Women's Clothing Sizes

Options

Replies

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about juniors sizes or women's clothing sizes?

Juniors sizes 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 are cut with wider waists and narrower hips. Women's sizes 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 are cut with wider hips and narrower waists. I would wear a Juniors 13 but a women's 8 in most brands.

I was talking about both. Heavier I was fitting in juniors better for some reason. Now that i've dropped weight womens' sizing fits me better. Which didn't make sense to me because i though women's would have more room for curves? But maybe it's the kind of jeans i'm buying.

For the longest period of time i fit in size 11 or 13 juniors and then 12- 14 women's, but the women's were never flattering.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    it sort of makes me sad the sizes are so wacked. I wanted to be all happy once i reached a size 6 and now i can't be. B-astards.
  • andreamulhall
    andreamulhall Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've lost 19 pound and I still havnt lost a size
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've lost 19 pound and I still havnt lost a size

I think it took me 20 pounds to go down one size (16w/18 down to regular size 16.) In the last 10 pounds (158-148) I've gone from 12 to 6 (and fit all of those sizes depending on the piece of clothing.)
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yep. At about 145 in high school I was wearing 14s. Today at 170 I can wear a 10, but only in one shop. In another shop I'm still in a 14. It makes no rational sense.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    @MoiAussi93. So true! Many years ago, I sewed in a factory. I remember noticing the size charts. Also..some of the clothes got a size 12 label and some, maybe a 14, depending on the brand name...even if they were from the exact 'lot' of clothes.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It took me about 25 pounds to go from a 22 to a 20. Now it's about every 10 pounds (lost 60 so far). I just started wearing 14s last month and am hovering between L and XL in tops.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    They vary by brand. Vanity sizing has gone rampant. And yes, there's less difference between the smaller sizes than there is between the larger sizes.

Just buy whatever fits and don't worry too much about what it says on the label.

That.

I was a XL shirt and 18 jean when I started. I'm down 45ish pounds and am in a M shirt and a 12 jean. I just bought a bunch of 12 stuff but lost a few pounds the last few weeks and they are already starting to feel baggy :( I mean :) but my wallet says :(

Your build is going to effect things a lot. And brands can range like crazy. Don't pay attention to the tag #'s. But it CAN make shopping a pain in the rear.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Clothing manufacturers each have their own sizing specs...there is no standard sizing, except for shoes. And they've been making clothing bigger, but labeling it a smaller size, because women don't like to buy large sizes. Don't get hung up on a number!
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Sizing depends on where you shop. For some reason, clothing sizes vary to an incredible level - it is awful!

I'm 5'8, 129 lbs, and my smallest clothing item is an XXS. My largest is a sweater I got at a plus size store - 1XL. It's oversized and slouchy on me and I love that look.

What does this mean? Don't pay attention to the number - pay attention to how it fits you. And when it doubt, always go bigger. If you're between sizes - let's say you need one size for your legs but the waist is too big, tailor it in for a perfect fit.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Clothing sizes are a mess. So many items have stretch so they practically fit anyone. Waist sizes have expanded on women so it is hard to find anything that is fitted anymore. Lots of items just look like a sack on me.

I have pretty good luck with vintage shopping.

• veganbettie
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    They vary by brand. Vanity sizing has gone rampant. And yes, there's less difference between the smaller sizes than there is between the larger sizes.

Just buy whatever fits and don't worry too much about what it says on the label.

That.

I was a XL shirt and 18 jean when I started. I'm down 45ish pounds and am in a M shirt and a 12 jean. I just bought a bunch of 12 stuff but lost a few pounds the last few weeks and they are already starting to feel baggy :( I mean :) but my wallet says :(

Your build is going to effect things a lot. And brands can range like crazy. Don't pay attention to the tag #'s. But it CAN make shopping a pain in the rear.

I want to be so happy that i'm losing weight and needing new clothes, but i am SO cheap. I have barely anything to wear, i'm getting frustrated. But, better this than crying on my bed in a pile of clothes because nothing fits because i've gained weight. been there, don't want to go back.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Go to Goodwill or another thrift store for a few " interim" pieces. You feel so much better when you wear clothes that fit and show off your smaller shape.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    ours don't really have a way to try the clothes on, and furthermore, their jeans, are like 10 bucks now! what's up with that?! It's a freaking thrift store, i can get a pair of new jeans at Ross for that amount!

**see....my cheap side is showing.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have pants in sizes 0-5 that all fit my butt exactly the same. I have XS and M hanging in my closet and they all fit the same. No standards whatsoever, and even individual brands morph their sizes. I once walked in to Old Navy wearing a 4-year-old pair of size 4 shorts of theirs and wound up having to buy 0s of their same brand. Blah.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    so annoying. THERE SHOULD BE RULES PEOPLE!!!!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    There's no consistency in clothing sizes. Even in the same brand and style, two items can fit differently.

This was taken a couple years ago, on the same day, in clothing sized two to ten.

size_zps24f90592.jpg
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ugh clothing shopping. I'm a different size at different stores. One thing that bothers me the most is I can't find a pair of fitted pants like jeans to fit without a big gaping waste. The difference between my hips and waist is 15 inches. I have yet to find a brand that tailors to girls with curves, it's this damn protruding booty! Please lemme know if you know of any brands!
    Sorry off topic :p
  • Lukyanenko
    Lukyanenko Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @jessica22222 I have much the same problem, and for me the solution have been jeans with high waist. Those are hit and miss as well,but generally I find more that fits me then not.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    I have the same issue @jessica22222 my hips to waist ratio is about 15...