Is exercise necessary?

Options
gizmosmom02
gizmosmom02 Posts: 29 Member
I sort of know the answer to this question. Weight loss is all about a calorie deficit, therefore exercise isn't absolutely necessary, but it does help with toning and increases the calorie deficit. That's the theory.

Has anyone lost weight without exercising? I ask because every time I try to jog on my treadmill I am so sore the next day I can barely walk. Not kidding. Also, exercise makes me more hungry. I need to lose 50 lbs.
Thanks for your advice.

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    it's not necessary to exercise for weight loss if you eat at a deficit

but it is awesome
  • kellyzita4
    kellyzita4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I certainly can't speak for everyone, but in my experience, exercise is absolutely necessary. If I only eat a calorie deficit, I just don't lose at all. As soon as I start walking, though, the weight loss happens. I know that in theory, I shouldn't have to walk, but in reality, I do if I want to lose.

If you're just starting out with the exercise, you might try walking for awhile and working your way up to jogging over several weeks/months. And make sure you have some good sneakers - no cheapies. Your shoes can make a big difference in how your legs and back feel after you've been on the treadmill.

Best of luck to you!
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

Exercise isn't 100% necessary... but it is definitely super helpful. If you're looking for more muscle tone, as well as weight loss, you should try lifting weights. Cardio (running/jogging, elliptical, etc) will help burn calories, but you can burn calories and build some lean muscle by lifting weights. Also, by building a bit of lean muscle, it will help your metabolism and help you burn more fat during the day (even when you're not exercising). Exercising is definitely going to make you want to eat more. So if you're exercising, don't limit your calories too much! You want to eat healthy whole foods, instead of processed crap. Tracking on MFP definitely helps see where your problem areas are, but just make sure you're still feeding yourself enough to fuel your new muscle growth!

If you want to lose weight without exercising, you definitely can... it's just a lot more work and you won't get the same results as you would with weight lifting. :)

Good luck!
  • brockbennett1981
    brockbennett1981 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I sort of know the answer to this question. Weight loss is all about a calorie deficit, therefore exercise isn't absolutely necessary, but it does help with toning and increases the calorie deficit. That's the theory.

Has anyone lost weight without exercising? I ask because every time I try to jog on my treadmill I am so sore the next day I can barely walk. Not kidding. Also, exercise makes me more hungry. I need to lose 50 lbs.
    Thanks for your advice.

Walk i have same problem, but if u looks at my diary i exercise very little, im 5-8 250lbd
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Exercise strengthens the cardiovascular system and tones the body. It also keeps your metabolism in check. Yes, in keeping with CICO, you could eat and have a calorie deficit and never exercise and still lose weight. With all that said, I find that when I eat healthier I have more energy and I am motivated to be active. If jogging on a treadmill makes you sore try finding something lower impact, if for no reason other than keeping your heart healthy.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I had to exercise...not in super large quantities, but on an at least semi-regular basis. It burns more calories, so you'll lose faster. It also just makes me feel healthier and more health conscious which helps stick with my healthy eating plan. It is also...regardless of weight...just healthy.

If running is too difficult at your current fitness level, just walk at an incline. There is no reason not to exercise at all.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't necessary for losing weight, but what is the point of losing weight if you are more likely to die an early death from lack of exercise?
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I dont exercise much 2-3 times a week. I mostly just walk. Why run if u dont want to? I have lost 65lbs. That being said i am slowly adding more strength training so i can look bad *kitten* and not just less fat
  • gizmosmom02
    gizmosmom02 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone. I appreciate the honesty. Will get new shoes this weekend and try to do regular walks with incline.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    kellyzita4 wrote: »
    I certainly can't speak for everyone, but in my experience, exercise is absolutely necessary. If I only eat a calorie deficit, I just don't lose at all. As soon as I start walking, though, the weight loss happens. I know that in theory, I shouldn't have to walk, but in reality, I do if I want to lose.

If you're just starting out with the exercise, you might try walking for awhile and working your way up to jogging over several weeks/months. And make sure you have some good sneakers - no cheapies. Your shoes can make a big difference in how your legs and back feel after you've been on the treadmill.

Best of luck to you!

no you just need to log more accurately. The walking was countering logging errors.

Exercise is not necessary.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    To lower the number on the scales you need to log accurately and maintain a calorie deficit. However, if you want to give yourself some extra calories to eat, become more healthy and help maintain lean muscle mass then you need to exercise as well. Do a combination of cardio and strength, even if that is only walking and pilates (for example). Try to only eat back a max of half your MFP burn exercise calories and keep well hydrated.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Thanks for your advice.

Ofc you dont need exercise to lose weight just the calorific deficit.
    Plenty of people on this site seem to take pleasure in avoiding exercise.
    Exercise is good for you, being fit is good for your health. Just because you are not overweight doesnt mean you are healthy. Its importnat to do as mucha s you can manage so you have a better chance at an extended better quality life.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I have pre diabetes so for me exercise is necessary to keep my insulin moving properly and to deal with all my emotional issues. I have changed my eating habits completely and on days I do not exercise I still lose. Everyone is different. Exercise is great!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You do not need to exercise to loose weight and running ten miles a day does not mean you will live to a hundred.
  • kellyzita4
    kellyzita4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Best of luck to you!

no you just need to log more accurately. The walking was countering logging errors.

Thank you, Random Stranger on the Internet, who does not know anything about me or my medical history, for your unsolicited critique. I will give your comment due forethought and consideration...
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    From my own experience, I would have to say "not necessarily" and "it depends on how you define "exercise"."

I've lost 70 pounds from when I started using MFP in July 2014.
    My roommate has a personal trainer, and I have had ?5? sessions with him over the past year.
    I take transit to work, and the nearest stop to my office is about 1/3 of a mile. Until - ?March? this year, the 1/3 of a mile (twice daily!) walk to my transit stop was the bulk of my exercise.

Since then, I have also started arriving at work earlier to use a more distant transit stop, and to walk at lunch time and breaks.

So - figure a minimum of 20 minutes, and a maximum of 1 hour a day walking (I now aim for 10,000 to 12,000 steps as logged by my Up24).

Does that count as "exercise" in your book? If so, then, no, not without exercise.

But the first 50 pounds or more came off with the minimum walking, and no gym time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Thanks for your advice.

It's necessary for your health but not weight loss. That said, without exercise, calorie targets are rather paltry. It's not so much about increasing your deficit as it is about being able to eat at a sustainable level of intake to lose weight and maintain sanity.

Example...without exercise I can only eat around 2,000 calories per day to lose about 1 Lb per week...this is because without exercise my maintenance is around 2,500 calories per day. Conversely, with exercise I can eat 2300 - 2500 calories per day and lose about 1 Lb per week because my maintenance jumps to 2800 - 3000.
  • alieana008
    alieana008 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "Following a healthy diet is imperative to keep you from gaining weight, but to truly shed the pounds and shred your physique, a smart, powerful fitness regimen is equally important."
    -Jillian Michaels
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on your goals. For me it is.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Best of luck to you!

Thank you, Random Stranger on the Internet, who does not know anything about me or my medical history, for your unsolicited critique. I will give your comment due forethought and consideration...

So either you defy physics and all that the world knows about losing weight OR when you began walking that put you into a calorie deficit by burning more calories, hence, your logging wasn't accurate. Which seems more likely here?