 dial-up.