Half Marathon - Race Day experience, tips, etc.

Options
Hi everyone!

I am running my first half marathon in just a couple of weeks. I have been training for a long time and feel very confident that I am well-prepared and will be able to do it! However, I'm getting nervous about the race day itself. I've literally never even been through a water station! The only other race I've ever done is a 5k and not a very serious one at that. Any tips or advice for a newbie? What should I expect? I would love to hear about others' experiences and appreciate your insight!

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Perfectly normal. You'll be fine. If you know your pace and your HM has pacer groups, line up with the appropriate pacer. They love helping people out, especially first timers, and are very helpful.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Yayyy that's exciting! You should expect a fun day! I think the hardest part is getting to the starting line (completing training) so you're already there! I'm sure you've heard this before but my best advice is to pace yourself at the beginning! I did my first half marathon this past fall and the excitement and adrenaline caused me to run faster at the beginning than I was planning on. By miles 11-13 I was DEAD and I knew it's because I didn't pace myself according to how I had in training. That's it from me! Enjoy your race and make sure you have FUN! That's what it's about. There's nothing to be nervous about. :)
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first half this past weekend. I was SO nervous! It was actually a lot of fun and I would totally do it again! My experience at the water stations was 10 people trying to give me water. Just grab one and say thank you. :) And I agree with @alpine1994 to pace yourself in the beginning. Most people seem to agree that for you first half marathon, just completing it is the goal. Good luck and have a great time!
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I did my first half last year. I was so freaking nervous! The main thing my coach told us was just to have fun and enjoy it. I agree with others in that it's best to pace yourself; just take it all in and have fun. :) Everyone was so helpful and encouraging. After I spilt my first cup of water all over me, I slowed a little bit to grab the cup of water. LOL Then again I am a little clumsy. Just make sure you stay hydrated and fueled. Wish you the best and have a blast!!
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    One thing for sure is please make sure you pace yourself to what's comfortable. This year will be my 6th half marathon and it is a great challenge for anyone. Because this is your first I wouldn't worry about how quickly you do it as opposed to just finishing it without any strain or pain of any sort. And please do not start off too quickly otherwise the second half of the marathon, you'll run out of gas and have nothing left. the first 10.4 k is always the easiest, but remember you still have another 10.4 to go. My first half I finished at 152:45 and felt pretty good just running at a comfort level. Last year I ran a 133:20, but that's with a lot of training. After your first, you will probably want to run another one when you see how good you feel. And there is nothing wrong with stopping for a few minutes if you get tired as well. some people do 6 minutes on, 2 minutes off or whatever works for you. Remember to carb up really well a couple of days before the run as well including race day. get up a couple of hours early and have maybe some oatmeal, toast or even a banana. Also some gatorade which has electrolites. Good luck to you on your race. One more tip I find thats it's easier to stop and drink your water quickly then to keep running and drink it, you don't run out of breath as much.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I love having a camelbak it is great so I don't have to worry about the water stations. I will drink a powerade at an occasional station. I also will poor a water on my head to keep me cool. Have fun that is the most important thing to do.

29509743.png
  • Barrelquest
    Barrelquest Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Its hard to drink went your huffing and puffing. Plus stopping slowing for water messes up your pace and everything. I would just keep cruising on pass until maybe at one of the later water stations if its hot. Otherwise, just skip it all ,...your done in 2 hours anyway.
  • Barrelquest
    Barrelquest Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also, stopping or slowing and changing up your pace is a "Garunteeed" way to start up a cramp. One thing I have learned is never stop :)
  • yogini_runner82
    yogini_runner82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Pace. I remember my 1st half-marathon I came out chuggin' full steam and by the end I was dead. Hydrate yourself and skip the water stations (or hit the last one.).

Run it as if you were training. You are not running it to win
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Tip for running and drinking at the same time - when they hand you the cup, crush the top of it so the opening is now just a slit, then sip off that. You can even pinch the top part so there is just a small opening to sip from. Keeps it from splashing all over you. Especially useful if you are reaching for a cup of gatorade and don't want it splashing all over you.

Also if it is a hot day don't be afraid to take water and dump it on your head. Just make sure you don't dump gatorade on your head...
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    DO NOT STOP! By now you should know your pace. Remember, you can't maintain a fast pace for 13 miles like you can for 3. Less clothing the better. What I mean is no long shorts or long sleeve shirts. If you're gonna wear a hat make sure it's not black. I prefer no hat. Music is important to me. I don't mind using the armband but some people hate that for some reason. So you have a couple of weeks so now is the time to check your gear, figure out what's comfortable for you. Find the right headphones as well, and make sure it's water/sweat proof. Not all headphones are the same. I have an over the ear Bluetooth set that took me quite a few runs to find the perfect way to wear it. Good luck!
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If you're listening to music, make sure your iPod is charged!
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    ^^^ OR Android :)
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Have fun. If they have pacers, join up. Let them know you are a first timer. At the end, yell out first timer. As far as water, what do you do for water on your training runs? rule of thumb for most, drink 16 ounces 90 mins before start. Carry your own if you can..I carry a 10 ounce disposable bottle for halfs. If they have paper cups, you can get one and walk thru water stops..just pick up pace before water stops and be dure not to get in someone's way that is behind you. You can practice the next step..grab the paper cup with one hand..pinch one end with your fingers and you have a great way of drinking out of cup while you run..if my exp. does not make sense..google. Have fun and we are excited for you. WOOOO!!!!
  • oilphins
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There's a pace of running called fartlek. Look it up especially beacuse this is your first marathon. Everyone is saying don't stop, but as long as you have enough water in you, you WILL NOT cramp up. You get cramps from being dehydrated and not having enough water. I use to run and stop all the time before I built up my cardio and NEVER got a cramp. Fartlek is like I said earlier when you run or jog at a good pace and then walk for a bit, then run again. Unless your a olympic runner or run half marathons at a really fast pace, don't worry, you won't cramp up. As for the water stations, everyone is different. I personally stop for 5 seconds because when you run, you usually breathe through your mouth and find it's harder to catch your breath then quickly stopping for a quick shot of water. you do what's comfortable for you.
  • bitsinator
    bitsinator Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Get up early enough to:
    1. Eat something small
    2. Pee
    3. Poop
    Practice this race day wake-up routine on your long runs to make sure you'll have no tummy trouble on your big day. You don't want to hit the wall on an empty stomach, and you don't want a surprise visit from the fecal fairy!

Good luck with your race and don't forget to smile for the cameras!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    oilphins wrote: »
    There's a pace of running called fartlek. Look it up especially beacuse this is your first marathon. Everyone is saying don't stop, but as long as you have enough water in you, you WILL NOT cramp up. You get cramps from being dehydrated and not having enough water. I use to run and stop all the time before I built up my cardio and NEVER got a cramp. Fartlek is like I said earlier when you run or jog at a good pace and then walk for a bit, then run again. Unless your a olympic runner or run half marathons at a really fast pace, don't worry, you won't cramp up. As for the water stations, everyone is different. I personally stop for 5 seconds because when you run, you usually breathe through your mouth and find it's harder to catch your breath then quickly stopping for a quick shot of water. you do what's comfortable for you.

That isn't what a "fartlek" run is. A fartlek is a type of workout (literally translates as "speed play") where the idea is to do unstructured speed work. You might sprint for 50 yards, then jog for a bit, sprint 100, then jog, etc. It has nothing to do with a race strategy
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Race day is a blast! My suggestions:
    Have a nutrition and hydration plan. (I personally choose not to use the water stations and just have a flask or 2 with me in my fuel belt). Make sure its not so different than your training plans.
    Make a kick-a** playlist.
    Have fun!
  • oilphins
    edited May 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    oilphins wrote: »

That isn't what a "fartlek" run is. A fartlek is a type of workout (literally translates as "speed play") where the idea is to do unstructured speed work. You might sprint for 50 yards, then jog for a bit, sprint 100, then jog, etc. It has nothing to do with a race strategy

Fartlek is absolutely for a long run. One way is called a structured run. It's 2,3,4,4,3,2 which means 2:30 fast, 2:30 easy, 3:00 minutes fast, 2:30 easy, 4:00 minutes fast, 2:30 easy and so on. But you don't have to do it at that pace, you do what's comfortable for you. If you want to run for 6 minutes and then walk for 2, you can do that. Trust me, I've learned a lot from 2 people who have won the Manitoba marathon here in Winnipeg, giving me tips when I first started running about fartlek runs and I think they know what they're talking about when they advise beginners to start off that way. Good luck on your run kirkman.