Not enjoying my workouts anymore

Options
I am really struggling with motivation to work out at the moment. I have been doing t25 for 17 weeks now and running since feb but I am just not enjoying it right now. I was loving my workouts but now I am either forcing myself and hating every moment or bunking off which is what I am doing with tonight run. Any advice greatly appreciated

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Find something else you do like - do that.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    It's possible you need a change of activity; it's also possible you've been pushing really hard. How much running are you doing on top of T25? Workout ennui can be one of the first signs you're overdoing it and need a break. Not even a long one. Just enough time off or time easy to make you hungry like the wolf again. :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Yah change it up. I know it can be tough especially when you find some staples that get you that good calorie burn, but maybe check online for some dance or zumba type workouts, something to just have a little fun with? Or maybe kickboxing or pilates or barre? When I was burnt out on my DVDs I spent a day poring through youtube videos and adding everything that looked interesting to my Favorites list (old SmartTV only has Favorites available lol). Then I just went through them one by one, and if I didn't like one I dropped it from my list.

Or, if you really like running but are just in a bad headspace, maybe the "Run,Zombies!" app would help? I've heard it's pretty fun.
  • katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    only running about 3k, 3 times a week. In the beginning the runs gave me the opportunity to get out the house and give me time to think but now its a chore. I have changed my route and my playlist. I'm coming to the end of t25 now so will be looking for something new but I really wanted to reach 5k. The last couple of runs have been tough and I've had to proper talk myself through it!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    @cheshirecatastrophe hit it on the nose. At least for me. I find a break makes me want to get back in the ring. Also it may be time to take on a new challenge.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I am really struggling with motivation to work out at the moment. I have been doing t25 for 17 weeks now and running since feb but I am just not enjoying it right now. I was loving my workouts but now I am either forcing myself and hating every moment or bunking off which is what I am doing with tonight run. Any advice greatly appreciated

Time for a change then. What sounds interesting? Do not try to find things similar to what you are doing, do not set limits to what you are doing, just focus on what sounds fun.
  • leanne0605
    leanne0605 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I agree. It sounds like you need a change. I recently experienced this same feeling. Ended up taking a week and a half off from exercise. I found something different and I am back on track.
  • katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Some really good advice there. Thank you all. I think I'll take a break and reassess where I want to go. Maybe look at some races so I have something to aim for
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Find something else. The possibilities are enormous!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    only running about 3k, 3 times a week. In the beginning the runs gave me the opportunity to get out the house and give me time to think but now its a chore. I have changed my route and my playlist. I'm coming to the end of t25 now so will be looking for something new but I really wanted to reach 5k. The last couple of runs have been tough and I've had to proper talk myself through it!

are you running just to run? maybe sign up for a race and give your running more purpose. other than that, doing the same stuff all of the time can get boring...it helps to have a variety of activities you enjoy. I primarily cycle for my cardio, but I also hike, do a bit of swimming, walk my dog, and run a little. As much as I enjoy riding, if it was all I did week in and week out, I'd be pretty bored.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @katalinax87 I find mixing up my running place is... mandatory. If I did the same route all the time I would go crazy. Some days I drive to a forested park; other days I run at the off-leash dog park (2km loop), and doggy of course loves that. As my mileage increased I now run rather than drive to the off-lease dog park and make it a nice 10km with a break for the dog in the middle. Even when just heading out the door there are four directions I can go - choose hilly one day, flat the next.

Another option worth exploring -- Have you considered finding a running buddy? Are there any running shops or community centres in your area where you can inquire about running groups? Running can be a very social activity - the time passes far more quickly while chatting with someone. Groups often have good leaders and advice galore, and having a regular group schedule makes it much easier to stick to it.