CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
edited May 2015 in Chit-Chat
What are your secret methods?

tl19g5jixolm.jpg

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Thinking about creating a thread on ding-dongs just to upset you again and take potential posters away from this thread!
  • PewterSky
    PewterSky Posts: 9,225 Member
    Options
    My secret methods involve chucking everything in my closet or under the bed, it's most effective!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    PewterSky wrote: »
    My secret methods involve chucking everything in my closet or under the bed, it's most effective!
    Thats my method!!!
  • PewterSky
    PewterSky Posts: 9,225 Member
    Options
    But on those rare occasions when I'm feeling particularly enthusiastic to clean, I micro clean and it takes hours and hours to finish (longer if I've put music while I'm at it since I get too busy singing along to my songs...)
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    Thinking about creating a thread on ding-dongs just to upset you again and take potential posters away from this thread!

:D
  • Carpedieznutz
    Carpedieznutz Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I procrastinate until someone else is forced to do it.

u7zg8ls5fb3n.jpg
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    I just cover it up with a towel or blanket
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    Seriously people?
  • ladykate26
    ladykate26 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I don't look and ignore the mess- I'm so well trained I actually don't 'see' it any more. I am a nightmare to live and work with!!!!qmbagwn17i2b.jpg
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I own and operate a cleaning service for a living. So I work all day cleaning everything I see to perfection. Then I come home and have a nightly cleaning routine for my home just like any household. Each night, I wipe all bathrooms down and wipe kitchen daily.I only polish stainless steel twice per week though. Then clean all the floors every night. I only dust and polish wood furniture twice a week. I wash sheets and blankets every other night and do all other laundry daily. I keep to this routine and it's just part of my day. After doing things this way for many years, I do it all without even thinking about it. It just comes naturally.
    When people visit my home for the first time, they always comment on how clean it is. I once had a realtor tell me that my bathroom was so clean that it reminded her of a hospital! Lol!
    I have no idea if you where srs about asking neat freaks about their secrets, but just encase you are being serious,I figured I would reply.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options

B)
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I own and operate a cleaning service for a living. So I work all day cleaning everything I see to perfection. Then I come home and have a nightly cleaning routine for my home just like any household. Each night, I wipe all bathrooms down and wipe kitchen daily.I only polish stainless steel twice per week though. Then clean all the floors every night. I only dust and polish wood furniture twice a week. I wash sheets and blankets every other night and do all other laundry daily. I keep to this routine and it's just part of my day. After doing things this way for many years, I do it all without even thinking about it. It just comes naturally.
    When people visit my home for the first time, they always comment on how clean it is. I once had a realtor tell me that my bathroom was so clean that it reminded her of a hospital! Lol!
    I have no idea if you where srs about asking neat freaks about their secrets, but just encase you are being serious,I figured I would reply.

Yes, I was being serious! How long does your nightly routine take?
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Ok I was hoping that you where serious and not going to laugh. I do have thick skin but I enjoy a neat home so am passionate about it.
    Believe it or not, the nightly routine can be done in about 25 mins. But that's likely only because I've been doing it so long that things never actually get dirty because they are cleaned so often.
    So if you started tonight, it's going to take longer. But after a while, you will be able to get it down to about 20/25 mins because things will already be cleaned. You'll just be touching them up each night so they stay clean !
    What's important to me is a clean bathroom and kitchen. Start off with a big scrubbing. So after that, you will just need quick touch ups. After your big scrubbing, you can even touch things up with Clorox wipes or Lysol wipes so you don't even have to get rags and spray cleaners out. The Lysol wipes make things really easy. Just pull a wipe out and clean the surface then throw the wipe away.
    Make a list of what's important to you. Then just follow through with that list each night until it just becomes part of your routine. You'll be able to do it without even looking after a little while.
    Clean bathrooms, kitchens, and floors are important. Dusting can be done only once a week or twice, so it's really not necessary to dust each night. Also you can start a load of wash before you start your nightly cleaning and it should be just about done and ready to go in dryer by the time your done. You'll figure out a routine that works best for you, it just takes time. After you get through the first major scrubbing, as long as you keep up on it each night, it won't ever get dirty again. After a while, your house will always look clean. Just by wiping down bathrooms and kitchen and vacuuming each night, you'll quickly see how much nicer your home will look and it will feel more comfortable. I have all hardwood floors, so I also quick mop them every night with a swiffer spray mop. No mop buckets, it has the solution already inside. You just spray it with the trigger button and mop :-)
    What I haven't mentioned is clutter. Clutter will make any home seem dirty, even if it's not. So maybe before you start your routine, try to get rid of anything that you don't use that might be laying around the house. Or find a spot for it. If you have a football laying on your table, make a spot for it in your closet or shed and get in the habit of putting your things away. Never leave items randomly placed around the house.if you use something, put it away when your done. Just by knocking out any clutter, your home will look much cleaner and be more comfortable.
    Like I said, this is just how I run my home and it works for me. I take pride in having the cleanest home on the block while still working a full time job, with kids and dogs. But once you figure out a routine that works best for you, just follow through on it . It takes time but once it's part of your daily life, it will be much easier.
    I could write a book on housekeeping as you can see, but if you'd like any cleaning tips or advice, don't hesitate to ask.
  • ladykate26
    ladykate26 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    @thorsmom01 i think you should come to my house and give me a demonstration please
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I am pretty anal about cleaning, though it has become impossible to keep up with two messy boys around. *sigh*
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    Thorsmom: thanks for all the tips. I do the majority of maintenance chores in the morning. Right now, my house is "mostly" decluttered and organized and clean. I still look for tips and tricks to make things go easier. Laundry and the kids' room is still a challenge, but the kitchen, livingroom, bathrooms and my bedroom look pretty good.

It really IS a lot less hassle cleaning an already clean place.

I'm going to reread your post to make sure there wasn't anything I missed.
  • tmoser512
    tmoser512 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For me, after a good scrub-down, it's much easier to keep the house clean. I do a really heavy clean once a week (dusting, scrubbing baseboards, ceiling fans, etc...) and just keep up with it during the week. I feel like I'm always doing something, but it's so nice to have a clean house. I also have 2 little helpers that are absolute life changers...a BOBsweep and a Roomba. The BOBsweep does the tile and the Roomba does the carpeted areas. You still have to run a vacuum/sweep on a regular basis, but they help keep things tidy without spending a ton of time working on the floors in between deep cleanings. If it's difficult keeping up, there's a really neat website that gives you a list of things to do every day that you can fit into your normal routine along with a few deep cleaning items that will help you clear out clutter and keep your house clean - flylady.net. It does cost $$, and if I wasn't able to keep up, I think it would be well worth it.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    @ladykate26 sure :-) anytime :-) as long as you live close to the Jersey shore!

@CJisinShape if your already mostly decluttered, then that's great. Just get yourself some items that will make your morning cleaning routine easier for you and time saving. Like I mentioned, those clorox wipes are great for daily touch ups because you don't have to get out spray cleaners and rags. Just pop out a wipe. Store brand/dollar store brand wipes are just fine and a lot cheaper.
    Another great time saving item is the swiffer wet jet mop. Instead of dragging out a mop bucket, mop, floor cleaners, all you need to do is pop on a clean mop pad and pull the trigger. The solution is ready to go in this battery powered mop! Of course these items aren't for major scrubbing, but since you stated that your home is already tidy these will work just fine. Things that make cleaning easier and quicker will help you stay in your daily routine because it won't be such a pain in the neck to drag everything out and put it all away. These items will make things fast and simple. I also love the dry swiffer pads for hardwood and laminate floors, they really do pick up a lot of dust! Another great item is the swiffer duster. It's basically a disposable huge cotton ball that grabs all the dust(for dusting knick knacks ,tv entertainment centers,electronics and so on) you don't need to get out spray and rags, just dust with the duster and throw it away when it's dirty! When something is convenient, we're more likely to use it!
    It's really just going to be about what is most important to you. Whatever works best for you! Happy cleaning