Burning 1000 calories at the gym?

Options

Replies

• arian10daddy
    arian10daddy Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's too early (I've been doing this consistently for only 2.5 weeks now, and maybe it's just water weight so far but I've been losing 1kg per week... And I don't even workout for more than 600 calories (as per elliptical machine)... My usual deficit per day is around 400 calories and I don't log on Saturday and Sunday. These are my cheat days.. :P
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    heathbilly wrote: »
    So question; a 20 minute elliptical workout at a fast pace, avg 136 bpm does not burn 250 calories?

That would be a high burn for me ...I mentioned before at 5'8, 160lbs and HR over 150 I get 100 cals for 14 mins intense effort at high resistance

For me that would be an impossible burn

I still want to know how the OP can do a 1000 calorie workout when signed off sick?
    Not all sicknesses involve your physical health. Don't be so rude.

And I am 5 foot 2 not 3 I wrote 3 by mistake.

Ok so if your all saying 1000 calories is too much to burn but the gym equipment is wrong anyway and I burn half that then if I still burn 1000 going off the gym equipment then that should equal 500 calories burned. Done.

It's not rude, it's a perfectly obvious question based on part information you put out there
    TR0berts wrote: »
    So question; a 20 minute elliptical workout at a fast pace, avg 136 bpm does not burn 250 calories?

That would be a high burn for me ...I mentioned before at 5'8, 160lbs and HR over 150 I get 100 cals for 14 mins intense effort at high resistance

I still want to know how the OP can do a 1000 calorie workout when signed off sick?
    Not all sicknesses involve your physical health.

I believe we've found the crux of the issue. It sounds like you may need to not worry about exercise and losing weight right now, and focus on getting whatever help you need.

And absolutely ..although exercise can be intensely beneficial it probably shouldn't include the pressure of a calorie count for weight loss

But it does all the time in these forums.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    hi
    If I was to burn 1000 calories every day at the gym do you think I would be on track for losing 2lbs per week?
    How accurate are the gym machines?
    I weigh 11 stone 12 at 5 foot 2
    Thanks

Uh, what?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Ok.. so I went on the runners world calorie burn calculator and got this:
    Nice work! You burned 1,622 calories.. Check out the table below for your calorie burn rates at this pace too.

Distance:
    13 miles
    Duration:
    02:00:00
    Pace:
    9:14 / mile
    Calories Burned:
    Calorie Burn Rates:
    124.78 / mile
    811.1 / hour
    13.52/ minute

same distance, but calculated by my HR monitor with endomondo is 1944. I can see the extra 300 calories burned from going up hills and terrain.

Using an elliptical machine =/= running
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    You can't out-work a bad diet.

And there are no shortcuts.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Ok so if your all saying 1000 calories is too much to burn but the gym equipment is wrong anyway and I burn half that then if I still burn 1000 going off the gym equipment then that should equal 500 calories burned. Done.

It's not rude, it's a perfectly obvious question based on part information you put out there

I believe we've found the crux of the issue. It sounds like you may need to not worry about exercise and losing weight right now, and focus on getting whatever help you need.

And absolutely ..although exercise can be intensely beneficial it probably shouldn't include the pressure of a calorie count for weight loss

So, if everyone in the forums started to eat dog poop for the weight loss properties, it's perfectly justifiable? That's how we legitimize things, right?
  • heathbilly
    heathbilly Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Ok.. so I went on the runners world calorie burn calculator and got this:
    Nice work! You burned 1,622 calories.. Check out the table below for your calorie burn rates at this pace too.

Distance:
    13 miles
    Duration:
    02:00:00
    Pace:
    9:14 / mile
    Calories Burned:
    Calorie Burn Rates:
    124.78 / mile
    811.1 / hour
    13.52/ minute

same distance, but calculated by my HR monitor with endomondo is 1944. I can see the extra 300 calories burned from going up hills and terrain.

Using an elliptical machine =/= running

this is a different day. This is running outside
  • k528i
    k528i Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    losing 2# a week is achievable actually, but it comes with reducing calorie intake. I've done it, I ate 1200 calories a day and worked out every day for an hour and on average would burn 500-800 calories depending on what I did, and my calorie counter was with a Polar Heart Rate Monitor calibrated to my exact age. Meaning, I had a fitness test to learn my true heart age, how fast I can get my heart rate up and how fast I can recover. I worked with a trainer and he said that 2# is an average weight loss goal per week. But running on a treadmill or working on an elliptical to me seems impossible to truly burn 1000 calories.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

So, if everyone in the forums started to eat dog poop for the weight loss properties, it's perfectly justifiable? That's how we legitimize things, right?

Ironic.

• k528i
    k528i Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eat to perform.

Cross Fit! oh yeah!

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    k528i wrote: »
    losing 2# a week is achievable actually, *

*depending on how much weight you have to lose overall
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    If I boogie a hard workout, I can run a 10-miler in just over an hour. That's running 6:20/mile for 10 of 'em in a row. Without stopping. And that barely puts me at 1100 for the hour.

No.

You ain't gonna hit 1,000 a day consistently for more than a week. Maybe two. Then you'll be so burnt, you'll never go back.

Aint.
    Gonna.
    Happen.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    OP, you're the same person who started a thread about wanting to net only 500 calories/day because you absolutely wanted to lose 2lbs/week, right?

Try resetting your expectations to something more realistic. You're in this for the long haul. There's no finish date or deadline. You're not dieting, you're developing healthy eating habits for life. Go with that. Best of luck!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    k528i wrote: »
    losing 2# a week is achievable actually, but it comes with reducing calorie intake. I've done it, I ate 1200 calories a day and worked out every day for an hour and on average would burn 500-800 calories depending on what I did, and my calorie counter was with a Polar Heart Rate Monitor calibrated to my exact age. Meaning, I had a fitness test to learn my true heart age, how fast I can get my heart rate up and how fast I can recover. I worked with a trainer and he said that 2# is an average weight loss goal per week. But running on a treadmill or working on an elliptical to me seems impossible to truly burn 1000 calories.

No, it is not. You have to be obese to lose at that rate. The OP is not obese.

But hey, let's not care about lean body mass, as long as the weight comes off! What's lost muscle as long as the scale says what you want it to say?

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's achievable for sure. I go over 1k burned per day at least 5 times per week through exercise (probably over 2K on 2 or 3 of those 5 days), but as others have mentioned, if you are worried about burning 1K calories, you aren't in shape enough to be trying to burn 1K daily.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It's achievable for sure. I go over 1k burned per day at least 5 times per week through exercise (probably over 2K on 2 or 3 of those 5 days), but as others have mentioned, if you are worried about burning 1K calories, you aren't in shape enough to be trying to burn 1K daily.

I don't think the issue is whether it is possible to burn that much in a day. The issue is whether the tools used to calculate the burn are giving accurate figures and whether someone should be burning that much while only eating 1200 calories.
  • saeku
    saeku Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Net 200 calories a day is starving yourself. Not like the catch phrase "starvation mode" -- that is a level of calorie intake that will cause you serious problems. Since most of the energy you use in a day will come from your body breaking down body mass, you will be exhausted pretty shortly, so no hopes of burning 500 daily in the gym at that point. If you persist, since your body isn't able to break down fat quickly enough to supply deficit calories, it will start breaking down muscle even when you still have significant fat stores. As a 5'2" woman, you probably don't have much muscle to spare. Your proposed diet/exercise plan is likely to land you in the hospital before it gets you out of the overweight range, and make it much more difficult for you to stay fit in the future.
  • VillageSmithy
    VillageSmithy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Your question is unanswerable if we don't know the calories-eaten part of your energy equation. A 1000-calorie workout is certainly a heroic burn, but it will not result in weight loss unless you finish your days in calorie deficit.

Shedding pounds and adding strength and stamina call for our best and smartest effort. As someone said, "All it takes is all you've got!"

You might benefit by reading the excellent introduction to weight loss at
    http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    OP, you're the same person who started a thread about wanting to net only 500 calories/day because you absolutely wanted to lose 2lbs/week, right?

Try resetting your expectations to something more realistic. You're in this for the long haul. There's no finish date or deadline. You're not dieting, you're developing healthy eating habits for life. Go with that. Best of luck!

This.

OP you seem incredibly fixated on quick weight loss and burning an unnecessary amount of calories. You don't have that much to lose and there's no need for you to keep looking for ways to burn that much and eat so little.