Increasing running distance per week

Options
Seigla
Seigla Posts: 172 Member
I've read that if you want to increase your running distance it's good to increase your distance by 5-10% per week max. I had an injury (because of flat feet; now I have insoles which should solve the issue - so far they do their job well :smile:) and I want to be a bit careful. Until 8 months ago (when I got the injury - it took a lot of time until I discovered the source of the problem) I ran 40+ kilometers per week, which I have done for many months.

So, last week I ran 2 * 5 km and 1 * 5.5 km, so total of 15.5 km. This week I run 2 * 5.5 and 1 * 6 km, adding up to a total of 17 km, which is about 9% more than last week. The next week I'll do 18.5 in total, then 20, then 22, 24 and so forth - though I read that doing a week half or your distance to allow your muscles to rest is also good, so I'll probably do that. When I run more than 30 kilometers I'll start adding interval training to my routine as well.

And finally when I feel any bad pain I will take a few days rest even if that means doing less kilometers that week than I originally planned.

I post this, because I know there's a lot of knowledge and experience here in all of you and I really want to be careful to not let the injury come back again. So, what do you think of this plan? Is it gradual enough, or would you take it slower? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I like your plan and I'm in the same boat - getting back into running after an injury. I think the key, and you mentioned it, is to be flexible. I wouldn't limit doing less to only when you feel bad pain but would say just pay really close attention to how you feel. If anything feels out of whack,try taking a day off or doing a shorter workout. I started at only 3.2k and am adding about .4k every 5 runs or so (running every other day.

Good luck!
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I like your plan as well, it's also very gradual! Good point, listening to how you feel is very important. Luckily I do 3 sports, so I can decide to swim instead of running if I something feels out of whack.

Good luck too! :)
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Jaseph,

You are tracking. when coming back from an injury, my rule of thumb is to listen to your body. when it hurts, stop, determine if it is soreness or pain then continue accordingly.. dont get sucked into the " I used to run 40k a week, so I can go right back to it...
    My only suggestion is to not increase ALL your runs at the same time, so 2 short runs and a long run; the long run really isnt much longer then your short runs .. I would increase the distance on my long run maybe 2-3 times then bring up the shorter runs...so instead of going up .5 KMs in all you runs, take all or most of your increases in your long your long run..

so 5,5,5.5 kms would go to
    5,5,6.5(or 7 KM) then go to
    5,5,8.5 kms then
    5,5, 10kms then start to bring your short runs up
    6,6, 10kms, etc.....

Just a suggestion...