So confused!

Options
gizmosmom02
gizmosmom02 Posts: 29 Member
I need to lose 50 lbs. Saw a picture recently and it was like a slap in the face when I saw how big I've become. So a few weeks ago I did bunch of internet research and I am soooooooooo confused re: diet. I have read Fuhrman's Eat to Live, Gary Taubes books, Atkins, a nordic doctor talking about high fat diets, and the twinkie diet experiment.

So I was thinking - no milk and cereal, no sandwiches, eliminate fruit. So, it seems to me that calorie counting and mostly whole foods is the best approach, but I've still become mixed up. Is milk bad? Is cereal too processed to eat? Does fruit have too much sugar? After weeks of trying, I haven't lost any weight. So here I am back at mfp. Going to start logging food again.

I am scared to ask for advice here in case I get even more confused, but do other people feel the same way?

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I dont cut anything out. Mfp is set so u can eat what u like and still lose. Just eat the calories it recommends. Weight loss doesnt actually have to be complicated.
  • kellyzita4
    kellyzita4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    One of the beauties of the Internet is that you can find articles to backup any and every diet/food idea that's out there. You can always (and really should at some point) talk to your doctor or a nutritionist to find out what he/she believes is the healthiest eating plan for you. And the food logging is a really good tool - it will help tremendously to be able to see how many calories the different foods you eat add up to.

It may be just a mind game I play, but I tell myself that no food is off limits. However, when I track foods in my log, I find that some foods just aren't worth the calories they cost me. So, I find that I don't even want the sugar-filled or high-carb foods most of the time. And when I do, I eat them - but it's a one-time splurge every once in a while. I guess you could say I try to eat by the "everything in moderation" mantra as long as I stay within my calorie allotment. And so far, it's working (though in the interest of full disclosure, I walk about 10,000 steps a day as well).

Good luck!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that requires you to cut things out, I'd say start out fitting your usual foods into the smaller box that is your calorie goal. As you realize what foods are worth the calories and what foods aren't based on how hungry you are throughout the day, you can begin to prioritize on your own. I cut 99% of the sugared soda I was drinking out of my diet, not because it's evil, but because I needed more food. That's just me, though. You can work out your own plan based on your wants and needs. Structured diets are not required for weight loss.

ETA kellyzita4 beat me to it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I did not eliminate any food or food group when I started three years ago. I just decided to stay in my calorie limit and get most of my food from lean meat, dairy, veg, fruit, and whole grain and limit (but not eliminate) stuff of limited nutritional value. I still eat chocolate, drink wine, and go out with my friends. It's most important to make a plan that you can keep up with forever, not bare knuckle it for a few weeks or months and then give up.
  • jennok4now
    jennok4now Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've just started, and I eat everything I used to eat, but counting now,and it does make a big difference when you decide if it's worth it or not to eat it. I've been under my calories but have had high fat and sodium, now that I'm more familiar with this counting, I'll start changing my eating habits. It's nice for a change to change it yourself instead of following a diet of what to eat.
  • janismaureen
    janismaureen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lots of opinions out there. One question you could ask yourself, Based on YOUR past experience what foods seem dangerous to you… be careful to avoid those for now. doesn't have to be forever. Which foods give you energy and leave you feeling good for at least 3 hours? which of those do you enjoy? eat those food and log your food and try to stay within the calorie goal set by MFP. Are you familiar with the glycemic index? it will tell you which fruits are the highest in sugars and which ones have the greatest effect on blood sugar levels. Eating on the lower end of the glycemic index in all food categories will help you to feel more satisfied and possibly lose more easily. Logging has helped me a lot in the past lose weight and keep it off. Find what works for you and what you enjoy so you can live with it. For me lifestyle changes have been more effective long term than a diet. Do your best and when you disappoint yourself -forgive yourself instantly and log it anyway and don't give up. Best wishes, and yes, whole foods are usually the healthiest. Take care and keep checking in. Good luck, Janismaureen