17.5 lb gain in 12 weeks and what I've learned

Options
This is my second update. I just finished my 12th week of bulking. My calorie intake started at 4000 but I just recently had to bump up to 4500.
I've learned a lot from this process. I think the most important lesson being that calories should be the first focus. If you want to gain, you need to eat more than you burn plain and simple. Once you get your calories down then try to focus on your macros.
Another lesson I've come to terms with is with bulking comes size not necessarily beauty. I've gotten bigger, and it's without a doubt amazing. But it's been such an even distribution of weight that I don't look as big as I thought. And certainly Ive gained fat. But you need to learn to be ok with that because with bulking comes size and fat, with cutting comes beauty.
I've become more disciplined. In order to hit goals everyday I pretty much can't waste a minute. But it's so rewarding that I'm addicted to it. That being said I want to encourage everyone trying to bulk to stay motivated and persistent it DOES PAY OFF!

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    the GAINZ

no pix tho wtf
  • winneyj
    winneyj Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @draznyth I'll try to put some up! I'm slackin on the profile
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    winneyj wrote: »
    This is my second update. I just finished my 12th week of bulking. My calorie intake started at 4000 but I just recently had to bump up to 4500.
    I've learned a lot from this process. I think the most important lesson being that calories should be the first focus. If you want to gain, you need to eat more than you burn plain and simple. Once you get your calories down then try to focus on your macros.
    Another lesson I've come to terms with is with bulking comes size not necessarily beauty. I've gotten bigger, and it's without a doubt amazing. But it's been such an even distribution of weight that I don't look as big as I thought. And certainly Ive gained fat. But you need to learn to be ok with that because with bulking comes size and fat, with cutting comes beauty.
    I've become more disciplined. In order to hit goals everyday I pretty much can't waste a minute. But it's so rewarding that I'm addicted to it. That being said I want to encourage everyone trying to bulk to stay motivated and persistent it DOES PAY OFF!

Great to read this. Thought I was the only crazy person on 4,000 calories. Thankfully I'm gaining on this. Can't imagine eating anymore though. Like you, I became ok with the BF increasing along with the muscle because there really isn't anyway around it.
  • emmalous82
    emmalous82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm female, lost quite a lot of fat in the last 18 months and now down to 120lb and want to gain muscle, I'm petrified of putting weight back on cause it's took me so long to do it in a slow and healthy way! I've started weight training and I'm now eating 2000 cals a day, do I need to eat more? I'm eating high protein balanced carbs and fats. Any advice would be great thanks
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    emmalous82 wrote: »
    Hi I'm female, lost quite a lot of fat in the last 18 months and now down to 120lb and want to gain muscle, I'm petrified of putting weight back on cause it's took me so long to do it in a slow and healthy way! I've started weight training and I'm now eating 2000 cals a day, do I need to eat more? I'm eating high protein balanced carbs and fats. Any advice would be great thanks
    Hi what are your stAts? I am 5"2 105 lbs. looking to bulk to 115-120lbs. I lost 30kg last year... I keep telling myself to eat 2000 cals. But when I get near there , I get scared and eat 1700 - 1800. I understand how torturous it's for you... But I've decided to be committed to it, if not , my female hormones will not be restored
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    emmalous82 wrote: »

Try it for a while.

Your goal should be to gain half a pound a week, as women really can only gain a quarter of a pound of muscle per week at the most, and the rest of the gain is unavoidable fat gain. You'll probably find you won't really want to cut that much fat at the end anyway coz it will sit better.

Make sure you're doing a good progressive routine of heavy lifting 3 x per week.

• texan2cu
    texan2cu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    4000 calories, wow! I'm trying to gain, but tough to get over 2500 cal/day, even with Boost and protein bars...I def need to add weight to my lifts, but am consistently hitting it 3x/week. Good info here, thanks!