suggestions for fruits

Options
fjsld
fjsld Posts: 1 Member
I always here get your fruits in! But fruits are so high in carbs and sugars!! Suggestions?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Have a serving or two of fruit per day. Carbs aren't the devil and I highly doubt the obesity epidemic is due to having an apple a day.

Unless you have a medical condition that warrants watching sugar or you are an individual who eats a lot of added sugar (i.e. eats a lot of sweet, drinks sodas, etc) I would personally track something else. Sugar in and of itself isn't the devil...eating a cake and washing it down with a 40 ounce Big Gulp is probably not a good idea though. Perspective and context is important.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All foods are high in food. They feed us. Fruits are also full of fiber and micro-nutrients like Vitamin C. They are satisfying and keep us full. I have a fruit with lunch usually and I have lots of vegetables as well. This weekend I made a Waldorf salad with carrots, raisins, walnuts, and apples with a light dressing. It's very satisfying.
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love fruit, and I often eat more than two servings a day. I just fit into my goals for the day. It satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical issue stop tracking sugar. I track fiber instead. Much more useful information. Problem solved.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Studies show that no matter what other factors are included, the more fruit you eat the lower your chance of developing type 2 diabetes. The only kind of sugar to be concerned with is added sugar. Natural sugars in foods are not a problem.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I love Cuties (little tangerines), Bartlett pears, Royal Gala apples (the crunchier the better!), and especially strawberries. I have half a frozen banana in my protein shake. I don't limit fruit; as another said, it satisfies my sweet teeth ('cause all of them are!). I get creative with fruit in my salads.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @wanttobefit300 I took a peek on google scholar and this is the first hit. No significant difference for fruits, but green leafy vegetables look hopeful.

http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c4229.short
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Remember that fruit--particularly as a dessert or snack-- is often a replacement for something even more high-calorie / low nutrient like cake, cookies or candy. Yes, they have sugar. But compare the nutrition of two tangerines (calories 80, total fat 0.4g, total carbs 20g, dietary fiber 3g, sugars 16g) versus 3 Chips Ahoy cookies (calories 160, fat 8g, total carbs 22g, fiber 0.7, sugars 11g). The tangerines have more sugar, but also more fiber, fewer calories, and lower fat.
  • Lukyanenko
    Lukyanenko Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Not just fruits.
    Strawberries, Raspberries, Cantaloupe, Blueberries, and Papaya are all nutrient dense.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Red cherries are in season and delish and low calorie