In the absence of other options - Smith Machine?

siany01
siany01 Posts: 319 Member
I have made the discovery today that the only power rack/cage my gym has is the smith machine. They have a squat rack (the A frame kind if that makes sense) but that's it.

I am going to be starting NROLFW on Saturday and from what I can see my only option is to use the smith machine. Now whilst this is not ideal is it really going to hinder my progress? Everything I have read says yes which is a problem. But in the absence of another option (I am assuming there isn't one, I am too new to this to know if there are other alternatives to safely squat without a power cage) should I just use it?

If anyone has any advice I would be very grateful. Changing gyms isn't an option as I am one month into a 12 mths contract.

Thanks

Replies

• missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    complain immediately and demand a squat rack.

seriously
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    use the squat rack for squats and bench.... what else do u need a rack for?

Ive never seen someone get stuck in the hole squatting... its pretty rare... it shouldn't really ever happen unless your going for a 1 rep max or something snaps (in you)...
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Can you give an picture example of an "A Frame Squat Rack"? It sounds like you workout at a Planet Fitness. That means they should have dumbbells at least. Find dumbbell variations of the lifts if you can't do barbell ones. Smith Machines are pretty worthless in my opinion. Not a natural movement for your body and completely lacks and stabilizing muscles work.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,046 Member
    IF youre gonna Bench press on those things be very very careful! I hurt my shoulder pressing heavy on those things 3 months ago. I am now at about 95% healed.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I would either:

1) switch gyms
    or
    2) Use DB variants as substitutions until they don't have heavy enough dumbbells, at which point see #1.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    You can do squats and presses with dumbbells. I hate squatting on the smith. Bench press is okay I guess, but I'd rather use dumbbells so you can build some stability in your movements rather than be stuck on a track.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    I would either:

1) switch gyms
    or
    2) Use DB variants as substitutions until they don't have heavy enough dumbbells, at which point see #1.

Agreed.

Sadly, as time goes on, more and more gyms are just turning into treadmill farms. About the only place to find a squat rack these days is a crossfit gym. or if you're lucky enough to live near ironsport gym.
  • siany01
    Its kind of like this one, not 100% it has the pegs sticking out on it though.

nz3dlk.jpg
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member

nz3dlk.jpg

use that for everything.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

nz3dlk.jpg

^ Not a smith machine.

If the barbell is free (not fixed in a specific plane) then you're golden.

Smith machines have the barbell attached to either cable like devices or vertical beams that fix the plane of motion so that the barbell only travels vertically.
  • astronomicals

nz3dlk.jpg

use that for everything.

thats what i was saying back at the start of this thread... people need to read past the subject line... ffs
  • siany01
    Im in the UK so not 100% on the gyms you guys have over there. My gym is ok apart from this. If I can use that squat rack instead I will get the coach to show me how to do it safely and I will put in a request for them to get a proper rack. In the 7 wks I have been going today was the first time I had seen anyone using the smith machine so it can't be that good for business.
  • siany01

nz3dlk.jpg

^ Not a smith machine.

If the barbell is free (not fixed in a specific plane) then you're golden.

Smith machines have the barbell attached to either cable like devices or vertical beams that fix the plane of motion so that the barbell only travels vertically.

no, this is the smith machine, minus the option of the free bar at the back. the other picture was the squat rack they have

30kx7pw.jpg
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member

nz3dlk.jpg

use that for everything.

thats what i was saying back at the start of this thread... people need to read past the subject line... ffs

thanks, mr perfect:flowerforyou:
  • astronomicals

yes... thats me...

Who gives a man flowers? How would you like it if I gave you a bunch of beer and bacon?
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member

yes... thats me...

Who gives a man flowers? How would you like it if I gave you a bunch of beer and bacon?

mmmyesplease.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    use the squat rack for squats and bench.... what else do u need a rack for?

Ive never seen someone get stuck in the hole squatting... its pretty rare... it shouldn't really ever happen unless your going for a 1 rep max or something snaps (in you)...

I've gotten stuck, it was on rep 3 of what I figured was my 1RM. Took me a couple big breaths to power out, and I barely made it. It was going to be really embarassing if I had to drop to the rack... :D
  • siany01
    Thanks for the advice. I'll put my foot down with the fitness coach on Saturday and tell him no Smith machine.

Is it sad that I am so excited, was going to wait to the end of the month to start new rules an then I stopped and thought what exactly are you waiting for. I can't wait to get going and my bubble fully burst earlier when I saw the Smith machine but now I have another option I can't wait till Saturday.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member

yes... thats me...

UHHH other then my girlfriend, ALL OF MY PICTURES ARE OF BEER AND BACON!
  • helcart01
    helcart01 Posts: 46 Member
    I also belong to a gym with no free barbells! Just a smith machine and dumbells. Can anyone recommend good dumbell squat & deadlift exercises (maybe with links to youtube so I can see how to do them)