What to do when you absolutely dread exercising?

Options
I have never liked sports. I played softball for years and hated it. In my opinion sports, walks, bike rides, etc. are boring. I really do want to exercise I just don't enjoy it. What do i do to get motivated to want to exercise?

Replies

• PilatesConvert
    PilatesConvert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Exercise can be any movement. Do you like dancing? Window shopping? Gardening? Swimming? Anything that gets you off the couch and moving around is a great start.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    You are extremely limiting yourself. You can do anything to workout. Look up HIIT; I doubt you will find that boring.
  • psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    Options
    I like to listen to something interesting when I'm walking. Can you get audio books, or a good radio show/podcast for your mp3 player? If you're interested in the story and won't let yourself listen unless you're active, you may find yourself looking forward to a 2-hr walk! Audiobooks can be expensive, so I borrow the CDs from my local library, rip them, and transfer the files to my mp3 player.
  • AngelChini
    AngelChini Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get bored when I am working out, but when I put on some music I get so energetic its really really REALLY unbelievable!
    Also dancing is extremely fun! You CAN'T get bored of dancing aha. Buy some dancing video games! I play Just Dance and I go on for hours without even realizing it!! Hope I helped! Good luck!!(:
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, when I don't feel like working out, I trick myself. I'll make a mini goal of just doing 10 minutes and then when I hit that mark, I see if I can push myself longer. It's rare for me not to get in at least 20 minutes.

There are a lot of 20 - 30 minute dvds out there. Today I did a Jessica Smith upper body routine. Monday I did a Jackie Warner xtreme 30 minute workout (I love her workout - my heart rate gets way up there (more so than with JM) and I don't have to do burpees or jumping jacks).

I try all kinds of workouts as I'm easily bored. I'll go from doing Gold's gym boxing on the Wii, to doing Cindy Whitmarsh's better body in 10 days. Yesterday I did a 40 minute dance dvd (20 minutes of Latin, 20 minutes of hip hop). That's rare for me, but I didn't feel like doing HIIT.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I love working out- I get so excited thinking about it- it's silly.

There are literally SO many variations of ways to workout- you need to find something you LIKE.

Rock Climbing?
    Dancing?
    sprints/running
    HIIT
    Bootcamp
    Kick Boxing
    MMA style training
    spin class
    fencing?
    pure strength training
    power lifting (ZOMG SO FUN!!!)

almost any of those will get you moving- no reason to hate your workout at all
  • eyespy45
    eyespy45 Posts: 4
    Options
    you have to find your "thing".

Everybody has one..and branch out from there...try things that you never tried before.

I run, machines...bootcamp..but now I added Zumba and Yoga.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have never liked sports. I played softball for years and hated it. In my opinion sports, walks, bike rides, etc. are boring. I really do want to exercise I just don't enjoy it. What do i do to get motivated to want to exercise?

Those aren't the only options. Find something you like. The options are endless.
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it but I started forcing myself to do it and now I love it. Once you see results and progress in your health you feel better and look forward to it. I like the feeling I get after a good workout so I look forward to that. The key is finding a workout you enjoy. I think dancing is really fun, you could try Zumba at home if a class makes you nervous but I think getting some of your friends to go would be even more fun.
  • djk721
    djk721 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I recommend trying different things. Any exercise is better than nothing. If you don't have a video game, just put some music on and DANCE around! Mow your yard with a push mower! Wipe down all the woodwork in your house! Its summertime--find a swimming pool and just move around in the water!
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    As soon as you wake up, get home, etc throw on cute gym clothes or something that makes you feel pumped about a work out, then make a pre workout and get out of the house. once you are in the gym you will be motivated but sitting home you wont.
  • IrritatedDoro
    IrritatedDoro Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I understand to a limited extent although I don't mind exercising. But, sometimes it feels purposeless. When I was younger, I would walk a couple miles to and from work even though I had a car. It didn't really feel like exercise because there was a purpose behind the walk, but guess what? It was a good way to get in more than an hour worth of exercise on the days I worked.

People do this by parking further away than they need to when going places, taking the steps, etc. Perhaps if it wasn't a means in and of itself, but served another purpose as well.

I once lost 13 pounds over the course of a month collecting boxes and boxes of newspapers and taking them to a drop off point so they could be made into blown in insulation for low income folks. Lifting 50 or so boxes full of newspaper into and then out of my car each day got me some weight training, but it had a greater purpose, which was what I was responding to. With that said, there are probably similar options (Habitat for Humanity, bundling/delivering food to seniors, park or botanical garden, etc.) that will get you moving, but may serve a purpose that you are more into.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    go and play at the playground... its fun, its exercise n the kids don't know how to use them properly anyway. just don't give up searching for something you enjoy
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Something I did to get me to move more was to view it as a challenge.

When I bought my JM 30DS, I could barely get through the warmup. I don't enjoy doing it (yet), but I did see it as a personal challenge. There was no way that 22 minutes of activity was going to defeat me. I can get through level one now, and am working on level 2.

It's all in how you look at it.
  • silenthunder
    silenthunder Posts: 12 Member
    Options

what do you like? i could tell you all the things i can think of but I think the easiest way to figure this out is to FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU LIKE first and then try to match up something 'physical' to it.

I like listening to comedy. I listen to comedy when I do cardio or go for a walk.

Eventually after a little while of this I can do the cardio on its own without the comedy if I really feel like it. But if you are like me (pray to god you aren't :) then part of this may be just that you're not in the habit of exercising.

I fight with myself to put in 20 minutes a day of exercise. I always feel sooo much better afterwards and yet I can guarantee that fight with myself is coming before I workout today :) something that makes it easier is saying - I'm gonna listen to 40 minutes of Richard Pryor while I hike.

just my 2cents
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    There are days where I also feel completely unmotivated.. but then I make myself work out because I know it is worth it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Make exercise a small goal that you are accountable for...... example goal: 10 minutes 3 times a week. Make it accountable by putting smiley stickers on a calendar. You will eventually like and/or accept it. Keep on increasing your goal.

Re: like and/or accept ...... is strength training my favorite thing? Unfortunately not. I love cardio, can do it everyday of the week. It's a trade off..... I do cardio I love and accept that I HAVE to do strength training.

To find what you love & what you will accept ..... KEEP looking. I got a Netflix (by mail) subscription just for workout DVDs.... they have hundreds. After each one (I did a mini critique) ..... I figured out what I love .... and found strength training ..... that is better than most (for me anyway). One instructor I loathed .... and the next was encouraging ....... you need to find what fits you.

Your local library will have DVDs as well.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Dont bother. Just eat less.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I do not agree with that at all. Healthy is more than just being a certain weight.

I've known many people who thought they hated exercise, but once they actually get into the habit they love it. Plus as others have said there are so many ways to get exercise. Just do something that gets you moving.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I do not agree with that at all. Healthy is more than just being a certain weight.

I've known many people who thought they hated exercise, but once they actually get into the habit they love it. Plus as others have said there are so many ways to get exercise. Just do something that gets you moving.

So true!

Also, when you lose weight the (new) smaller you requires fewer calories...... maintainance would be a huge pain in the a** without added activity.

And ..... without exercise you are much more likely to lose muscle mass. I don't want to be a smaller version of the current "jiggly" me.