NEW FITBIT USER

Options
just bought a Fitbit flex , my only question is understanding the positive/negative adjustments . Can someone explain the two to me please ? Right now it's says -100. Is that good bad ??

Replies

• AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with flex (i have a charge) but you may be better off asking this question in the fitbit group. It is really easy to find as it is one of the most popular groups on here
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    just bought a Fitbit flex , my only question is understanding the positive/negative adjustments . Can someone explain the two to me please ?

Here's the explanation I posted in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

You lose weight by eating at a deficit—which means eating fewer calories than you burn. For every .5 lb. you want to lose per week, your deficit is 250 calories per day.

Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, aka your maintenance calories). Adjustments are the difference between your Fitbit burn and your activity level.

Click on any adjustment to see the math MFP used to calculate it. For example:
    Fitbit calories 1,238
    MFP calories 1,413
    Adjustment -175*

*If you disable negative calorie adjustments, your adjustment is zero—and you don't eat at a true deficit.

Negative calorie adjustments never, ever put your calorie goal below 1,200. So if you set your goal too aggressively for your size, you still won't eat at a true deficit.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you do not enable negative calorie adjustments then your adjustment will be:

0 if your actual calories burned according to Fitbit is less than what MFP projected you'll burn based on height, weight etc. and your stated activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc.); if you have negative calories enabled it will deduct from your calorie intake goal if you're behind. Use this as motivation to move more.

More than 0 if your actual burn according to Fitbit is more than MFP's projection.

Example: based on my current stats (5'5.5", 123ish pounds, 40, female) and lightly active MFP thinks I'm going to burn 1747 a day. Note: my BMR is about 1230. The last time I synced, Fitbit said I had already burned 1116 as of 2:48pm. Based on that, MFP thinks I'll burn 1786 which is more than 1747. So I've earned an extra 39. When I go for a run this evening, I'll earn more. I expect to end the day around 1900-2000 calories burned which would be an adjustment of 150-250 extra calories.