Protein Powder Reccomendations

Options
Hey everybody! I'm looking for recommendations for protein powder. The first one I used was the store brand for the vitamin shoppe in chocolate flavour. It was ok but way too sweet. I then tried out the isopure whey flavorless but that stuff left with me an awful rot-gut feeling. Any suggestions for protein powders to use/stay away from?

Replies

• Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I like phd diet whey
  • francesgenao
    francesgenao Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    what do you put the protein powder in?
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I use Body tech - Whey Tech Pro 24. It comes in different flavors. The chocolate one is good. I have vanilla too and it is ok. I put it either in smoothies for breakfast or just water for a nice after work out drink.
  • bluecheesesticks
    bluecheesesticks Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love Orgain's Organic Plant-based protein powder! Chocolate and vanilla re both amazing! :) highly recommend.
  • NefariousDrR
    NefariousDrR Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @francesgenao I usually just dissolve the protein powder in some almond milk but I have also tried it with OJ and grape juice.
  • NefariousDrR
    Options
    @Hippychick5983 that's the first one I used (I couldn't remember the name of it until you posted it-thanks!)! It digested well and the chocolate was but the sweetness of it was a bit too much for me.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ON (Optimum Nutrition) is pretty decent for the price but if you don't mind spending a little more, I've found Trutein is really great quality protein powder. They have a lot of tasty flavors to choose from :bigsmile: And because of the quality, it's a really great powder to bake with.

Trutein also has this protein pudding called Magic Pudding. The chocolate tastes just like the kind you make from the box. I think their vanilla, though, is much better (and I tend to be a chocoholic!) :laugh:
  • lalaokoro
    lalaokoro Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like bsn lean dessert whipped vanilla...it's sooo good!!
  • TheSurge0n
    TheSurge0n Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% gold standard whey protein- chocolate flavor is good.
    I have been using this one
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I know very little about whey protein powders, but personally prefer the taste of Body Fortress for both chocolate and vanilla. The chocolate is about the most decent I've tried when putting in straight water. I like the chocolate for my choc / banana / PB smoothies and the vanilla for smoothies with NF plain yogurt, berries and spinach.

Now, I wait for the person who knows that Body Fortress gives you cancer and eats your muscles at the same time...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I know very little about whey protein powders, but personally prefer the taste of Body Fortress for both chocolate and vanilla. The chocolate is about the most decent I've tried when putting in straight water. I like the chocolate for my choc / banana / PB smoothies and the vanilla for smoothies with NF plain yogurt, berries and spinach.

Now, I wait for the person who knows that Body Fortress gives you cancer and eats your muscles at the same time...

Haven't heard that one, but did hear that they were named as one of the companies involved in the nitrogen spiking scams.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Trutein Lemon Cream Pie is good, but it's way too sweet. Optimum Nutrition whey flavors taste awful for the most part. Stay away from Whey sold in Walmart or Target. While cheap, they are likely laden with glycine and other superficial protein spikers.

Go with these, I have experience with each...

-BPI Whey HD Banana Marshmallow Pie
    -Controlled Labs PROnom Vanilla or Chocolate Cupcake Batter
    -XF Ultra Peptide 2.0 (any flavor is good)
    -PES Select Snickerdoodle
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest, I have yet to try a protein powder better tasting than Quest (especially their Vanilla Milkshake flavor). MusclePharm Combat powders are pretty good, too, but I always choose Quest if I can help it!
  • shellyamundson
    shellyamundson Posts: 13 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I use EAS Complete Protein Shake - 25g protein per 150 calorie serving.
    My two favorite recipes -
    BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE: 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 3 cubes of frozen light greek yogurt, 1/2 cup frozen fruit (strawberries, banana, dark sweet cherries), 1 scoop protein powder. Blend in magic bullet and drink on the way to work. 185 calories.
    AFTER WORKOUT SMOOTHIE: 1 cup ice cubes, 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 2 scoops protein powder, 1 T. PBfit or PB2 powder, 1t. cocoa powder. Blend in magic bullet and enjoy! 207 Calories
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I like the muscle pharm cinnamon bun but I hate their peanut butter chocolate. I like Cellucor peanut butter marshmallow. My favorite is the BPI Sports granola bar, and their caramel vanilla is not bad. I also hate GNC Vanilla, blends bad.
  • sbtnicky
    sbtnicky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like this one purely because it tastes like drinking a malted milkshake: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GP0NSI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The vanilla ice cream flavour is pretty awesome too. I honestly know nothing at all about protein powders in general though. I go entirely based on whether or not I can drink them without gagging. (I'm easily put off by certain textures so that's harder than it sounds.)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Protein World if you don't like sweet. The slender blend is particularly sweet.
    I prefer Solgar whey for smoothies. It's much less sweet.
  • NefariousDrR
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @sbtnicky oooh! I love malted milkshakes! I know how you feel about gagging, that's how the isopure made me feel. Dry-heaving on my way to work is not how I want to spend my commute :(