lacking protein

Options
Lola2248
Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
I struggle to get protein in my diet.

I don't eat red meat. Eggs give me migraines.

My diet seems to be around 18% protein a day. Would protein shake be beneficial? I shy away from them due to calories but maybe I should factor them in?

Confused

Replies

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Try high protein nuts or yogurt.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I dont eat red eat but am able to get 140 grams a day on average. i do eat eggs (egg whites in a sandwhich in the mornings) i use one scoop of protien a day mixed in my oatmeal. i love fish, chicken, turkey and eat those daily as well. the rest add up from the tons of veggies i eat everyday.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    WPI is nearly all protein - not sure why you'd be afraid of the calories, as all food has calories..it can't be nothing! Adding protein powder to shakes or food (yoghurt, cottage cheese etc) is an easy way to get more protein if you don't want to eat more
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    oh and there really isnt a lot of calories in a protien shake, it what you add to the protien that adds up. mine is usually just vanilla whey protien and water (110 calories)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Seafood seems to have the highest concentration of protein for the lowest number of calories, plus it's super tasty, and some, like talapia and flounder, tend to be fairly inexpensive.

Chicken tenderloins are also fairly concentrated protein, and you usually end up with less fat than on the full breast, and it's often cheaper, plus the size is so convenient. It cooks fast and is easy to portion out into servings than large chicken breasts.

Ground white turkey is good good for anything you would normally use ground beef in, like burgers, shepherd's pie, meatballs, chili, whatever.

Many pork cuts have very little fat, so they end up high in protein and low in calories. Plus the larger cuts are great for roasting once and eating for several days.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is the equivalent of throwing chicken in the blender. It doesn't do anything for you that an additional chicken breast wouldn't do -- it won't make you bulky or anything crazy like that -- so if it helps you reach your goals, awesome. There's a giant range in terms of taste, calories, % of protein, etc., so try a few different powders to see if you can find one you like.
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    dry cottage cheese is 22g per 1/2 cup and only 110 calories. If you don't mind artificial sweeteners Costco sells a Premier Protein drink that's 30g @ 160 calories. Real/Canned salmon is another great source since it also has some good amount of the good fats included. If you like Sushi, Tuna as well. Personally I don't like cooked tuna.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Protein powder is the equivalent of throwing chicken in the blender. It doesn't do anything for you that an additional chicken breast wouldn't do -- it won't make you bulky or anything crazy like that -- so if it helps you reach your goals, awesome. There's a giant range in terms of taste, calories, % of protein, etc., so try a few different powders to see if you can find one you like.

The difference for me is that it's often easier to whip up a shake than it is to cook, plus the shake is in delicious dessert flavors so I feel like I'm having a treat, whereas the chicken, as good as it is, doesn't satisfy quite the same itch.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think whey protein is a great idea if you are having trouble. I try and include protein in every meal, every snack. Then I don't have trouble getting it in. Do you like fish like tuna? I like all of @dawnna76 's suggestions. How about legumes?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I eat red meat only on occasion. But I eat a lot of chicken...it has plenty of protein. Dairy also has a lot of protein, especially greek yogurt and cottage cheese.

Protein shakes don't need to have a lot of calories. Just get one with no added sugar and be very selective about what you mix it with. I use an unflavored whey protein on occasion and 20 grams of protein is only 88 calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Mine actually is better for protein...I add it to a fruit smoothie in the morning. Sugar free whey protein powder.

Seafood is good too...shrimp is great I had it tonight.

chicken, salmon, greek yogurt
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

The difference for me is that it's often easier to whip up a shake than it is to cook, plus the shake is in delicious dessert flavors so I feel like I'm having a treat, whereas the chicken, as good as it is, doesn't satisfy quite the same itch.
    I totally agree with you -- I've been buying unflavored powder and mixing it with milk so I can have cookies and milk before bed :smile: I just meant that it's not really anything other than a protein source that you drink instead of chew. People get so weird about "is it okay for me to add a shake?", but you'd never see anyone worrying about "is it okay for me to add a chicken breast?" Sure, if it fits, go for it.

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Lola2248 wrote: »
    I struggle to get protein in my diet.

I don't eat red meat. Eggs give me migraines.

My diet seems to be around 18% protein a day. Would protein shake be beneficial? I shy away from them due to calories but maybe I should factor them in?

Confused

It's unnecessary to avoid meat, or red meat... Unless you have a very specific medical condition. Eggs per se, most likely don't give you migraines.

Don't go by ratios or recommended percentages. There is a scientific target protein and dietary fat range, unique to you. Research.

Protein shakes are fine. But they are a convenience food. They are also a processed food. Do not rely on more than 10-20% total processed foods for your daily diet.

Also, most protein shakes in water average at our 150 calories per 30 g protein... Not exactly a meal replacement.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm on day two of being intentional about my macros, especially my protein intake. I do eat red meat and eggs, but couple other things I've found so far-cottage cheese and Greek yogurt (Greek has more protein than regular yogurt for some reason). I opened my diary today-feel free to take a peek and see what I've been eating to get my protein over 100g a day. Again, I've only done this for two days so far, but both days I've hit my protein target, go me :p

eta: both days I've eaten regular yogurt, because I didn't need the extra protein from Greek, but it's in my fridge waiting to go :) I went to the store yesterday and realized how many different varieties of yogurt there actually are-kind of fun to try all the new to me ones! Regular yogurt is a solid protein source too, so if you like it you could start eating a serving a day to get your protein up a bit.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    double post
  • johnbowman22
    johnbowman22 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Maybe try an isolated protein powder,it has less carbs and calories
  • Lola2248
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    It's unnecessary to avoid meat, or red meat... Unless you have a very specific medical condition. Eggs per se, most likely don't give you migraines.

Don't go by ratios or recommended percentages. There is a scientific target protein and dietary fat range, unique to you. Research.

Eggs, bananas and yoghurt are all migraine triggers, especially for me.
    I chose not to eat red meat, but forec down white meat and fish.
    I get my % from MFP.
  • Lola2248
    Options
    I'm on day two of being intentional about my macros, especially my protein intake. I do eat red meat and eggs, but couple other things I've found so far-cottage cheese and Greek yogurt (Greek has more protein than regular yogurt for some reason). I opened my diary today-feel free to take a peek and see what I've been eating to get my protein over 100g a day. Again, I've only done this for two days so far, but both days I've hit my protein target, go me :p

eta: both days I've eaten regular yogurt, because I didn't need the extra protein from Greek, but it's in my fridge waiting to go :) I went to the store yesterday and realized how many different varieties of yogurt there actually are-kind of fun to try all the new to me ones! Regular yogurt is a solid protein source too, so if you like it you could start eating a serving a day to get your protein up a bit.

Ooh I will take a look. Thanks!

• DanPonting
    DanPonting Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A rule of thumb would be to eat 1g per lb of bodyweight.

Lean meats like chicken breast, and white fish, are high in protein, and have negligible amounts of carbs or fats in them, which makes them an ideal source of protein that's kind on your overall calorie intake.

Red meat won't kill you. Steak and chicken are the two protein sources that contain the highest amounts of an amino acid called leucine. Leucine is paramount if you want to optimise muscle protein synthesis, which is necessary for repair.