Anyone on "The Wild Diet"

Options
13»

Replies

• Syleyna
    Syleyna Posts: 86 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @katyamendoim Water and electrolytes. So supplement salt, potassium and magnesium. Lite-salt or something similar will be fine for the first 2, I find 1/4 teaspoon works fine (plus liberally salt all your meals). Magnesium you can get in a capsule, or you can drink it along with your potassium. Epsom Salts in a foot soak or a bath provide magnesium- it is absorbed through the skin. Lots of minimally expensive ways to combat the LC-flu.
    Personally I also find it doesn't matter when I drink it, but being keto I have my 'electrolyte drink' daily.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    briteyes wrote: »
    Define "fad" diet. I've been following a "diet" for a year now made up of high fat and low carbs. I cut out the grains and sugars, I eat a ton of avocados, bacon, coconut oil, full fat dairy, and vegetables. I've lost 20 lbs and I have kept it off. Never do I feel like I'm on a diet. This is a lifestyle change. Not only that, but I train in jiu jitsu and compete, and I have become fully fat adapted, not needing glucose to fuel my workouts. I take cues for my diet from the Wild Diet, Paleo, and Keto diets. I don't count calories, and most of the time I don't even log what I eat. I just follow the guidelines and the fat has miraculously melted away and my muscles show through. For the first time ever, I'm able to do pullups and even clapping pushups! I never get sick, my skin is clear and glows - I am reversing the aging process, as I'm 36 and look younger than I did a year ago. I will follow the lchf diet for life. I still enjoy an occasional indulgence of foods from my past, but typically I do not like how they make me feel (sick and broken), so those foods are slowly becoming unenjoyable.

My definition of a fad diet is one that is trendy and is not something that can be sustained. For me, calorie counting is a fad diet. I tried it for years - thinking that it was working. Years of eating 1200 calories a day and working out, kept me fat and unhealthy.... and I felt like I was always starving. Counting calories was all consuming and I felt like a slave to my food diary.... but hey... to each his own....

It's called "The Wild Diet". It's a fad. The name definitely defines the term, "fad".

Counting calories is not a fad nor a diet. Eating 1200 calories is pretty lame. Only mostly unknowledgable people do that. You can eat more than that and lose.

Good luck with your fad diet.

Thanks, Although Luck is not needed when over a year later it's still working for me and I'm happy, healthy and full!

Peace out. This community still sucks.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Define "fad" diet. I've been following a "diet" for a year now made up of high fat and low carbs. I cut out the grains and sugars, I eat a ton of avocados, bacon, coconut oil, full fat dairy, and vegetables. I've lost 20 lbs and I have kept it off. Never do I feel like I'm on a diet. This is a lifestyle change. Not only that, but I train in jiu jitsu and compete, and I have become fully fat adapted, not needing glucose to fuel my workouts. I take cues for my diet from the Wild Diet, Paleo, and Keto diets. I don't count calories, and most of the time I don't even log what I eat. I just follow the guidelines and the fat has miraculously melted away and my muscles show through. For the first time ever, I'm able to do pullups and even clapping pushups! I never get sick, my skin is clear and glows - I am reversing the aging process, as I'm 36 and look younger than I did a year ago. I will follow the lchf diet for life. I still enjoy an occasional indulgence of foods from my past, but typically I do not like how they make me feel (sick and broken), so those foods are slowly becoming unenjoyable.

My definition of a fad diet is one that is trendy and is not something that can be sustained. For me, calorie counting is a fad diet. I tried it for years - thinking that it was working. Years of eating 1200 calories a day and working out, kept me fat and unhealthy.... and I felt like I was always starving. Counting calories was all consuming and I felt like a slave to my food diary.... but hey... to each his own....

It's called "The Wild Diet". It's a fad. The name definitely defines the term, "fad".

Counting calories is not a fad nor a diet. Eating 1200 calories is pretty lame. Only mostly unknowledgable people do that. You can eat more than that and lose.

Thanks, Although Luck is not needed when over a year later it's still working for me and I'm happy, healthy and full!

No, this community doesn't suck. You're making fanciful claims (not to mention ambiguous: "I cut out the grains and sugars" - meaning ??) and coming off as sounding very holier-than-thou. If you think the community is judgmental, I would ask: who's judging who?

You've "miraculously melted away fat" and you're "reversing the aging process" - I mean, great for your success and that you love your eating plan, but simply because other folks don't find it as magical as you do doesn't mean the community sucks.

• briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

No, this community doesn't suck. You're making fanciful claims (not to mention ambiguous: "I cut out the grains and sugars" - meaning ??) and coming off as sounding very holier-than-thou. If you think the community is judgmental, I would ask: who's judging who?

You've "miraculously melted away fat" and you're "reversing the aging process" - I mean, great for your success and that you love your eating plan, but simply because other folks don't find it as magical as you do doesn't mean the community sucks.

Not holier than though. Just excited that I FINALLY found a "diet" that works for me. After 20 years of "dieting" and never reaching my goals because counting calories was too restrictive/limiting and didn't really teach me the right way to eat. I had all but given up when I learned about high fat/low carb and finally decided to cut the sugar/grains (what is there to tell on that - I don't eat them) and I focus on eating the other amazing foods that taste delicious. My appetite is naturally suppressed because I'm not craving sugar anymore. I tell everyone I know to try this "diet" because I believe in it. That's it. But anytime I've ever came on this community (been here for a while) and try to talk about any form of diet other than just counting/limiting calories, I get shot down, as if I'm doing something horrible. People need to open their minds a little. I'm not against counting calories - sometimes I do count calories for various reasons, but to lose the majority of my fat, I did not have to and I love that because I HATE counting calories. I understand that a lot of people want to do it that way - that's great for them. But for me, counting calories sucks, it takes a ton of time, and I feel enslaved to the calorie count whenever I do. I couldn't imagine counting calories for the rest of my life. That is just me. I'm sorry if I came off as holier than though...LOL (if you only knew me... I just like to help people). I just think my diet is awesome, that's all. Have you ever heard of N=1? Essentially, everyone has to do the diet that works for them. This is a thread about the Wild Diet. So yes, I'm pushing it because I think it's great! The reason I stopped participating in this community is the exact reason why I will probably make this my last post for good - because people are so closed minded. I sit back and read so many rude/hateful comments on posts all day long - anytime somebody strays from the basic "count calories" approach... anytime someone wants to try something new there's NO SUPPORT! When I finally lost the weight I tried to lose for so long by using MFP community as support, It WAS NOT here. I left and just did it on my own without anybody supporting me. That's all. I don't get the support I need. Obviously this place isn't my style. I'm ok with that. I just though I'd post on here because it was a topic near and dear to my heart, but then I get a little heated when I see unsupportive comments to the OP like "just another fad diet". If you can't post something helpful, then why post? It's not unhealthy and it's not detrimental.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Well, @briteyes I understand being excited about something that's working for you. Excitement & enthusiasm are great. But you do realize this is a calorie counting website?

You mention not finding adequate support here. But "support" is very subjective; some feel that support means unquestioning endorsement, others believe support comes from critical review and challenging things.

I realize this is a thread about The Wild Diet. MFP isn't very supportive of diets that have "titles" and people are going to come out and say so in any thread that promotes or questions them. There will always be many viewpoints and dissenting opinions on public forums - in my opinion, that's what makes them interesting. I've learned a lot here. The diet industry is a cacophony of conflicting information (much of it false) and MFP has helped me to sort it out. Calorie counting works to take weight off and keep it off, plain and simple.