An interesting article based on science

Options
Sweets1954
Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
I found this article this morning and found it interesting. I thought I would pass it on.
https://www.yahoo.com/health/the-surprising-link-between-skipping-meals-and-119450821502.html

Replies

• Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I definitely believe this! When trying to lose weight in the past, I would skip breakfast (I know... a big no-no!), but by the evening I would be ravenous looking for any type of food to eat, even after dinner. Now I have ~200 calories for breakfast on most days and am able to curb the evening cravings.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    CICO still rules. Personally I've been skipping breakfast for years now. And eat up to 11:30pm each night. Although according to BMI, I very overweight. You know, all the working out and stuff isn't accounted for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Meal timing/calorie timing is a preference thing and nothing more. Eating in the morning does nothing magical for 'belly fat'. There's lots of people here who practice IF and many of us don't eat in the morning, and have been very successful with weight loss, maintenance and fitness goals.

Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a deficit. Period.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I never eat breakfast. As a matter of fact I do not eat until noon.. I lift weights and exercise and very active and skip breakfast, shoot I sometimes do not eat until dinner (and I consume all my calories within dinner and late snacks)..

I hate to say, the mice test is hog wash..
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    I found this article this morning and found it interesting. I thought I would pass it on.
    https://www.yahoo.com/health/the-surprising-link-between-skipping-meals-and-119450821502.html

It's a pretty useless article from a science perspective, since it doesn't link the actual study or give much detail about the study.

Here is the abstract, and an article from the University. You have to pay to read the actual study. And, of course, it's on mice, not humans

http://www.jnutbio.com/article/S0955-2863(15)00055-8/pdf
    https://news.osu.edu/news/2015/05/19/skipping-meals/

It's long been known that statistics show most people who successfully lose weight eat breakfast. That's not the same thing as it being necessary.

Science is always interesting to me, but I rarely eat breakfast and eat most of my calories in one meal. I've made it past the 1/2 century mark without insulin resistance or any other medical disorders and no need for medications. I'm just going to stick with what works for me.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    the classic saying
    "eat breakfast like a king
    lunch like a prince
    breakfast like a pauper"

applied to an age where most people did very heavy manual labor and needed a ton of (back then scarce) calories to just get through a backbreaking day's of work.

Nowadays, of course, none of this applies to an office life environment that is sedentary.

My typical day is 200 cals for breakfast, 300 for lunch, 2000 at night... I'm a night owl, what can I say...

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You know it's really good science when the next article is called '5 teas that melt fat'.

Enough said.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You know it's really good science when the next article is called '5 teas that melt fat'.

Enough said.

Well I couldn't resist reading that.
    • White Tea: Breaks down stored fat!
    • Barberry: Blocks fat cells from growing!
    • Pu-erh Tea: Reduces belly flab!
    • Oolong Tea: Burns a pound a week!
    • Rooibos: Cuts new fat cell growth!
    Woo hoo! Why am I just now finding out about this?

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm ready to start my tea and burrito diet!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    The article said nothing about calories. Sure you'll gain weight if you eat over your maintenece in one meal a day. Also it seems to be saying that you may be more likely to binge eat if you fast all day. I can see that being possible, but again, says nothing about calories consumed.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

"based on science" is a bit of a stretch.

It's an article, based on an article, based on the abstract of the study published in a journal.

As a general rule - the more degrees of separation between the article and the actual study, the 'looser' the science becomes (think the old "telephone" game).
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at "yahoo.com".
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    "have discovered that skipping meals can actually cause you to gain weight, specifically in your midsection — that’s right, the dreaded belly fat. "

I guess I'll get mine...some day

/shakes fist at years of skipping breakfast eventually coming to bite me in the butt. Or should I say belly.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

"based on science" is a bit of a stretch.

It's an article, based on an article, based on the abstract of the study published in a journal.

As a general rule - the more degrees of separation between the article and the actual study, the 'looser' the science becomes (think the old "telephone" game).

Yeah...most mainstream articles have pretty much diluted whatever science there was to the point of there really being no science at all backing the article.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

Enough said.

Well I couldn't resist reading that.
    • White Tea: Breaks down stored fat!
    • Barberry: Blocks fat cells from growing!
    • Pu-erh Tea: Reduces belly flab!
    • Oolong Tea: Burns a pound a week!
    • Rooibos: Cuts new fat cell growth!
    Woo hoo! Why am I just now finding out about this?

I know right?