Random back fat?

Options
Hi everyone I appreciate all the help I can get on here. I have a few questions/concerns hopefully this doesn't get too confusing.

I have been obese since childhood. I have been on a weight loss journey for just a little over a year and have lost 82 pounds. However out of nowhere, My back seems to have a lot of fat all of a sudden? I am 100% sure I had no fat in my back when I started my journey. I realized this about a month ago when I started having back pain. If I have gradually lost weight, why/how did I gain fat in my back?! :flushed: I don't understand my unexplained weight gain in the back area. Even when I was a lot bigger, I never had/gained any fat there.

People have told me this is a symptom of diabetes. I was at my doctors, I've recently had my routine blood work done just a week ago, everything was actually great. My sugar level has always been normal. I do not have diabetes.

Does this sound like perhaps a hormonal problem?

So i have two questions here, has anyone here know or have personally gone through this? And also, whats the best way to get rid of back fat? I know you can't spot reduce.

Replies

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can't help you with why this might have occurred, but...
    00_donna wrote: »
    ...whats the best way to get rid of back fat? I know you can't spot reduce.

I think you answered your own question there!
  • 00_donna
    00_donna Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, what I was trying to say about that is I understand that you can't spot reduce fat, but what is the best way to go about losing it? Should I just keep eating at a calorie deficit or should I start weight training?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    If you were truly obese I don't see how it is possible to not have any fat on your back. I mean, your body stored fat everywhere else except your back? I don't think this is physiologically possible. Maybe with your body's changes it is just now more obvious?
  • bugglover
    bugglover Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and I think that at a certain age the back fat shows up oh the mailbox and you are supposed to wear it like a uniform... And I had it under complete control I did not have one ounce of it.
    Slipped up
    Had a very bad year... Plus a surgery and putting my best buddy to sleep.
    I put on a solid 20 pounds. Now since I am older it takes sooooo long to get even one pound off it is super frustrating.
    I got 8 off and then more bad events with family friends. Sad times so the bagels.., made me less sad.
    I am not going to put all of it back on when I never lost the original amount.

Im not 20 anymore but I still want to be healthy.

I have accepted that I don't need to get to a size two to be happy.
    If I could get to 145-150 I would be just fine
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    If you were truly obese I don't see how it is possible to not have any fat on your back. I mean, your body stored fat everywhere else except your back? I don't think this is physiologically possible. Maybe with your body's changes it is just now more obvious?

This was my thought as well . . .
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    00_donna wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply, what I was trying to say about that is I understand that you can't spot reduce fat, but what is the best way to go about losing it? Should I just keep eating at a calorie deficit or should I start weight training?

Sorry, I don't mean to come across as snarky but I'm struggling to understand what you mean. 'Spot reduce' refers to targeting a specific area for fat loss, so it sounded like you were essentially saying 'i know you can't spot reduce but how do I spot reduce my back fat?' Did you mean general all-over fat loss? If so then yes, calorie deficit = fat loss, but as you know, you can't control where it will come off. Weight training will help you to retail muscle while you are losing weight. Hope that helped :)