Does it matter what time of day or night you eat/exercise?

Options
Does it matter what time of day or night you eat and exercise?

For example, I'm not a morning person at all, I'm much more of a night person and I stay up late working on projects and such. I wake up at about 12 noon to start my day. I usually have my breakfast/first meal at around 12:30 before heading off to my classes. Depending on my day, I will have my last meal anywhere from 9-11 PM. My work out routine is usually early at night as well. I'm just more active at night time.

Most people I've read on say they wake up at like 7 or 8AM and don't eat after 8PM or so and say that exercising early in the morning is best. Is this true?/the best thing to do?

As long as I'm eating healthy and within my calorie limit, does it matter if I eat late at night?

Replies

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    No, calories don't know what time it is. Do what works for you as long as the calorie goal is achieved.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    TiaBia9 wrote: »
    No, calories don't know what time it is. Do what works for you as long as the calorie goal is achieved.

• Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, I mean it's probably not the best idea to eat a massive meal right before bed but other than that you're fine.

Same goes for workouts. I'd say the most important thing about workouts and time is just working out at the same time each day. That'll give you the most consistency. I always workout after work during the week around 6pm but weekends I usually run as soon as I get up.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    TiaBia9 wrote: »

• 00_donna
    00_donna Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    OK good I was beginning to get nervous that I was doing everything wrong Lol. I usually don't go to sleep for 2-3 hours after my last meal, is that reasonable?

However, I don't usually workout at the same time, because my classes are scattered at all different times. I might need to work on that. Thanks everyone
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't matter.

For some people, exercising too late can disrupt sleep patterns, but you just have to try that out to see what works for you.

I generally do my main workout sometime between 7-9 PM and I eat a light dinner after that. I have no problem going to sleep by 11 PM or so. I've spent a lot of my life in cultures were eating late is normal though, so this doesn't seem extreme to me.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    00_donna wrote: »
    OK good I was beginning to get nervous that I was doing everything wrong Lol. I usually don't go to sleep for 2-3 hours after my last meal, is that reasonable?

However, I don't usually workout at the same time, because my classes are scattered at all different times. I might need to work on that. Thanks everyone
    Going to sleep 2-3 hours after your last meal is perfectly reasonable.
    You can workout whenever you want to as long as it it not so close to bed time that it interferes with your sleep.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Why not wake up in the early morning? At some point in your life, you're going to have to do that anyway.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It has some impact, but is a minor concern relative to getting your calories in order and exercising.