Loose Skin & Tattoos After Weight-Loss

Options
I love tattoos. I only have one now, on my wrist, and never got more because I was so heavy and thought if I lost the weight my tattoos would look horrible... I have now lost over 130 pounds and am already thinking about treating myself to some new ink when I meet my next goal, but my skin is loose and saggy in many areas and I am afraid I will be too difficult to tattoo... I may have to wait until I am able to have some of the excess skin removed because I would think the tattoos would get distorted if I got them before the skin was off?

Has anyone else had significant weight-loss and gotten tattoos, or did you have tattoos and how did they look after losing the weight. Post photos if you can I love to see the ink!

Replies

• UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have 2 tattoos. I think it all depends on where you get them. I would assume you would not want to put them where there is a lot of excess skin. I have one "tramp stamp" and I have one on my right shoulder. Neither of these places were extremely fatty to begin with so there has not been any significant excess skin in those areas.

If you seriously want one now and you have a certain place in mind go talk to an artist and see what they think. They have seen the most, so can give you an honest answer. Once I lose all the weight I want to I want to get a dream catcher down my side.

Good Luck!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are considering surgery? You could wait until after surgery and get a kick *kitten* tattoo over the healed scars. thats what I plan on doing when I have to get the inevitable body lift.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will take a long time to save up since my insurance will not cover any of it, but eventually I will HAVE to get the excess skin removed because as it is now there's a lot. I thought the same thing, covering the scars with something but scar tissue isnt the easiest to tattoo over either I hear.

A dreamcatcher sounds nice! I want something on the back of my forearm and my married name on my rib cage eventually...
  • boltbecca
    boltbecca Posts: 4
    Options
    i've lost a little over 100lbs and I have tattoos circling my forearm, on my wrists, shoulder and lower back. I got the tattoos when i was big, they look the same as when I had them done (except for slight fading). It would be different if I had them placed where i had stretched skin, like anywhere on my stomach, upper arms.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    Glad to hear your amazing weight-loss hasn't effected your tattoos! I agree that placement is everything
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Placement definitely makes a difference.. anywhere that can change drastically with weight gain/loss may compromise the tattoo.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I love this topic even though I will not likely ever get a tattoo. I do think they are very cool on other people though. Like earrings.
  • truckdriverjeremy
    truckdriverjeremy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    have had a circular tattoo on my leg since 98, now its more oval.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    I love seeing some girls who have a lot of tattoos (minus the breast and face areas) but I personally dont think I could pull off too many
  • xetgx
    xetgx Posts: 1
    Options
    I am fairly heavily tattooed. One full sleeve, a nearly finished second sleeve, a large back piece, a bunch of leg pieces and one hand done. I got my first sleeve tattooed when I was 333lbs and lost about 140lbs after the arm was done. It still looks amazing and people tell me all the time they can't believe they look so good after losing so much weight.
    You may not want to hear this, but tattoo artists are extremely hesitant to tattoo me now that I have looser skin. They all tell me I should have gotten tattooed when I was still heavy. If you make friends with an artist and let them tattoo some easier spots first they will be more inclined to tattoo the more difficult spots later. If you are thinkif about getting any surgery done do that first. I wish I would have lost the weight, gotten surgery, and gotten tattooed.