Squats and muscle pain

Options
hi
I'm sorry if it's a silly question, but I've never done much exercise so I don't know much :)
So I've been doing 100 squats every day in the last 5 days. I got very bad muscle pain all over on the first 2-3 days. Now, however, I hardly get any pain. I didn't do warm up on the first 2 days, but now I'm doing it.
I was wandering if I'm just getting a bit lazy with my squats and don't work the muscles hard enough or my body gets more used to it now ?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am assuming these are not weighted squats and are body squats?

You could be getting "lazy" with the squats if you are not going into the full "sitting" position as low as you did at first, compensating for any discomfort or pain you do still have..

Keep in mind you do not have to feel pain (or get DOMS) to know if or to get results from the workout...
  • marjete03
    marjete03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I still try do do deep squats and keep my back as straight as I can. Unfortunately I don't have a big mirror so I could see my exact position.
    And yes, I'm doing without weights. I want to add weights after I master a good squat technique and once my muscles get stronger
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

If you have a phone that takes vid, it would be an excellent way to check form.

• DanPonting
    DanPonting Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    marjete03 wrote: »
    I still try do do deep squats and keep my back as straight as I can. Unfortunately I don't have a big mirror so I could see my exact position.
    And yes, I'm doing without weights. I want to add weights after I master a good squat technique and once my muscles get stronger

In that case start squatting with an empty bar, and gradually add weights over time. Say 2.5kg each time.

If you want dense, toned legs, then you might want to switch to heavier weights with less reps, typically up to five reps. Women generally tend to have the misconception that lots of reps will make a muscle look toned. The truth is that lower body fat and muscle density is what gives that toned look.

High reps and the recruitment of maximal muscle fibres are what causes a muscle to grow.

It depends what look you're wanting to go for.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Was the pain during the workout, or afterwards?

If after, then it's likely that your body is starting to adjust/adapt, which is a good thing. The lack of pain isn't a bad thing. Keep working on form, then add weight.

How many squats are you doing at a time? Are you doing something like 10 sets of 10 throughout the day? 4 sets of 25 in 1 workout? Regardless, if you can do 100 with decent form, it's probably time to add some weight. I agree with the previous suggestion to record yourself as a way to check form.
  • marjete03
    marjete03 Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thank u for ur advice everyone.
    I want to work on my butt mainly really.
    I'm doing 10 squats x 10 sets, I do 50 straight, then rest like 5 minutes and then another 50.
    And I use to get pain next day
  • irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I would bet that if you start incorporating weights and you will get tired in a hurry! Also there are variations on squats - sumo squats, bulgarian split squats - if you are up for it I bet you feel a big difference. I would highly recommend if you do this, to have rest days, because assuming you do get sore the muscles grow when they are at rest.
  • keniaclimaco5
    keniaclimaco5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ADD WEIGHTS! IF you don't have access to barbell then hold dumbbells, kb, anything provides weight.