sugar intake

Options
I have been tracking using the app on and off for several months and have noticed that I cant seem to stay within the small amount of sugar allowance that I have. I eat mostly a whole food diet but go over the 35g a day usually with breakfast. For instance today, i had an apple with peanut butter for breakfast and it took up almost all of my allowance. By the time i had lunch of a baked potato with mushrooms, onion, and spinach i was well over my limit. You see that i am not eating a processed diet or adding sugar to anything. Should I just not worry about the sugars so that i can have fruit? What is with this anti-fruit level of sugar?

Replies

• dancerbyday
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it if it is natural sugar. I am a vegetarian, so I eat lots of fruit. Naturally, I am over my sugar allowance almost every single day, but I just ignore it because the surplus of sugar that I am getting from fruits and veggies is good for you. I agree that the sugar allowance is pretty anti-fruit, but they made it for people that are eating lots of processed foods, assuming that all or most of the sugar would be processed. They didn't count on smart cookies like us. ;)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that requires it there's probably no real reason to track sugar. It's just a form of carbohydrate and you're already tracking that.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yep as said above don't worry about natural sugar unless sugars are something you have to watch. I too, go over frequently, but it's the 2 pieces of fruit that shoot me over. If it's something like candy, honey, other a sundry goodies that's when I take notice.