Moving from My Hometown

Options
ashleybreanna13
ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
Hi there,

Just wanting to get some advice/support. My boyfriend & I are thinking about moving south. We were born & raised in Minnesota, & we've been looking for a home in the country here for about 2 years. It's just becoming outrageously priced around here. Here, you get a mobile home on 7 acres & they ask $250,000. We could get a VERY nice home on more acres in the south for that price or less. We realize that the soil & lakes up here bring the price up. But we're okay with land to just 4wheel on, hike on, & give a good barrier for privacy.

My biggest reason is the winter. I cannot stand it here. It's not just the cold, & the snow, & the ice, it's the depression I sink into when winter rolls around.

My boyfriends biggest reason is the price. He wants more land for his money.

Our biggest concern is being away from family. We are both very close to our families.

Can I get any advice from someone who moved away from their family to be happier? Just wanting support. Thank you.

Replies

• MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My sister moved from NY to NC about 18 years ago for school and stayed and my kids and I moved from NY to NC about 2 years ago while my parents are still in NY. We are all loving it in NC.

Good luck!
  • TFG_em
    TFG_em Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley! I know exactly how you are feeling. I was born and raised in the northeast, then moved to Texas last year. I had no friends or family in Texas and the transition has been difficult at times, but I think it is important to remember why you moved in the first place and to embrace the adventure that is getting to know your new home. It is exciting to learn about your new surroundings, and develop a sense of pride for the place you chose to be your home. As far as friends and family, it has been important for me to let them know that I'm still there for them despite the distance. This means more frequent phone calls, and saving up to visit at least twice a year. I make sure they know that even though I moved far away, they are still a priority in my life. You'll miss them, and they'll miss you but I'm sure they'll be proud of whatever decision you make and support your next step. Personally, I think I would have regretted not taking a risk and making the move.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just moved 1800 miles from Utah to the Gulf Coast in Mississippi. We had never lived more than 30 minutes from either of our parents. We didn't move for a job or any reason other than we wanted to.
    It's an adventure and it's a lot of fun. We moved with the plan to go back for a summer visit. Family misses us, but it's fun to be out on our own.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Like Momto3 I moved with my wife and child to NC from CT 21 years ago. We knew no one in NC at all. In some ways it was nice to escape some of the extended family drama but there are also times of missing those you love. As both my wife's parents grew ill and passed it meant a lot of travel for her to spend time with them before they died but we got through it. Honestly, we would never move north again precisely because of the winters.

In many ways it strengthened our marriage because we had to depend on each other and there was no familial interference. It truly is a deeply personal decision that only you can make. Just remember it is not an irreversible decision but one that could be costly. In a nutshell, we have no regrets 21 years later. Life is what you make it. Best of luck to you!
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you guys for the quick responses. I will be reading them, & re-reading them for awhile, I'm sure. THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. Truly!
  • IndigoSpider
    IndigoSpider Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I moved from CT to FL to Seattle with only 3 cats as company! I didn't know anyone and didn't even have a place to live at first. The first two years were the hardest, missing people the most, but at the same time it was the most fun exploring a new place, finding a home, etc. It is an adventure and, as everyone else said, no regrets. There are good and bad to moving away from everyone and everything you are familiar with but honestly I think my relationships strengthened with the distance. It kept me out of the typical family drama but also made all the "catching up" so much better. Also made best friends and new family along the way.

It also doesn't have to be permanent. I moved back to CT when my parents became ill after twelve years away. I took care of them until they both passed. Now I'm thinking where I shall make my next move. Don't worry about it, there will be difficulties but honestly, it isn't awful. Go for it and enjoy, good luck!
  • ginagee48
    ginagee48 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi thier I moved to be by my family 38 years ago from Liverpool to cheshire im still here with my own family now but now me and my husband want to move open a new chapter in our lives my two sons have also moved away and gone to live in Liverpool my birthplace how ironic only trouble is I keep thinking should I go back to liverpool or opt for spain im still deciding !! Good luck with your decision !!!