Which would you rather do?

Options
No one can balance calories in and calories out exactly, even in a lab. So which would you rather do? Would you rather eat more than you burn and have to cut calories occasionally? Or would you rather eat less than you burn and have to eat more to gain weight?

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Maybe because I've never been in that position but the idea of needing to gain and therefore being able to indulge in some of those high calorie foods sounds pretty appealing. I don't think that will ever be me, and it may be insensitive to those who struggle with it....but....French fries and milkshakes....yum!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I like to eat significantly less during the work week and eat significantly more (about twice as much) on the weekends.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I like to eat significantly less during the work week and eat significantly more (about twice as much) on the weekends.

This is pretty much what I've been doing too, to a lesser extent, and it's worked well for 2+ years of maintenance. I am starting something new this week though and aiming for specific macros amounts, so my calories will be more even throughout the week/weekend. Still don't know how it's going to work out on the weekends but I'm going to give it a try at least :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    That's kind of what I'm thinking. I haven't reached that point yet, but I was telling myself that if I saw the scale over my goal weight by so much for a couple of weeks that I would start cutting calories again. But then I thought, that's silly. Since I'll be at a point where losing weight would be less harmful than gaining weight, I might as well plan my meals and exercise in such a way that I'm 50 to 100 calories below what I calculate that I'm burning. Worst case, I'll lose a pound a month and have to figure out how to gain it back. But most likely, I'll have a special occasion or a holiday that pushes my calorie count up and the weight gain will already be accounted for.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I rather eat less and have the 'problem' of trying to gain weight :smile:
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I rather eat less and have the 'problem' of trying to gain weight :smile:

Yep.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options

The story of my life! I have no problem with the restriction and feeling hungry at bedtime Mon - Fri, because I know it's pizza and whiskey come Saturday :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No one can balance calories in and calories out exactly, even in a lab. So which would you rather do? Would you rather eat more than you burn and have to cut calories occasionally? Or would you rather eat less than you burn and have to eat more to gain weight?

Neither. It's the average over time that matters.

ETA: I guess "Both" would be just as valid an answer as "Neither"
  • fleurk126
    fleurk126 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    shamcd wrote: »

The story of my life! I have no problem with the restriction and feeling hungry at bedtime Mon - Fri, because I know it's pizza and whiskey come Saturday :)

So happy to read that other people do this too :) I know it's not generally considered healthy, but I can't eat all I want all the time, or I'd be enormous, so I allow myself weekends off >:) and make up for it during the week o:)
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

Unfortunately, my historical average over time has been an increase in weight. This time, I would like to adopt an approach that results in my weight staying fairly constant by adjusting my calories in/out when my weight gets outside of a given range.
  • sullus
    Options

Unfortunately, my historical average over time has been an increase in weight. This time, I would like to adopt an approach that results in my weight staying fairly constant by adjusting my calories in/out when my weight gets outside of a given range.

That's why I edited to say Both is valid too. You're just manipulating the average. Sometimes up, sometimes down.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

maybe you should tighten up your logging and get a food scale and you would have your numbers pegged more accurately.

Over the winter I bulked and gained about ten pounds, and have been cutting for three months and am down about eight to nine pounds. Once I have my TDEE pegged I have no issues, gaining, maintaining, or losing...

• TimothyFish
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

maybe you should tighten up your logging and get a food scale and you would have your numbers pegged more accurately.

Over the winter I bulked and gained about ten pounds, and have been cutting for three months and am down about eight to nine pounds. Once I have my TDEE pegged I have no issues, gaining, maintaining, or losing...

Why make it hard on myself? Even if I could measure my food calories exactly, there's no way I can measure my exercise calories exactly. The wind blowing a few miles an hour faster on one day versus another or blowing down the hill instead of up the hill, even the length of time I ride with my hands on the hoods instead of the drops can result in several calories difference. So, it makes more sense to adopt a plan that anticipates that the calorie balance won't be exact. And once I do that, close enough is good enough.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I would prefer the latter much more, as there's nothing better in this world than a good cheat meal! In fact, I had this happen just the other day, when I realized I dropped below my range I wanted to be in and needed to gain .4 pounds. Pure Reese's it was. An hour passed and I felt absolutely horrible as the sugar levels caught up with me, but the next day I felt incredible and bustling with energy! There was probably a healthier way to go about adding those extra calories, but I wanted that Reese's darn it, so half a pound cup it was! #yolo
    I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've maintained for over 2 years without logging...I eat healthfully, I eat food in appropriate portions, I allow myself a little leeway on occasion, I exercise regularly. I just live a pretty healthful life and pretty much maintaining a healthy weight is a bi-product of that.

I also weigh myself regularly so if I see that as a trend I'm going up a little, I take a look at what I'm doing and usually all I have to do is cut out some little snack that has somehow inserted itself into my days or I will notice that maybe it's nice out and I've been drinking a few more beers than normal or maybe been doing a little less exercise or something. It's pretty easy to pin point deficiencies and make minor adjustments if you're paying attention.
  • sullus
    Options

Why make it hard on myself? Even if I could measure my food calories exactly, there's no way I can measure my exercise calories exactly. The wind blowing a few miles an hour faster on one day versus another or blowing down the hill instead of up the hill, even the length of time I ride with my hands on the hoods instead of the drops can result in several calories difference. So, it makes more sense to adopt a plan that anticipates that the calorie balance won't be exact. And once I do that, close enough is good enough.

Close enough is indeed good enough. It might help to consider your weight to be a range instead of a number, and just keep your CICO within a set of tolerances rather that at a specific point. Lots of people on this site see loss, gain, or maintenance as a rigid set of exact numbers, but its really not. It's all about not letting the normal ebb and flow of all that become statistically significant.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I am not the one that is starting a thread complaining about putting on too much weight over the long run ...

Just pointing out that your existing method is flawed, as you are not getting the results you want.
  • sullus
    edited May 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »

Close enough is indeed good enough. It might help to consider your weight to be a range instead of a number, and just keep your CICO within a set of tolerances rather that at a specific point. Lots of people on this site see loss, gain, or maintenance as a rigid set of exact numbers, but its really not. It's all about not letting the normal ebb and flow of all that become statistically significant.

People wouldn't think of it as a rigid number if it wasn't portrayed that way. One of the posts above you literally uses the phrase "once I have my TDEE pegged" implying yet again it's a rigid number.

OP Said that. I'm refuting it.

ETA: OOPS .. not OP. Another poster.

ETA: Reading comprehension fail. I read "one of the posts above you literally uses .... " as "In one of the posts above, you literally use .. " ...