Kids wearing makeup

Options

Replies

• PewterSky
    PewterSky Posts: 9,224 Member
    Options
    I don't think little girls should be wearing makeup of any kind. They'll have many years ahead of them to wear it so I think it should be off limits until about 14/15. You know, high-school aged. I don't think playing with makeup early on would be the primary cause of low self esteem, though. Little kids should be little kids and not have to worry about adult things like makeup or waxing.

I agree, personally I find it so tedious at times too! They have their whole lives ahead of them to do all that stuff.

While we're on the subject of make-up, what are your thoughts on how the fashion industry projects the younger ones these days? Have seen some really glammed up pre teens. I remember reading an article a while back about a photo-shoot that appeared in Vogue and caused quite an uproar. It featured a 10 year old French model who according to many looked very provocative and on the road to setting bad example for little girls. Personally, I felt something was very off about those shots.

Thylane-Blondeauma_1967504a.jpg

thylane-lena-rose-blondeau.jpg
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    moledew wrote: »
    I also feel like kids get most of their insecurities from their parents. If i constantly harp on my weight, my girls will probably grow up with body image issues too. I just let them, well ellie, my youngest is 7 months, know that I am losing weight to be healthy for them so we can be more active together. Never that I hate the reflection in the mirror, feel miserable and want to steal their clothes one day! ;)

Agreed. I explained to my daughter what I felt was healthy eating. Explained to her that it's not only about my weight but also for my high cholesterol and blood pressure.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    moledew wrote: »
    I'm just curious about this subject. Do you think it's inappropriate for a 7 year old to wear the little makeup kits? Would you allow your daughter to go in public with pink lip gloss or is that just asking for a pedophile to abduct them? Also, do you think that playing with makeup at that age causes them to grow up with insecurities and to become self conscious?

This is a good question. Many women, myself included, wear makeup to cover up blemishes and because we feel we look better that way. I do feel insecure when I go out and I don't wear it. Little girls on the other hand don't really know that. They put on make up and it's not because they're insecure about a blemish, it's more because they want to act like a 'grown-up' or mess around and have a little girly fun.

Teach your daughter she is beautiful no matter what and you won't have to worry about her becoming self conscious not wearing makeup. :)

I don't think it's inappropriate for little girls to play with make up at home but to go out or to go to school like that, I wouldn't allow it.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Ugh, that's tough. I agree with you, though, that some flavoured chapstick she wants to carry in a purse is no big deal at all. Lots of girls that age go through a period of wanting to wear purses/be grown-up, etc. My daughter loves to carry a purse with her chapstick in it and her various "credit card" type stuff (old points cards, etc.). Totally normal and age-appropriate.
  • NewMeSM75
    Options
    PewterSky wrote: »
    I don't think little girls should be wearing makeup of any kind. They'll have many years ahead of them to wear it so I think it should be off limits until about 14/15. You know, high-school aged. I don't think playing with makeup early on would be the primary cause of low self esteem, though. Little kids should be little kids and not have to worry about adult things like makeup or waxing.

I agree, personally I find it so tedious at times too! They have their whole lives ahead of them to do all that stuff.

While we're on the subject of make-up, what are your thoughts on how the fashion industry projects the younger ones these days? Have seen some really glammed up pre teens. I remember reading an article a while back about a photo-shoot that appeared in Vogue and caused quite an uproar. It featured a 10 year old French model who according to many looked very provocative and on the road to setting bad example for little girls. Personally, I felt something was very off about those shots.

Thylane-Blondeauma_1967504a.jpg

thylane-lena-rose-blondeau.jpg

This is disturbing to me. Not only make up but the heels. I'm against this. Just me as a parent.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I grew up with theater/ballet and makeup from the time I was six - but makeup had a purpose. Eye liner and shadow were to help people at the back of the theater see my eyes. Lipstick was to help my smile show up from hundreds of feet away. As an adult, I wear makeup with the same kind of purpose, and probably only about five or six times a year. If I'm putting on make up and my daughter wants to wear some for the same occasion, I help her put it on, and I explain what effect we're going for. Sometimes the effect is Zombie horror. We have that makeup kit too, and perform the enhancements with gusto. It is important to like who you are, but knowing how to be ANYTHING is also empowering. We've also helped Daddy put on a black eye for Halloween when he was a boxer that one time. He used the same makeup we do to fantastic effect.
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ok seriously? Theres nothing inappropriate or sexual about makeup. its MAKEUP. The thought that a child molester will go after your kid if they see them wearing lip gloss is way in the territory of victim-blaming and a dangerous misunderstanding of the mentality of sexual predators.

Let your child dress up and feel pretty if they want to. Theres nothing wrong with that.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old likes to have painted nails (like I do) and occasionally wear lip colour (again, like I do.) She also has a lot of days where she doesn't wear anything, funnily enough just like I do... children love to emulate the adults around them, and it is a parent's (or carer, family member, etc) responsibility to talk to them about things like makeup if they're expressing an interest. To ensure they grow up with a good relationship with any method of modifying your appearance, whether that be makeup, piercings, or colouring their hair.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    A. as someone who was / is a victim of a pedophile I can assure you that he never gave a *kitten* whether or not I had on some glitter gloss or purple eye shadow. I find it offensive that anyone would even suggest that a child playing with/wearing makeup is inviting sexual abuse. That it is in anyway at all ever a childs fault hell no. I wish I never read this thread to be honest
    b.let the little girls be little girls and if for them playing with fairy/princess/president/carebear makeup kits is fun let them be.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old puts on some makeup but only in the house or maybe for a wedding. The Cadeaux pics though, open shirt to the waist? really?
  • jonrenly
    Options
    icck wrote: »
    My 4 year old likes to have painted nails (like I do) and occasionally wear lip colour (again, like I do.) She also has a lot of days where she doesn't wear anything, funnily enough just like I do... children love to emulate the adults around them, and it is a parent's (or carer, family member, etc) responsibility to talk to them about things like makeup if they're expressing an interest. To ensure they grow up with a good relationship with any method of modifying your appearance, whether that be makeup, piercings, or colouring their hair.

I totally agree with this and think this is a great approach whenever your child starts expressing interest in anything. Be the parent and talk to your child about the things they're taking an interest in and encourage them to pursue the things that make them happy, whatever they may be, in a healthy way. Completely forbidding something they enjoy doing, thats not hurting them or others, is not a good solution.
  • moledew
    moledew Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I don't see why her mother is so upset. Lip gloss for most part seems harmless. My daughter did the same thing. She had the hand sanitizer from Justice that she clipped on her back pack. She had her chap stick. And I will tell you that my daughter is not big on makeup at 12. She doesn't have an interest but she did want to play with it when she was younger. As a matter of fact, I put full make up on her when she was in a school beauty pageant. She couldn't wait to get home to take it off.

P.S. I am remarried and my husband's ex isn't easy to get along with. It may not be all tied to the makeup. Mixed families are sometimes hard. Good luck! [/quote]

Yes! she bucks us on everything! She was recently laid off, we just bought a new vehicle and I have a feeling that is where this stemmed from but I really wanted other mother's opinions. I wear a face full everyday, i feel naked without it. But i also never look like Im wearing much and apparently and look "sick" when I dont. You can see in my pics that it really only looks like Im wearing eye liner and mascara. I just don't see how wearing lip gloss constitutes as makeup- i think she likes the flavor more than anything!
  • NewMeSM75
    Options
    In response to the pics, I will add that I am the same way with clothes. Her dresses don't come up to her behind. Not due to pedophiles or anything like that either. Because I find it inappropriate. She can dress up like that for home but not for public.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Let me rephrase the question:

Do you think it's inappropriate for a woman to wear makeup? Would you allow a woman to walk in public with pink lip gloss or is that asking for a sexual predator to abduct them? Do you think all women that wear makeup are insecure and self conscious?

Something rubs me the wrong way about the mentality that makeup= sexualized. It's paint for your face. Why does it effect other people and their lives so much?

Makeup IS sexualized. Makeup like lipstick and lip gloss are meant to mimic the way a woman's lips will turn redder as she is sexually turned on. The same goes for cheeks and the use of blush. These are clear signs of arousal and the original purpose of makeup was to reproduce that look in order to increase the woman's attractiveness. Do we think of this when we put make up on? Probably not. But, do men respond to the reddened lips and cheeks? Yes, it's our inner primitive instincts.

I don't think it is the sole reason that a pedophile or rapist would go after a woman but it certainly doesn't discourage it. I personally don't wear make up for the main reason that it's unnecessary and ends up clogging pores, irritating my eyes, etc. Most young girls who wear foundation end up wearing more to cover up the zits that are already popping up due to their changing hormones. Let kids be kids. If they're pre-puberty, a definite no for me. If they're teens, I'm okay but I would discourage it and encourage them to find their own sense of beauty without it.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have daughters. They don't wear makeup or nail polish. (Once I allowed clear nail polish on toes). They have had many special occasions (wedding, parties, performances) and on those occasions they wear beautiful dresses and jewelry, and I do their hair in an elaborate little girl hairstyle.

It's not something we argue about - they know some things are for kids, some things for adults. They love their kid hair bows, clips, puffy dresses, etc. They feel beautiful and special without trying to look like an adult.
  • moledew
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    A. as someone who was / is a victim of a pedophile I can assure you that he never gave a *kitten* whether or not I had on some glitter gloss or purple eye shadow. I find it offensive that anyone would even suggest that a child playing with/wearing makeup is inviting sexual abuse. That it is in anyway at all ever a childs fault hell no. I wish I never read this thread to be honest
    b.let the little girls be little girls and if for them playing with fairy/princess/president/carebear makeup kits is fun let them be.

Im so sorry to hear that and I apologize for any offense I may have caused. This is not my opinion though, just was her mother's excuse for not letting her wear it. I feel as if most child predators are obsessed with the innocence (which is a catch 22 because they completely rob children of it!!!) therefore, looking more mature is probably not something that entices them more. Although I still stick with the fact that having glittery lips isnt "mature". How many grown women wear glittery Estee Lauder??
  • moledew
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »

Do you think it's inappropriate for a woman to wear makeup? Would you allow a woman to walk in public with pink lip gloss or is that asking for a sexual predator to abduct them? Do you think all women that wear makeup are insecure and self conscious?

Something rubs me the wrong way about the mentality that makeup= sexualized. It's paint for your face. Why does it effect other people and their lives so much?

Makeup IS sexualized. Makeup like lipstick and lip gloss are meant to mimic the way a woman's lips will turn redder as she is sexually turned on. The same goes for cheeks and the use of blush. These are clear signs of arousal and the original purpose of makeup was to reproduce that look in order to increase the woman's attractiveness. Do we think of this when we put make up on? Probably not. But, do men respond to the reddened lips and cheeks? Yes, it's our inner primitive instincts.

I don't think it is the sole reason that a pedophile or rapist would go after a woman but it certainly doesn't discourage it. I personally don't wear make up for the main reason that it's unnecessary and ends up clogging pores, irritating my eyes, etc. Most young girls who wear foundation end up wearing more to cover up the zits that are already popping up due to their changing hormones. Let kids be kids. If they're pre-puberty, a definite no for me. If they're teens, I'm okay but I would discourage it and encourage them to find their own sense of beauty without it.

I admittedly don't know a whole lot about the history of make up but was it not first used on men? same goes for high heels? Either way, I agree that my girls will not wear a full face until they're well into their teen years and can properly put it on without looking like Bozo the clown IF the desire is even there for them. But right now, this is our bonding time. We play with hair, do our nails, she watches me do mine and puts on her chap-stick when I'm doing my lip stick. I think its adorable when she stands there watching me completely intrigued. I had to teach her how to dry her hair after showering (with the towel) and brush it because her mom is THAT against vanity. Brushed hair, who needs it?!
  • jonrenly
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »

So help me out here, what should I wear to discourage the primitive caveman who simply cannot help himself from attacking a pretty looking woman from choosing me as his target? A burqa? Thanks for your help
  • NewMeSM75
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think her mom has something in her past that has her fearful. I was molested by my uncle. Not as extreme as some have experience but it went on for a long time. I was between 5 and 6 years old. My goal in life is to not only protect my children but also educate them. We talked about their private areas, talked about what to do if someone touches them, I know signs, and to this day, there is nothing that I won't discuss with my children. I remember my dad saying if anyone touched my daughter he would kill them so I wouldn't tell. I made sure to let my kids know that they can talk to me about ANYTHING. I don't want my past to affect my daughter's self confidence. I wasn't wearing make up, didn't dress inappropriate either. I was 5. I want my daughter to have a happy childhood. I want her to grow up with confidence. I was her to be educated. Will it stop someone from violating her? Heck no. But that's all I can do as a mother. Teaching her that if she wears lip gloss, she may get attacked is ridiculous. I will not teach her to not have good hygiene in order to void off attackers. I'm no expert but alot of attacks happen not solely for purpose of sex but for control. Not because of pink lip gloss or red nail polish.

I use this same logic with my son's. I will discuss stds, safe sex and everything. I even had the private area talk with my son because boys get violated too. Not discussing something in life doesn't make it go away.

Other person, I think you have wonderful bonding time. You have a good heart. Enjoy that little girl. Sounds like you're creating wonderful memories.