Vegetarian meals under 350 calories?

Options
I have been doing the 1200 calorie diet for a while now, but have found that I have been eating a lot of processed foods (and salads which are boring and not filling). I want to start eating less processed foods and cooking more. I don't really have a lot of money to buy a bunch of different ingredients. Does anyone have any super easy vegetarian meal (specifically lunch or dinner) recipes for under 350 calories?

Replies

• AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Hi, I suggest you join a group like Happy Herbivores &/or MFP Vegetarians. This topic has been discussed before & you can search for threads lots of good recipes & ideas. I net about 1300 -1500 cals so I'm not sure if that will help you, but I'm vegetarian, I log every day and my diary is open. You can add me if you want.
  • purdynerdybirdy
    purdynerdybirdy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Tempeh, summer squash, mushrooms and zuchini tossed in sea salt, fresh pepper, parsley, a dash of garlic and 1 tbs coconut oil then oven roasted.

About 410 calories (you can reduce the oil to make it lower). It's filling, has a high fiber and protein content and healthy fats. It's my go to veggie meal.
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I made this yesterday to last the week for myself and my husband. I eat it as half my dinner, but it's pretty nutritious on its own. P.S. my diary is open and I put new recipes in the food notes on the first day I use them.

Tomato Swiss Chard Cannellini Bean Soup (vegan homemade):

Sautee 1 medium yellow onion in 1 Tbsp olive oil.
    Add 1 large can (32 oz) of crushed tomatoes with basil.
    Add 2- 15oz cans of cannellini beans.
    Add 1 container or 3.5 cups sausage style crumbles (I used Wegmans – Don’t Be Piggy).
    Add ½ vegetable bullion cube to 1 cup warm water and try to break up/dissolve the cube.
    Add the following spices to the water: ½ tsp sea salt, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp onion powder, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, and 1 Tbsp dried parsley.
    Add the water-spice mixture to the pot and also add 2 additional cups of water.
    Add 1 bunch Red Swiss Chard or 3 cups chopped (stems trimmed off) and simmer covered on medium-low for about 20 minutes.

Mine came out to be 12 cups, so I made it 8 servings at 1.5 cups each.
    Per serving: 220 calories, 28g carbs, 5g fat, 16g protein
  • bgh707
    bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sauteed kale, chickpeas, and feta cheese. Add some garlic powder, and you're good to go! Low carb too!
  • chollands29
    chollands29 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Not a recipe, but f or lunch I bring Amy's Kitchen Frozen indian food. They have a few different kinds all vegetarian and delicious! probably not as cheap as cooking yourself but great if you are slow in the morning like me.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian Chili.

1 ¼ cup coarsely chopped onions
    1 cup each chopped sweet green and red pepper
    ¾ cup each chopped celery and chopped carrots
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp. chili powder
    1 ½ cup quartered mushrooms
    1 cup cubed zucchini
    1 can (28oz) tomatoes un-drained and cut up
    2 cans (19oz ) mixed beans drained and rinsed
    1 can (12oz) kernel corn un-drained
    1 tbsp. cumin
    1 ½ tsp. each dried oregano and dried basil
    ½ tsp. cayenne pepper ( adjust to taste)

Spray a large saucepan with non-stick spray.
    Add onions, peppers, celery, carrots, broth, garlic and chili powder.
    Cook over medium heat, stirring often till veggies are softened, about 6 minutes

Add ground round, mushrooms and zucchini, cook and stir 4 more minutes

Add tomatoes, beans, chickpeas, corn (with liquid), cumin, oregano, basil, and cayenne pepper.
    Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low.
    Cover and simmer 20 minutes stirring occasionally.

*I used two cans of mixed beans, but I believe the original recipe calls for one can of black beans and one can of chick peas. I also use low sodium tomatoes, and occasionally throw in some TVP. The recipe freezes or goes in the fridge and reheats well. A large pot can last a while.
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Go to myrecipes.com and search for vegetarian meals. They have a whole section of light meals.