Abs - any point?

Options
Cladf
Cladf Posts: 60 Member
So this is a bit of a rookie question - but while I still have a LOT of weight to lose (78lbs approx), I get there's benefit in doing cardio / strength training - I'm about to get a basic programme at my gym to make sure I do both as I don't want to lose lean muscle while I lose weight.

However, is there any point in doing focused body part exercises (like ab workouts, butt, thighs etc) while I'm so far away from goal?

Might be a silly question, just thought I'd check with you guys :)

Replies

• blue_eyes1978
    blue_eyes1978 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have been using Lindsay Brims postnatal boot camp she mixes it up pretty good for you! I also like Denise Austins 3 week boot camp. They will both help you sculpt and burn you will see results! Best wishes on your journey!
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have found while losing weight that working on making my core stronger has been really beneficial. Having a stronger core has helped improve my form and endurance. I have felt stronger and I think it's led to improved energy. Maybe it's all in my head, but I'm really glad that I have worked on strengthening those areas even when I had a good bit of weight to lose.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You're going to get the most bang for your buck with a full body lifting program that focuses primarily on compound lifts...this will work everything, including your core. There is benefit to isolation movements, but far too many people over-emphasize this work. I do some ab work, but it's not a very substantial part of my programming.

It really doesn't have anything to do with how close or far you are from goal...it has more to do with working a well programmed routine. Think of it like building a house...the most structurally important aspect of the house is your foundation...these are your compound lifts...the next most important aspect is the structural frame...you can look at various assistance exercises as this frame work; assistance exercises "assist" you in making your primary lifts better...the least important aspect from a functional POV are the fixtures and whatnot...i.e. direct ab work, arm curls, etc.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Short answer: yes. Those kinds of workouts target specific muscles with moves that isolate them. Otherwise it can be hard to use your glutes/hamstrings for example, since the quads tend to be already stronger and want to do all the work. And the more you have good balanced strength, the more you'll notice things like better posture, easier gait, less effort to stand up etc.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You're going to get the most bang for your buck with a full body lifting program that focuses primarily on compound lifts...this will work everything, including your core. There is benefit to isolation movements, but far too many people over-emphasize this work. I do some ab work, but it's not a very substantial part of my programming.

It really doesn't have anything to do with how close or far you are from goal...it has more to do with working a well programmed routine. Think of it like building a house...the most structurally important aspect of the house is your foundation...these are your compound lifts...the next most important aspect is the structural frame...you can look at various assistance exercises as this frame work; assistance exercises "assist" you in making your primary lifts better...the least important aspect from a functional POV are the fixtures and whatnot...i.e. direct ab work, arm curls, etc.

This is the correct answer. Listen to this guy.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

Yup
  • snorkizzle
    snorkizzle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    aakaakaak wrote: »

As she's going for a basic membership at a gym and still has a lot to lose I think the one size fits all compound lift answer isn't perfect unless she's also planning on finding a strength coach and learning proper form. Compound lifts are great for building overall strength but not necessarily wonderful for aesthetics unless you want to look like a centaur. (All this being said I do the main lifts at least twice weekly but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for someone who's main focus is on weight loss)

If you like doing ab workouts then do ab workouts. Working abs is also beneficial for cardio and compound lifting and over time you'll find that they assist you in these activities. Also butt and thigh workouts probably incorporate plenty of bodyweight squats and lunges which are great - specially if you are already on the heavier side.

• Ryanstwin
    Ryanstwin Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Hit the nail on the head
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    snorkizzle wrote: »

As she's going for a basic membership at a gym and still has a lot to lose I think the one size fits all compound lift answer isn't perfect unless she's also planning on finding a strength coach and learning proper form. Compound lifts are great for building overall strength but not necessarily wonderful for aesthetics unless you want to look like a centaur. (All this being said I do the main lifts at least twice weekly but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for someone who's main focus is on weight loss)

If you like doing ab workouts then do ab workouts. Working abs is also beneficial for cardio and compound lifting and over time you'll find that they assist you in these activities. Also butt and thigh workouts probably incorporate plenty of bodyweight squats and lunges which are great - specially if you are already on the heavier side.

Really?

You don't know her aesthetic goals if any.

I am more muscular than most women would like to be and that's fine. If they express they want arms like mine but not as muscular, or they want to lose weight but not look like me, I tell them not to worry, they never will.

I'm a freaking size US 4. 142 lbs I was 220 lbs size US 16. I accomplished this with DIET and LIFTING alone no cardo (not to say you shouldn't do cardio) Weight training is an awesome way to help with weight loss.

And guess what? I've NEVER done a compound lift. There I admit it.
    Never done a squat even body weight. No OHP. No RDL. I Isolate everything bc its what I have access to just machines.
    I make the best of it. I don't have a partner or a lifting coach so I do what I can. I don't advise ANYONE TO DO THIS. I have muscle imbalances as a result. No delts at all. Don't cheat yourself like I have.

All that to say work those abs OP you want a strong core. Try to get into a gym that has a trainer and more than machines.
  • lushers80
    lushers80 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Top post.
    Focus on compound lifts as they burn more energy due to utilizing more muscles.
    Also after a heavy workout you will continue to remain in a fat burning state for a time after.
    Don't worry too much about direct abs workouts, abs become visible at around 17% body fat. Whether you work them like a dog or not.
  • cwolfman13
    edited May 2015
    Options

Not true...your rep range is going to have more to do with optimal strength or aesthetics than whether or not you're doing compound lifts. Compounds lifts are the foundation of any legitimate lifting routine I've ever looked at whether the goal was strength, hypertrophy, or muscular endurance/stamina.

My guess is that you are simply associating compound lifts with "heavy" low rep work...compound lifts can and should be used in a variety of rep ranges. Also, compound lifts don't necessarily have to involve a bar bell and plates...there are numerous variations of squats, deads, and presses that don't involve a barbell but would still be considered a compound lift.

Note that I also said, "most bang for the buck"...meaning this would be the optimal way to train, not necessarily the only way to train.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

This guy is always on point ^^
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

What he said.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Cladf wrote: »
    However, is there any point in doing focused body part exercises (like ab workouts, butt, thighs etc) while I'm so far away from goal?

Might be a silly question, just thought I'd check with you guys :)
    First, go with what has already been said about compound lifts.
    Second, on the off-chance that you're asking indirectly about spot reduction (the idea of removing fat from a specific body area), the answer is no. You can build specific muscles, but you can never remove body fat from specific body parts - the body uses fat from locations in an order that is a little unique to each person. If your body doesn't have a tendency to use abdominal fat for energy, no amount of planks are going to force your body to burn fat from your abdomen before other sources.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options

Not true...your rep range is going to have more to do with optimal strength or aesthetics than whether or not you're doing compound lifts. Compounds lifts are the foundation of any legitimate lifting routine I've ever looked at whether the goal was strength, hypertrophy, or muscular endurance/stamina.

My guess is that you are simply associating compound lifts with "heavy" low rep work...compound lifts can and should be used in a variety of rep ranges. Also, compound lifts don't necessarily have to involve a bar bell and plates...there are numerous variations of squats, deads, and presses that don't involve a barbell but would still be considered a compound lift.

Note that I also said, "most bang for the buck"...meaning this would be the optimal way to train, not necessarily the only way to train.

This is on point... I sometimes will go light and focus at 20-25 reps, then other days med weight with 15 reps, and even some days I go heavy for 2-5 reps. The point is you can always vary it with different rep/weight intervals. For weight loss you can also add a cardio set between each weight lifting set. That will increase your aerobic and anaerobic threshholds.

• cwolfman13
    Options
    OP, another option might be to look at some circuit training and/or boot camp type of stuff. That's kind of where I started and the class I took gave me a pretty good introduction to compounds as well as other workouts. At the time, my emphasis was really on getting some resistance training in while also optimizing my calorie burn and increasing my overall fitness level...that quickly evolved into more traditional lifting which I was familiar with from my high school days, but it had been awhile.

The point of my previous posts were simply to illustrate that just doing a bunch of work in isolation really isn't optimal...your body doesn't work in isolation, so why would you train that way? I try to look at my body as this machine that needs to have all of it's parts working together, so that's how I train my body for the most part. I do a bit of isolation type of work, but it's generally the last thing I do any given workout...and if I'm short on time, that's the stuff I skip. In addition to my traditional compound lifts, I also do a lot of Oly work..between that and traditional compounds, I hit my core pretty hard so I don't do a ton of direct work there...I spend maybe 5 minutes or so a couple days per week.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I do core work but that more strong core=strong base=harder to be moved and many of the bodyweight core moves make for a good warmup before mma class.
  • Cladf
    Cladf Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ta everyone for the great advice...
    senecarr wrote: »
    Second, on the off-chance that you're asking indirectly about spot reduction (the idea of removing fat from a specific body area), the answer is no. You can build specific muscles, but you can never remove body fat from specific body parts - the body uses fat from locations in an order that is a little unique to each person. If your body doesn't have a tendency to use abdominal fat for energy, no amount of planks are going to force your body to burn fat from your abdomen before other sources.

Definitely not trying to spot tone - wouldn't it be amazing if we could though? :) But yeah, i've lurked here for a wee while and know that's not going to be possible. Was more wondering whether doing specific targeted workouts would be better spent doing other things...which by the sounds of it, might be the case.

So compound lifts tied in with cardio (boot camp/circuits sounds like a good idea actually...) seems like the best of both worlds. I'll definitely need to keep a bit of a relationship with a personal trainer - I've never done that kind of lifting before but I've heard great things so it seems like a good route to take. Should I go for something structured like Stronglifts 5x5 style, or just go with a recommendation from the PT?