5:2 and reactive hypoglycemia

Options
I've been thinking about trying the 5:2 diet, however, I have reactive hypoglycemia, which basically means my blood sugar tanks about 3 hours after eating if I don't eat just so. I get the shakes, massive headaches, lightheaded and pretty snippy if my blood sugar drops. Is there a way to manage the fasting days without getting low blood sugar and without having to take a glucose product or is it just a bad idea?
Thanks!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but passing out or having a siezure from hypoglycemia (it runs in my family) is nothing to laugh about. It is scary and seeing someone do this and having care takers around to help you out during this possible medical risk alone makes me say no to your idea of fasting...
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    if you have hypoglycemia like that, you should be under the care of a physician and/or endocrinologist. ask them. my guess is that you are NOT a candidate for a fasting program like that.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Why would you choose a lifestyle that is not compatible with your health issues?
  • faegirl22
    faegirl22 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I haven't chosen it yet, I'm looking at options is all. I can't call my Dr as he tells me I need to come in, which costs me $126 per visit (Yes, I'm in the process of trying to find a new dr but most are the same with my insurance). I'm just trying to see if it would be possible. I have a friend with type II diabetes who was able to do the 5:2 well but I wasn't sure if it'd work for me is all.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    faegirl22, for whatever it's worth...all diabetics are different, at least from my experience. What works for your Type 2 friend could be seriously damaging to you, especially from the effects you've written in regards to your hypoglycemia.

If you want to be super in-control, weigh *everything* and do the whole portion-control thing. If you have a community health center, you might see if they have a nutritionist on staff. Here in Florida, our community health places work on a sliding scale and are much more affordable.

Ideally, as you know, it's a matter of not letting your blood glucose drop too low...so eating the whole of "smaller meals, throughout the day" would probably be best. Mind you, I also have hypoglycemia and am having to do the un-fun dance myself. My friends are learning that I wait for *no one* before I order food/eat. ;) Be good to you!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from hypoglycemia. Fasting can be effective for some diabetics under medical supervision as it can combat insulin resistance. That is not the same health issue you have. I think it would be downright dangerous for you to fast. The low cal days wouldn't give you enough to keep your blood sugar up--even trying it, you'd be a slave to food all day as the food ratios would need to be planned out perfectly and the meals would have to be timed when consuming that few calories. Not a good way to live, in my opinion.

An ER visit because you passed out (or worse) will cost you a heck of a lot more than $126.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    The 5:2 diet is for people with HIGH blood sugar problems--diabetics, pre-diabetics, etc. I would not recommend it for anyone who has LOW blood sugar problems.
  • faegirl22
    Options
    LyssaJ1 wrote: »
    faegirl22, for whatever it's worth...all diabetics are different, at least from my experience. What works for your Type 2 friend could be seriously damaging to you, especially from the effects you've written in regards to your hypoglycemia.

If you want to be super in-control, weigh *everything* and do the whole portion-control thing. If you have a community health center, you might see if they have a nutritionist on staff. Here in Florida, our community health places work on a sliding scale and are much more affordable.

Ideally, as you know, it's a matter of not letting your blood glucose drop too low...so eating the whole of "smaller meals, throughout the day" would probably be best. Mind you, I also have hypoglycemia and am having to do the un-fun dance myself. My friends are learning that I wait for *no one* before I order food/eat. ;) Be good to you!

Yup! I carry food and will order at least a small salad or appetizer right away when we go out to eat.

Thank you for the input
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I honestly wouldn't attempt it if I were you. There is no point in putting your health at risk when you can lose weight just as effectively with a consistent calorie deficit on a weekly basis. I suffer from hypoglycaemia too and would never consider doing the 5:2 method.
  • Botticelligirl
    Botticelligirl Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi, I also have reactive hypoglycaemia, and the 5:2 method is not a good idea. The best way I've personally found to prevent the hypoglycaemia from happening is to make sure I eat some protein with every meal, and to avoid meals high in refined carbs that raise your blood sugar quickly and then bring it down again.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    faegirl22 wrote: »
    I can't call my Dr as he tells me I need to come in, which costs me $126 per visit (Yes, I'm in the process of trying to find a new dr but most are the same with my insurance).
    Thank God we have Free National Health service here in the UK.
    OP, i wouldn't chance doing the 5:2 diet if i were you.
    I'm one of these people who has to eat every 3-4 hours (but i'm not actually Hypoglycemic), but even i wouldn't risk it!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    As someone who suffers from severe hypoglycemia myself, trying 5:2 would be an absolutely terrible idea. Do not even think about it. It is not an option for you.

I've never heard of not being able to call your doctor… Sounds questionable to me. With a condition like yours, you can call your doctor at any time to schedule an appointment.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have reactive hypoglycaemia and am finding a low carb high fat diet is working very well for me. My blood sugars are steady and I have an easier time stickin to my calories as I'm not hungry or crashing anymore.
  • faegirl22
    Options
    I have reactive hypoglycaemia and am finding a low carb high fat diet is working very well for me. My blood sugars are steady and I have an easier time stickin to my calories as I'm not hungry or crashing anymore.

I've noticed low carb actually does the opposite for me, if I don't have some kind of carb (Oatmeal, 21 grain bread usually) in the AM and one in the evening my blood sugar seems to tank faster
  • faegirl22
    Options
    As someone who suffers from severe hypoglycemia myself, trying 5:2 would be an absolutely terrible idea. Do not even think about it. It is not an option for you.

I've never heard of not being able to call your doctor… Sounds questionable to me. With a condition like yours, you can call your doctor at any time to schedule an appointment.

Oh, I can call to schedule an appointment but he won't do phone consults, he's 'too busy'. Each appointment costs me $126, plus like $80 if he needs to do any blood work and then another appointment fee to go over bloodwork results. I'm trying to find another doctor but most seem to be the same cost