Water retention because of salt intake

Options
Seigla
Seigla Posts: 172 Member
Ok so my weight graph spiked up today.

So I asked myself... why? Well, yesterday I burned around 3500 calories and I ate around 2000 or so that's not the reason. But then I realized that I put quite a lot of ketjap (indonesian soy sauce) in my food, which contributed about 10 grams of salt. According to this article 1 gram of table salt can hold 2 pounds of water, so I have the potential to hold 20 extra pounds of water.

My weight spiked only by 5 pounds, but I guess this explains it. I guess I have enough salt for a week! Will drink plenty of water today to flush it out.

Do you notice the effect salt has on your weight?

Replies

• slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Water retention is one of the main reasons I significantly cut down on all sodium-rich foods and spices. I now use only sea or kosher salt and generally use less than half of what I did before. I also try to ensure my daily sodium intake is way less than goal.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    slp51 wrote: »
    Water retention is one of the main reasons I significantly cut down on all sodium-rich foods and spices. I now use only sea or kosher salt and generally use less than half of what I did before. I also try to ensure my daily sodium intake is way less than goal.

If you prefer the taste, by all means use it, but there's no difference in the sodium in sea salt than there is in the stuff pulled out of the ground.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I was up 4 pounds this morning also due to soy sauce. I realized that when I used it that it would cause water retention so I was expecting the gain. I'm still going to use soy sauce occasionally I just don't get worked up about a gain the next few days. Sodium really affects me, too, though.
  • kari1393
    kari1393 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post! I was so angry with myself this morning because I gained 3 lbs and couldn't figure out why. This gave me the idea to check my nutrition levels and oh my goodness my sodium was HIGH. Now I know what to watch out for! :)